Seth

Watch Cleaning Solutions

Question

Good Morning to you all and I hope you are all keeping safe and well during these dark hours.Can anyone advise me on if its safe to clean the watch plate with the balance attached in an Ultrasonic cleaner using Elma WF Pro watch cleaning solution then in a rinse of Elma Suprol Pro watch cleaning rinse?? I have usually used Essence of Renata for the balance but after cleaning movements by hand I decided to invest in an ultrasonic tank and would like some advice on general movement cleaning with Ultrasonic Cleaning tanks.Any information will be gratefully received,many thanks to all and stay safe,Regards Seth.

4 answers to this question

Hi  I would suggest that its not best practice to clean the balance in situ. And again not in the ultrasonic. It is best to treat the balance as a separate entity  from the movement and clean  on its own in your own chosen preparation(essecence of Renata).             Cheers

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Can anyone advise me on if its safe to clean the watch plate with the balance attached in an Ultrasonic cleaner using Elma WF Pro watch cleaning solution then in a rinse of Elma Suprol Pro watch cleaning rinse?? I have usually used Essence of Renata for the balance but after cleaning movements by hand I decided to invest in an ultrasonic tank and would like some advice on general movement cleaning with Ultrasonic Cleaning tanks.

What about a good read on our comprehensive, pinned topic:

Many thanks for all of your help and replies,I will experiment with an old scrap movement that looks like it has been lubricated with Castrol Agricultural Grease but all I wanted this movement for was screws.Once again many thanks and keep safe.Regards,Seth.

if it's a modern watch with removable balance jewels I find it's best to put the balance wheel back into the watch screw down its bridge remove the balance jewels. Then you can run it through the ultrasonic just fine. otherwise I just put the balance complete a separate basket when I run it through the cleaning machine so nothing else bumps into it.