Sign in to follow this  
Flubber

Miscolored screws ?

Question

Hi all,

I'm cleaning an Omega 613 movement and it looks really nice. However, when I started to clean it my first cycle for bridges, plate and mainspring barrel is water and detergent after which I dry the parts with a hairdryer. It would seem I did not dry the parts properly so some parts that was still screwed on (parts of the calendar mechanism) that was really shiny and glossy (like the bumper of '50s Chevy) has got some discoloration. I suspected first it was rust but discoloration is more like black. My question is what I can do about it ? May I polish the screw heads with like Autosol or something. I want that glossy shine back ! Any suggestions ?

I apologize for the grainy picture.

IMG_0645.jpg

2 answers to this question

Looks like a chemical reaction of some sort,  Autosol is only a mild abrasive so best to try it on a screw head. put s smidgin on the head and polish on a piece of card (Like Army Brasses)  May need a few attempts to regain the shine. At this point you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.  Should you need to replace the screws I have attached the tech sheet for this movement with the parts list.       good luck.

376_Omega 613 NewLR.pdf

Thanks for your help. Just thought I should mention that it worked nicely to polish the screw heads with Autosol but I could see that the heads had some damage and was not completely smooth but I got the shine back. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this