12 hours ago, ro63rto said:

These come up every few months in Lidl. I got mine for £12.99
Multiple Kelvin settings to suit and plenty bright enough.

fvcn1cM.jpg

That looks far better than the one I have. I don’t think mine goes up to 6500K. Mine makes no difference at all when I have the bench lamp on, not even worth switching on. It’s few years old now and the bench light is fairly new.

7 hours ago, PeterS said:

I don’t think mine goes up to 6500K.

That is the light temperature not the intensity. 6500 is ice cold, I suggest you try 4000 natural white, it's a matter of preference after all.

8 hours ago, PeterS said:

18W sounds great, can you post a link so I know what I’m looking for? I'm sure I would find something similar in the UK.

In the electric shop ask for a LED tube of the length you want, and the two bare holders, you will need to wire one only. These items are so cheap is not worth to buy online.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like that, I don't know if it was your intention or not, but I love the 'steampunk' look about it, if you could just fit a large analogue dial mounted in a brass plate to adjust the brightness it will be complete. :D

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, Tmuir said:

I really like that, I don't know if it was your intention or not, but I love the 'steampunk' look about it, if you could just fit a large analogue dial mounted in a brass plate to adjust the brightness it will be complete. :D

I was looking for bolts and hex nuts when i got a glimpse of the box holding those barrels and i immediately knew that this is the right thing to do. :) The barrels and knurling was all for the lookout not for practicality. I must have some rest and do something else before I go back to the lamp. More about it here: bench lamp

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, wudce said:

beat me to it. yep, thats what I use too. Esslinger is a great source for stuff but save your money for the spendy stuff you WILL need in the near future. Walmart, Menards is another good one, home depot...any of the big box stores you can get a lamp for cheap. remember, get the LED stuff-they're exceptionally bright, usually have more than one setting(dimmer)and last quite awhile. oh and later on, grab yourself a small bore light, for the close-in stuff sometimes. I've seen em at auto parts stores at the checkout lane for a couple bucks. they come in handy.

Light projected on the movement only, I make me a lamp with six bulbs( projection type) and switches to trun on them in different combination. This furnishes you control over the amount of light as you need them for different tasks.

Light where the work piece isn't distracts your attention leaves you with tierd eyes.

The light you use also needs to work with the surface you are going to work on. A green surface is very good, you don't want a light that throws out heat, you need something that doesn't give off a shadow but also flexible so you can adjust it. You also need good light in the room. I have strip lighting on the ceiling and around the side of some of the walls.  

My preference was a green surface and a light like this type. Found this on the internet its not my bench   

Benchlight2_zpsa7089e72.jpg

• Like 3

For sure get a LED light so there no heat and I also like a green work mat. I have my work table set up in a very small room and in this room there also all my computer equipment and my drum kit so no room for a bigger work table. Here a shot with just the lamp on and no over head light.

IMG_1788.JPG

For sure get a LED light so there no heat and I also like a green work mat. I have my work table set up in a very small room and in this room there also all my computer equipment and my drum kit so no room for a bigger work table. Here a shot with just the lamp on and no over head light.

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.3217233cb5ae3f889e91796b1cfcea8b.JPG
I've had my eye on that microscope for parts inspection. How are you finding it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, ThrobinsonCrusoe said:

I've had my eye on that microscope for parts inspection. How are you finding it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

So far so good. You can take pictures and do videos with it if you have a micro sd card which I don't and you can tilt it if need be. Also the lights can be adjusted. Here a shot of a Pallet fork, I'm sure it would look better if I could take the shot with it and not my hand held camera.  Only con is it comes with only a USB cable to charge the batteries but you can use a wall charger which I happen to have. 

IMG_1792.JPG

Edited by wudce

I have a similar digital microscope, and it was possibile to display the images on my laptop or monitor via the USB cable. If that works, you should be able to save images direct to your hard-drive. The images are far better quality than those displayed on the integrated screen.

5 hours ago, Klassiker said:

I have a similar digital microscope, and it was possibile to display the images on my laptop or monitor via the USB cable. If that works, you should be able to save images direct to your hard-drive. The images are far better quality than those displayed on the integrated screen.

That would be right there no output to a laptop etc but not a big deal for me since this is just for inspection. The image is far better than what you see here since like I said I took the picture with a camera. 

I use 2 LED lathe lights. It offers me more flexibility. I can tilt the light to get into every corner.

I can use it with the lathe, staking tool, jewelling tool... with 2 lights you can position them until you get a shadow free view. You can position them like a copy stand and get reflection free photos.

1049907434-323398818.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 8:03 AM, wudce said:

IMG_1788.JPG

Which microscope is that? How much did you pay for it?

41 minutes ago, caseten said:

Which microscope is that? How much did you pay for it?

Would this microscope show  scratches on the face of pallet jewel or a real tiny damage on a pivot or on escape teeth? 

How can good work be expected of a good horologist/ repairman if he is not equipped with optical tool to see that tiny damage? 

I don't think these cheapy digital microscopes can deliver the quality we need.

I wouldn't waste money on them unless it shows me that tiny damage.

11 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Would this microscope show  scratches on the face of pallet jewel or a real tiny damage on a pivot or on escape teeth? 

These microscopes are not like opticals, but for the price (around 30 € incl p&p) they do great job. As an amateur with a limited budget and limited work space, I'm quite pleased with it and in my opinion yes you can detect small damage. I'm sure you can work better with optical tools, of course.

PIC001.jpg

PIC002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1