First watch project started

Had a practiserun with the movment again. 

Was very relaxing to sit down and work on ot again. 

Had it apart and reasembled again. Less pings! Overall, i noticed big improvment in handeling screwdrivers and tweezers. Its not like the old days. But getting there. Not finding a comfortable sitting position yet. Think I’m going to build som type of raised top. Until I get a more dedicated watch bench. 

Bit off topic. But thinking of order a proper benchmat, among other small things. I see there is several types. So if you have any recommendations, I’d appreciate that a lot! ?

Hi  Both bench mats and desk top benches come in all types see below.  The options bench mat  Bergeon   around the £20 mark but a lot of people use craft mats (cutting mats) like from Hobby Craft.

The desk top options are as below  The DIY option at low cost but very practical solution to restricted space and the ready made one from H.S.Walsh. Even the ready made one can be a DIY project.  On both counts the options are numerous its just a question of cost against time for DIY.

bergeon.jpg

HS Walsh.jpg

DIY option.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Both bench mats and desk top benches come in all types see below.  The options bench mat  Bergeon   around the £20 mark but a lot of people use craft mats (cutting mats) like from Hobby Craft.

The desk top options are as below  The DIY option at low cost but very practical solution to restricted space and the ready made one from H.S.Walsh. Even the ready made one can be a DIY project.  On both counts the options are numerous its just a question of cost against time for DIY.

bergeon.jpg

HS Walsh.jpg

DIY option.jpg

I like the upper one a lot! I’m planning to find a convert a electrical hightadjustable office desk. When I find a used one in the area. Replace the top with a wood type kitchen top. Cut down to a managble size. A small and removable top like in the first image. Would be great! 

I have been using a large gaming mousepad. Its nice in regards that screws etc dose t bounse much. But I think a better mat is a needed. Rubber bechmatas seems to be much more pricy, compared to “plastic” But is there a real practical difference? 

Hi Depends on the composition of the rubber some are softer and absorb shock and the hard ones stuff bounces on,  The cutting mats are really quite good and relatively cheap, If the grid markings are a pest they can be rubbed off using Isopropyl alchohol, I did that with mine and now have a plain green mat.

• Like 1

The green mats are drafting table top. An art supply store should have them. And they’re green. 

I have an IKEA desk top, lifted on blocks, which sits on an old kitchen table in the basement. Overhead I have an LED shop light from Home Depot. I bought two, thinking I’d need more light but one is quite bright. 

Im 6’2” tall so hunch over to work but it’s not uncomfortable. The top work surface is huge (I have a tuner and cassette deck piled up on top along with all my tools and parts). I could make it another 2-4” higher but it’s working and cost was very low. 

• Like 2

Yesturday afternoon. I started to work on the donor st96 movment. 

It is in much, much better condition, than the one I started with. Nice experience! It feels that the skills are imroving. But springs and clickworks are still my nemisis! ?(but starting to get a hang of it) A few pings. But only a clickwork yokelevel/cam lost. Also have to say, it seem to be a bit better production quality. 

I always seems to forget to fit the yoke, the one that is connected to the stemscrew..Ofcoarse when the barrelbrige is all set and done. Including the clickspring! ?

During the night. I discovered that the tweezers needed better dressing. Made a noticble improvment. Eventhough I was getting tired. Bit had so fun, I couldnt stop working. 

Finding ”pings” in a better way. I took some extruded pvc board (commonly named Forex) that is used for advertising/signs ect. Fitted a few feet of selfadhisive magenticstrips. To sweep the floor and desk with. Had a few lucks with that. Things seems to ”ping” to other places, directions. Than you actually think they do. ??

The movment was quite clean. But did try a regime of letting it soak in 3M industrial cleaner. Then rapidly flushed with hot water. Then final rinse in IPA. (Not the beer, though it’s nice) Pallet fork and balance did have a bath in lighter fluid. 

Did take my time oiling. Including first proper removal and cleaning of the cap jewels. This morning it was up and running! ?????

What a joy! ? 

Sitting there watching the movment ticking away friskly! Albeit tired and with sore eyes and neck. It feels really nice! 

Realized a few things. I need a stem and crown! Also a few screwdrivers needs dressing. So I went to order a stem, crown and the classic dressing tool. While browsing cousins. I realized, it would be nice to see how well the thing ticking on the desk. Actually runs.. So clicked and added a timegrapher to the basket. Expensive morning. Cant wait for the stem though! ?

Wish you all out there, a nice sunday! 

Dont forget to fika! (Google Swedish fika) 

E1928969-1CD7-4940-A5D8-40E8B5591529.jpeg

B7A483BB-D284-46E9-A89C-2F29087EA2D2.jpeg

73B23ED1-E080-424A-86F6-75C8446A75A7.jpeg

515F1D5D-664E-4C9C-8BFE-B750C80C62C2.jpeg

E37F7EDD-E1D0-46C5-A75E-7457A6D358E9.jpeg

AB64CE18-03BF-49E5-BC7E-8304BD4F0760.jpeg

F3C286F8-A8AF-45E0-83FB-877D07370F58.jpeg

1B780E54-106E-4876-8580-B0627B070DE5.jpeg

Edited by Rocket
  • Like 3

Small uppdate. 

The movment has now been ticking away with good spirit for about 46 houers. Checking it now and then. Have to say it feels very, very nice. Watching the balance, fork nd timing wheel ticking on beautifully. Is a nice feeling! 

Cant wait until the timegrapher arrives. Start learning adjusting ect! 

And oh.. A landeron 48 movement arrives any day. Longterm project. Bit can’t wait to check how the cronograph works, works.. ? 

But first, lets finish this watch! 

44 minutes ago, HSL said:

Looking good rocket man a couple of more rounds and you are ready for the next level! .. After that the Landeron 48 ?

Leveling up, like in gaming! ?

I have to say, this is a nice movment! 

Today was another good day! 

The timegrapher arrived. So went to work, checking the pocket watch. Then the newly server 96 movment. 

Was Intresting. Probably doing something wrong regulating. Gave it a full wind and starting the timegrapher. 

It was going Rocket fast! ???

Never got it slower than just under 500sec a day. Got beat error down to 1.5 ms. Liftangle is set to 52. Autodetecr beatrate is 18000. 

Not sure about Whats wrong. Spring looks fairly ok to me. Not perfect. 

Was thinking, canonpinjon not fitted. Not likely. But is it needed to crate friction to slow down the movment? Sounds unlikley to me. Think I have to ask, Atleast. 

EDF71049-D179-419C-9E38-1750F5829A59.jpeg

19 hours ago, Tudor said:

It did slightly slow that Waltham pocket watch I was working on. 

But it’s not going to add 500 seconds. 

Has it run in overnight at least?

I did check it early this morning again. And now after about 28 hrs. 

Been very buisy day working. But thank god, one have watches to think about too!  ? 

But its a intresting problem. It shouldn't be overpowered by the mainspring. As it easily stops. It now runs at about +570 sec away. As slow as I can get it. Dial down.  Now, if I move it to another position. it tends to stop completely. 

Maby my timegrapher setting are messed up? Liftangle is set to 52. 18000beatrate. 

As Tg is brand new, and me too.. I had to make a check with the pocket watch. Regulated it a bit. Worked as a charm. It needs a service. But keeps close to - 10 sec a day. Dial up. +25 in crown up position. should be fairly ok, for a pocket watch. 1930´s era? 

0BF7F519-72C2-424D-9AE8-C44CFCA3A3D3.jpeg

084AD8F9-F60C-48B3-B4DA-9F0DF8397D12.jpeg

So when trying to regulate the ST96 it only responces with a zero to +570 spann, since everything else looks good there probably is a hickup on the hairspring a small nick, dirt, oil or magnetism. You should be able to see if it compresses to much so the hairspring sticks or are stuck all the time. This phenomena makes the spring act shorter and the rate shoots away into the sky.

• Like 1

Ty HSL. Sounds logical! 

Did just take a few pictures from right above. Including a slowmo. clip. Intresting!  (could not up load the clip) 

I think the hairspring, Neds adjusting the "bend" that goes up to the regulator clip/pivot. (not sure about the correct term) 

The spring is overall, poking towards the mainspring barrel. E.g. Its not circular even. ?

532CDAD8-0992-4F9E-AA82-437C9A3EEFEA.jpeg

Just a thought. 

I feel spoiled, being able to learn all this, via such forums like this. 

Getting this knowledge before the inter webs era. Was only true a real watchmakers school. Or very, very frustrating hard and dedicated work.  

With that. We can stand assured, watchmaking is not going to die. Probably on the contrary. More and more ppl will appreciate skilled work, and things as mechanical watches. 

On 7/31/2020 at 12:34 AM, Rocket said:

A microscope is now on the wishlist

Hej och välkommen Johan! Kul med ytterligare en landsman!

During my first service attempt some years ago I decided to invest in an inexpensive Chinese stereo microscope from eBay (you can read about it here) and I still consider it my most important tool alongside my tweezers, screwdrivers, and oilers. Using the scope I can see exactly what's going on, what I'm doing and the result of it and it's just invaluable. I just couldn't do without it.

• Like 1

Well done!  I got more than one Oris from eBay from India for a song.  The dial was repainted, and that was the strongpoint.  It, too was glued to the main plate. 

Yes, the parts are small, aren't they?  ?  It gets better when you disassemble, oil and try to put back together an incabloc assembly; the one held in place with the rotating spring.  Once the spring is off, you develop an appreciation for how small things are.  Once the cap jewel is removed from the ass'y, it has to be in the top 10 for smallest manual-wind movement part.  If you're familiar with the game tiddly winks, that's what picking up that jewel is like.  It's small to the point where one could place it in a zero from the date on an American dime, and if viewed from the side, it wouldn't protrude.  I exaggerate, but that's small!

You really did go big with the screwdrivers.  Good luck getting that watch tip top. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tudor said:

Little bits of Rodico are great for handling the really small parts.

Either by itself, or stuck on the end of a toothpick or other small stick of some sort.

Cousins also sells very small silicone-tipped devices that I now use to lift incablock circular springs (can't remember the name of them right now), and remove/replace the cap jewel from the chaton.  They work very well, and are fairly inexpensive.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HSL said:

Looks the hairspring is slightly out of order. If you peek at the area where the arrow is you see it might be a bit of contact.

ST96_Hairspring.thumb.png.6bc380dc031c955f14fdbf54595c5791.png

Came home from work, later than planned. So, I’m a sofa and keyboard horologist, this evening! ?

Sharpeyed to spot that! Have to look in to that tomorrow! 

10 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Hej och välkommen Johan! Kul med ytterligare en landsman!

During my first service attempt some years ago I decided to invest in an inexpensive Chinese stereo microscope from eBay (you can read about it here) and I still consider it my most important tool alongside my tweezers, screwdrivers, and oilers. Using the scope I can see exactly what's going on, what I'm doing and the result of it and it's just invaluable. I just couldn't do without it.

Hej, och tack! 

Känner mig mer än välkommen! ?

I have plans for a microscope. Infact, I miss one already! But on the way collecting tools and equipment. I had high hopes for this one. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/multi-lens-with-led-light-tec

Hope it would reduce eystrain and working positions. But, this one was a miss. Only tried it for a couple of minutes. Got dizzy from the absolute lack of flatfield view. It works ok in the lowest magnification. But then I can do without. 

One problem with sore eyes ect. It that one maby shouldnt do 8-12 watchmaking. As a beginner anyway. Bit its so fun, and the time flies away! ?

6 hours ago, SparkyLB said:

Well done!  I got more than one Oris from eBay from India for a song.  The dial was repainted, and that was the strongpoint.  It, too was glued to the main plate. 

Yes, the parts are small, aren't they?  ?  It gets better when you disassemble, oil and try to put back together an incabloc assembly; the one held in place with the rotating spring.  Once the spring is off, you develop an appreciation for how small things are.  Once the cap jewel is removed from the ass'y, it has to be in the top 10 for smallest manual-wind movement part.  If you're familiar with the game tiddly winks, that's what picking up that jewel is like.  It's small to the point where one could place it in a zero from the date on an American dime, and if viewed from the side, it wouldn't protrude.  I exaggerate, but that's small!

You really did go big with the screwdrivers.  Good luck getting that watch tip top. 

Ty! ??

it is really fun! But,  it would not be possible without the welcoming knowledge of all the people. I think ”hairspring”, is called that. Just because it gives people grey hair! ?

I have had the incablock apart, cleand and oiled. Well, a reasonable try anyway. It was not easy. Not at all.. The bottom one, pinged away. Almost got brown pants. Because I didnt have any replacement. Was 2am. And I was close to get it ticking. Thankfully, it didnt go far, and I found it emidietly. Used rodico to hold it in place. Well, almost lost it in the rodico while trying to clean it. ? After som quite nervous and shaky time. I got it popped in place. Fitted the balance, winded the barrel, and ot ticked away nicly. 

Was tired, but sheerfully happy! 

I do notice, that practice makes perfect. Well, in my case. Better anyway! ??

On the screwdrivers. Im very happy with them. Feels solid and ackurate when working with them. They are also pretty! 

As most, I do regret not getting better tweezers. But I knew I had one better somwhere. Was looking through my old finemechanik tools stasch. Bit could not for my life find it. The other day, I suddenly found it in my wifes hands! 

She had my boley Leinen tweezer, picking ticks from the family dog! ???

Well, she now got a ”better” one. As she needs propper tools for picking ticks from the family dog! ?