Advice needed

Hi fellow inmates, first I know nothing about quartz watches, but have my cousins Orient that is a "non runner" I have tried a new battery so far. I am thinking of a replacement movement ? and have tried to source one to no avail. If anyone knows where I can obtain one I would be grateful. 

IMG_20200730_213106.jpg

IMG_20200730_213144.jpg

IMG_20200730_213245.jpg

• Haha 1

I'm sorry I can't help you!

Needed a going barrel for an Orient and desperately searched for one everywhere. Eventually wrote directly to Orient and beg them to help me. Their response? Never heard from them! Eventually found a compatible scrap calibre on eBay but it was long and painful process. Finding parts and replacements is sometimes so difficult it almost kills the fun and the hobby. It should be made illegal to make spare parts unavailable to the public, like it is with spare parts for cars. Anyway, good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you for putting me right, I didn't realise how hard it is to get parts/movements etc. I wonder if there are replacement movements from another brand ? I can't even work out the Cal, I see 5j stamped on the movement? Could that be the Cal ? 

More  like 5 jewels I would think.I dont like taking apart  quartz movements  myself. Too many plastic parts to break. If it isn't dead  dead .you could try the spray  and pray method. Plastic safe electric contact cleaner. Remove the dial and hands.and GENTLY let the cleaner  run through the movement  washing out the gunk. Let  it dry THOROUGHLY  and oil. There's  a good chance it will  work.

• Like 1

The movement is a cal.53530. search 'Orient 53530' in ebay and with a bit of luck you will find a working watch 'cosmetically challenged' with movement that you can swap out...:)

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

Hi Yankeedog, thank you very much, a good idea and well worth giving it a try. Many thanks.

It's  not working anyway..it has worked  for  me,or I would  not suggest  it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnie said:

JohnD, again many thanks for the information, at least I now know what I am looking for. 

Not much in ebay UK at the moment , just a few odd parts. There may be nothing wrong with the movement other than gummed up 'works', I find this a lot with 40 year old quartz watches. I do have the advantage of a Seiko Quartz tester though and can quickly confirm if the electronics are running despite no movement of the hands....

flNZXED.jpg

• Like 1

Just had a closer look at your photo of the movement and the insulator under the battery looks to be misplaced, it should be slotted over the -ve  terminal then the 'tag' on it insulates the vertical part of it and stops it touching the +ve ouside of the battery....

Orient quartz.jpg

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Just had a closer look at your photo of the movement and the insulator under the battery looks to be misplaced, it should be slotted over the -ve  terminal then the 'tag' on it insulates the vertical part of it and stops it touching the +ve ouside of the battery....

Orient quartz.jpg

Very  smoothological. Good  eye. 

Hi  Johnnie  If when the insulator is re fitted it still not going   Hattori VX11  and VX51 etc depending on the ligne size of movement. Most will need the dial feet moving or removing and resort to stickers.  And possible hand sets .       Attached two docs which might be usefull if you have to on the search.    cheers

List of WATCH MOVEMENTS J Borel.pdf Watch Movement Catalog (1).pdf

• Like 1