Vostok 2416B stops seemingly at random?

Hello, I am very new here. 

I have a Vostok amphibia automatic which I ordered from eBay last month and recently received, it was advertised as working, but I found that after just a couple of days it would stop randomly. I thought maybe I just wasn't active enough and so began to wind it a bit to no avail. Then I have it some percussive maintenance which did get it going again. It didn't need a hard tap to get going. It seems to stop mainly after it has a bit of a jolt, such as if you throw your arm out from yourself very quickly it will likely not be ticking when you look again.

Anyway my question is: what could be making it stop? Poor servicing or a need of servicing? Or could something be loose in there and jamming the balance wheel which makes it stop until I tap it and make it move?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I can provide pictures if needs be but I did take the back off to have a look and I saw no real signs or what could be doing this, admittedly I am not even at an amateur level...

37 minutes ago, Faff said:

Anyway my question is: what could be making it stop? Poor servicing or a need of servicing? Or could something be loose in there and jamming the balance wheel which makes it stop until I tap it and make it move?

buying Russian watches off of eBay can be interesting. Actually by any watch off of eBay can be interesting. Depending upon the seller condition of the watch can vary considerably. Last time I bought a Russian watch off eBay promised you working at a super bargain price it was rusty and if it was working it wasn't working very well. But seeing as how I got it so little money it wasn't worth sending it back. So you cannot always believe what the seller tells you.

as you do to watch repair this really isn't the watch the start on as an automatic as you pointed out which adds to the complex of the things. I would find something else to start with until you can successfully take a watch apart and put it back together without destroying it. Start with a Chinese clone of the Swiss pocket watch movements is a good way to start. Also good if you have a timing machine because it's good for evaluation of problems like watch you have.

In the meantime even take the back often do a really good visual evaluation. look at the stem do see any signs a rust? A lot of times the gaskets will disintegrate water will get in any signs a rust anywhere. But at the pivots do they look like they still have oil. Usually can see the oil on the balance pivots it looks dry minutes indication that it hasn't been serviced in a very long time which is my wild guess. Timing machine would be nice for evaluation while it's running.

• Like 1

Hi John this one was only £30 so not too bothered about sending it back, I have messaged the seller and asked if the seller would send me a replacement movement.

I will look in the movement later today and see if there is any rust and I will attach a photo of the movement to here so you can have a look to see if I'm not looking well enough.

But I may just buy one from meranom and replace it that the way. That should alleviate the problem I should think. 

I've taken apart and put back together a raketa 2609.ha movement and despite the fact it already didn't work I could get all the gears moving just the balance wheel was broken and still is. 

Thanks for your reply John!

Hi, You can try giving it a full manual wind with a screwdriver through ratchet screw.

If you did not hear a sound of sudden power discharge from the barrel and it wound near full, bench test how long it runs, if it ran good on bench, then repeat the same but on wrist this time.

Discharge power through the click, give a turn of the crown wind.

As you keep an eye on the fork pallets and escape wheel, turn the balance wheel to where pallet dose a drop at which point the fork should be at midpoint between banking pins, if it isn't in midsection move the stud carier to have the fork in said mid-section when the balance comes to rest.

Check pallets for possible misalignment and  end and side shake you have access to.

Report the collected data back, for discussion and possible diagnostic.

Regards 

Hello there, thanks for your replies, I shall attach some pictures of the movement below, I'm sorry they are not very good, I just used my phone which has a camera of questionable quality.

So I removed the back and began to tilt the watch to gauge if it was stopping at certain angles, it was not stopping at all during this little 'test', I then shook it with a good strong shake and yet again no stopping it was ticking away very happily.

This is strange because whilst wearing it if I whisk my arm away from myself very quickly and violently it will stop, however it now only stops briefly not indefinitely like before, so it works well enough, then I shake my arm with a good deal of force such as that which may occur when I am working with it on, and it will stop momentarily. So now I know that it stops when I move my arm very quickly but only away from myself not towards. Also lightly tapping it on a table will yield a similar result, it will stop for a second or so then continue to tick.

As for how it runs I hadn't worn it yet today because I was wearing another watch, and it continued to tick and keep time fine, it gains a little bit each day but not enough to upset me.

Yesterday whilst it was on my wrist it stopped dead for about half an hour, thinking it may need a wind I began to wind it and heard no signs of the energy going straight to the train wheels, instead I wound it and heard the usual sounds you'd expect from winding a watch and yet it wouldn't tick, a light tap to the back of the watch and it began to work and continued ticking all night, into this morning and now in the early afternoon when I put it back on.

Any thoughts?

IMG_20200730_140700.thumb.jpg.c4f5ef9fe975552cb8cf94fe42132b04.jpg

IMG_20200730_140713.thumb.jpg.0a5be35f8b41f0e15d7b025cba478515.jpg

One thing I did notice is that the rotor doesn't move as freely as other automatics I have had and looked at, could it just be due a service and therefore lack the lubrication required to run non stop?

I am a massive amateur so I'm not sure I can help, but you are all providing helpful insight that I am sure will be helpful :)

Thanks for your time :)

• Sad 1

I love amphibias.  I think they are one of the best bargains  out there.  The way I see it.you have two options. Option one. Do as nucejoe  suggests  ,If you want  to learn. Option two buy a new movement  and replace it. While you are at it,install  the dial  hands and bezel  you really  want.you could  get dizzy  with all the parts available  for that watch.

I'm really enjoying the amphibia but now I've posted this it doesn't actually want to stop, it has been going happily all day now. Which is irritating, but hey ho, I shall keep an eye on how it goes and see if it continues to stop later on, but hopefully it's happy now. I may purchase some oils to lubricate it myself if any advice could be given there that would be grand :)

The fact that it is "loosening up" the more it runs suggests a lubrication issue to me. The stopping and starting depending on how you move and shake it could be because of low amplitude and/or high beat error. Those are what spring first to my mind anyhow. A strip-down, good clean and lubrication are probably all that are requred.

23 minutes ago, Faff said:

Okay, what oils will I need to use? And any suggestions on where I should get them? Thanks for all of your help.

I suggest exploring the discussion group and doing a search surprisingly you're not the first person to have these questions. Or wait a little best and somebody will probably answer the question for you anyway.

2 hours ago, Faff said:

I'm really enjoying the amphibia but now I've posted this it doesn't actually want to stop, it has been going happily all day now. Which is irritating, but hey ho, I shall keep an eye on how it goes and see if it continues to stop later on, but hopefully it's happy now. I may purchase some oils to lubricate it myself if any advice could be given there that would be grand :)

:geek:  him is happy.   It might stop if you tighten the back on.

• Like 1

My amphibia does the same. Every time I change the dial and hands it throws a hissy fit for a few days and needs to be wound manually. Always works perfectly after that. It's still one of the most accurate watches I own.

I think they built gremlins into the design.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oils? Talk about opening a can of worms! Strictly speaking  you SHOULD  use a proper  oil. Loosely  speaking  that  bottle  might set you back more  than the watch...now granted so little  oil  is needed  that  bottle will oil dozens of watches. You could also use 0w20 synthetic  motor oil. But that would  be improper. 

• Like 1