Jig or punch base attachment advice

ive got this nice little swiss movement made for another bulova im working on.  Actually both bulovas im working have this cam.

When i looked up online to find a spec sheet with mainspring dimensions i stumbled apon a page of a guy who disassebled the watch for cleaning.

During the cleaning he removed the cam, once clean he lubed the arbor before reassembly.  Id like suggestions as to what type of punch base attachment or jig would be successful?? Its gonna have to be tapped off somehow.

Or do i simply clean the part as is and lube tge base and top with pin oilers??

20200729_142946.jpg

20200729_142729.jpg

Never take that apart. You will never get it together and have it at the correct tension. Clean it in your watch cleaner (if you have one) oil it. If by chance it doesn't carry the hands around it is because it has worn and become loose. Re place is the best. Only an experienced repairer would attempt to tighten this. It has to be the same tension all around, if not the hands will not carry.

• Like 1

I do take them apart, but they're tricky. I have a special tool made by Star decades ago but alas 19/20 it doesn't fit. I slide nickel tweezers between the upper and lower pinion, and push on the pivot with the tail end of another nickel tweezer. A Platax tool would work too (about the only good it's for in my opinion).

If you clean it assembled, put some good thick oil like HP1300 at the seam, hold the upper pinion with nickel or brass tweezers and turn the wheel so it works in. Do it a couple of times, then remove any remaining oil with pithwood. If it's not lubricated it will fail and then you have a bigger job on your hands.

• Like 2

Another bit of advice: be careful if you use a water based cleaner and don’t dry it properly as this is the sort of part that would need heat to bake the moisture out. 

I’d possibly be tempted to just clean it and re-oil, unless you have access to spares. As per conventional canon pinions, do not leave it unlubricated, even if it feels “right” as it will inevitably begin to bind over time and possibly seize entirely.