New to the hobby

I've always liked pocket watches and have bought a few over the years.  I've had them serviced and they run well, but I've been thinking that I could probably do so myself.  I've watched a number of youtube videos and it seems possible, but I"m sure like anything, once I get into it I'll find it isn't as straightforward as it first seemed.  Anyhow, I'm about to gather a few tools and I think I'll buy a cheap movement from ebay and jump in.  Looking forward to interacting with you fine folks.

Greg  - Melbourne FL

2 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

cheap movement from ebay

there are several things you can start with broken pocket watch movements that you have no intention on fixing so you can practice taking apart and putting back together. brand-new Chinese movement preferably pocket watch as it's nice and big. what makes the Chinese pocket watch movements nice to practice on their cheap so if you break it which it probably will it's not a big expense. As you've already noted casually on the outside watch repair looks easy. So if you take apart your functional Chinese pocket watch and it isn't functional afterwords maybe it's not quite that easy. That makes it a lot easier to see starting with a running watch ending with a not running watch. Versus starting with a broken watch thinking you're going to fix at the first try which isn't going to happen. But a lot of this depends upon your hand eye coordination skill set and your ability to solve problems and work with small stuff.