Fatcapp

Which solutions for a National watch cleaning machine?

Hi all,
Quick question which I know is a bit of a personal preference but I would like your thoughts;

Nationsl Watch Cleaning machine, which fluid to use? ... Quadralene, L&R or Elma?

Also, as I'm working in a spare bedroom, I would prefer non amoniated. 

Thanks in advance

Jon

I've had very good consistent results using the Quadralene fine instrument cleaner which is a non ammonia  based cleaner, although it does have a very slight ammonia type smell to it but certainly not enough to be a nuisance in a small room , I also use the Quadralene fine rinse, both these are solvent based but are safe to use with shellac, I do though pre clean some parts if heavily soiled in dried gummy oil with lighter fluid, the cleaner is used neat and not watered down it is cheaper than other brand name cleaners.

Some people use isopropanol rinse, which will degrade shellac I personally would not use it, if you do be sure to clean the pallets and balance separately, it does have the advantage of being cheap and evaporating very quickly and leaves no drying marks, the Quadralene rinse is slower to dry but also leaves no surface marks.

The Quadralene web site is a bit poor and does not as far as I have seen list individual products, but the sales team offer good advice if you tell them what you need a product for, so ring them up and ask if you need to buy.

I am lucky in that I have two sets of jars for my National so do use a product similar to Horolene for some clock parts and distilled water for rinsing, it is always handy to have a spare set of jars for these machines.

I can't comment on other cleaners because I've never used them.

The L&R oil-based ones aren’t really very smelly. They have been an industry standard for decades, probably for good reason. I’m sure other competitors are just as good, if not better. 

Thanks for your replies very helpful.

I have now gone with the cheaper option of Quadralene clean & rinse

They were very helpful, although I had to sit down at £20 postage!!! AND that is mot next day ..... ordered Wednesdayvand expecting it on Monday!?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

£20.00 I think is the going rate with some carriers they get a bit shirty about carrying liquids if you live any where near they have a trade counter.