Watch back cases not going in

Deb

I have several watches in which I have replaced the batteries, but can't get the cases back on.  They are all snap-back. 

Men's Event (black leather band): 20/2162, 258 - crystal face appears to be protected by the front metal case

Men's Citizen: 4-731361 TA, 9060610, 44-2534, CN-7W-S (the C here could be a G) - crystal appears to be protected by the front watch case

Ladies Orient,  obtuse rectangle shape case: LTSS0053 - this case has a curved crystal, not flat, so setting flat on a table is impossible - pic included of the front shape

Ladies Orient, diamond-shape case: ZFM-199, LTSS0016 - this case has a slight curve, but crystal area appears flat, pic included of the front shape

I do not own a back case setter (yet).   I've tried using my thumbs to pop it back in place, and failing this, tested other methods using the Event watch (men's leather strap watch in pic here).  I tried the following:

1. Hammering with the little hammer that came with my watch repair kit with a cloth between the hammer and the back, and the crown on a quilted placemat to prevent cracking the crystal (this worked on other watches that refused the thumb-press)

2.  A rolling pin, pressing down on either end of the pin

3. A pair of glued together paint stirring sticks from hubby's tool shed (also pressing on either end of the stick).  The paint stirring sticks were clearly not stiff enough to apply even pressure, as they bent down at the ends and weren't able to apply pressure on the case back to pop it back. 

4. Hubby tried for awhile last night himself. 

What other ideas might I try to close these watches?   Or should I really invest in a case press?  I see on Amazon that they run $15, so maybe...but if I can do this without adding another "thing" to store in the house (there isn't a garage), that would be great.  The ladies watches are a friend's and not mine, so I didn't want to experiment on these until I found a more reliable method.  Thx!

Thank you!!! 

Rectangle case shape.jpg

Diamond back.jpg

Rectangle back.jpg

Diamond case shape.jpg

20200728_124626_resized.jpg

20200728_124601_resized.jpg

20200728_124354_resized.jpg

20200728_124532_resized.jpg

Rectangle angle.jpg

Rectangle back.jpg

Some watch cases are very difficult to close. Your best bet would be a watch press. Some are so tight that the common lever type watch press would pose a challenge.

I used a lever type watch press for several years until I injured my hand while trying to close a really tight case. Now I use a screw type watch press which makes life so much easier. A China made screw type press is quite affordable on AliX.

Thank you for BOTH tips!  I found AliExpress, and the prices are WAY cheaper over there for the screw-type press.  More than the lever-style, but willing to get this to reduce the friction in my life over these watch backs. 

• Similar Content