Crystal Polishing

Hey all,

I'm working on a Citizen, and the case is scratched to high heck and back. I gave it a clean and it looks significantly better, but the crystal is scratched badly, and I wanted to see if the scratches can be polished out first before considering replacing the crystal. I bought a "polishing pen", but I don't know what compounds to use when polishing the crystal, or even the polishing procedures in general. The case may have to wait because it is brushed stainless, and I don't own a buff wheel, and it's another expense, so for now whatever can be done with the pen is preferable.

I pick this up on Amazon and used my dremel tool worked fine for what I needed but the watch crystal I used it on was not scratched to badly. I have watch some used very fine sand paper to start then switch to a polishing compound.

https://www.amazon.com/Polywatch-Plastic-Crystal-Polisher-Polishing/dp/B07RYPG96T/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=watch+crystal+polishing+kit&qid=1595957048&sr=8-4

1 hour ago, AJG42 said:

I'm working on a Citizen

the problem with the description of your watch here is it doesn't tell us something? The problem with watch crystals are the made out of a variety of substances. then not just variety of substances brew variety of shapes some of which are hard to polish.

so classically anything other than plastic typically never got polished. Although glass domed crystals can be polished if you have access to lapidary equipment because normal glass isn't that hard. A lot of the watch companies use harder or different types of glass which is tough for the regular glass and they are a lot harder to polished if you can do it all and if they get super heavy scratches getting those out is problematic. Or there's things like sapphire crystals which are supposed to never scratch you have to use diamond compound if they ever got scratched.

so classically plastic crystals are typically all you can polish. Usually the buffing wheels are bigger than what you have on your drum old-school usually several inches in diameter the bigger the better up to a point. It did not careful you get carried away you can actually burn the crystal and make things much worse.

So for instance other substances to use since we were looking at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Crystal-Scratch-Remover-Polish/dp/B000RAYKMC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=24G92U3LL97MY&dchild=1&keywords=watch+crystal+polishing+compound&qid=1595960541&sprefix=watch+crystal+polishing%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Supermarket-Crystal-Polishing-Compound/dp/B00634K1PG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=24G92U3LL97MY&dchild=1&keywords=watch+crystal+polishing+compound&qid=1595960773&sprefix=watch+crystal+polishing%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-5

then they here's the stuff that I'm familiar with notice the second line that I'm quoting "Press gently to prevent burning the plastic crystal" it can a really do a good job but if you have super heavy scratch is cracks and other stuff there is not much you can do.

http://www.julesborel.com/products/crystals-crystal-tools-crystal-polishing/Plastic-Buffing-Compound

On 7/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, AJG42 said:

the crystal is scratched badly, and I wanted to see if the scratches can be polished out first before considering replacing the crystal. 

Have a read below. But if it's a flat round replace it for less than $1.

Its  down to economics and time,  any watch glass can be polished if as John725 says you have the equiptment,  and as jdm remarked the glass can be changed for around a Dollar, a bit more if you include a glass press .  Polishing machines and compounds can run into Hundreds of Dollars.  So the way to go is replacement.  Plastic/acrylic "glasses" can be polished by hand using propriety compounds easily enough. 

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Polishing machines and compounds can run into Hundreds of Dollars.

Actuality it's not so bad. Check Foredom TM-2 on AliX for about $50. Add 10 more for few felt wheels, compounds and diamond paste. Furthermore the machine can be upgraded with various accessories. Definitely a recommend purchase.