Longines winding watch not working

Deb

I got this Longines winding watch from my mother-in-law many years ago.  She has since passed away, so I can't ask her if it ever worked for her.  I'm sure I asked at the time, but that was a long while ago, I don't recall her response.  The hands never budged from 12:00 (or whatever time you set it to).  I took it to a jeweler twice, and paid $60+ each time to figure out what was wrong, but neither of them could fix it.  I'm thinking that this one might be outside my scope (obviously...I'm a total novice at this and they were both professionals), but thought I'd go ahead & check with y'all and see what ideas you had that I might look for.  Perhaps they were trying to keep their time down to spare me their cost.  There is zero rush on this, I will probably keep picking it up and thinking about how to tackle it as I gain more experience repairing other watches.  It's fun!!!  

Longines close.jpg

Edited by Deb
clarification

Well, it's a much newer Longines than I am used to. And there are some veterans here who may soon chime in.  But I would like to research this. 

The little number in the box: does it say 450 or 460?

I am assuming the usual stem wind/pull to set. Do the hands move at all when the crown is pulled out and turned?  Do you feel the crown "click into place"?

Does it feel already wound tight?  (Older Longines could be stiff winders to begin with, and I have heard the same of later ones, but I haven't looked up yours).

If you turn the watch back and forth, does the balance move okay? Like, freely and on a flat plane?

When the balance wheel moves, does the lever do anything at all?  If so, what?

Close up video of the movement, after being gently turned/shaken? (I hate to use the word "shaken"; be gentle.)

Hi there!  Thanks so much for helping out on this.  The number in the box is 2961-460.  Then the numbers at the bottom are 7040553.  The crown does click when I pull on it, and the hands will move when I turn it. 

It is completely wound tight.  This may be because of earlier winding.  It cannot wind more.  I tried to move it gently, but remember from before that it was completely wound, and didn't push it further than what it "feels" it can handle. 

I'm not sure how to find the balance. I'm not seeing anything move, even when I gently move it around.  I've watched Youtube videos of other winding watches, and can see that those have the gears moving when the watch stem is pushed in.  Mine doesn't budge - turned, gently shaken, nothing. 

I didn't really see the point of a video. The file size was huge, and there was nothing happening.  If you want more pics, LMK what angle you'd like to see.  In the meantime, I'll see if I can find a way to post a video.  The file size was pretty big. 

If the balance wheel doesn't want to oscilate as you turn the watch around, staff pivot is broken, to test it, grab one side of the wheel with tweezers and very gently lift about a milimeter, it should feel not loose, no slack to be felt, if good then release barrel power through the click and wind a little, try turning the center wheel see if anything moves. 

Proceeding any further is only up to you. I do the easy part " talk".

Regards

OK, I'll bite...which one is the wheel I grab with tweezers??? 

And the barrel power??? 

And the center wheel?

I am a COMPLETE nubie to watch repair... I can change a battery, and usually get the back case back on again.  I have been watching videos, but all of them I've found are for men's chronographs, and not for a tiny ladies windup, showing me what's what.  I'm only guessing...

If you mean the wheel all the way opposite the crown, then it will move when I gently touch it with tweezers, it's loose. But doesn't move via gravity.

Gently touching the wheel that is half-way popped out in the center, it's not feeling loose at all. 

This is a very nice movement, and it's quite small. It is 10,000% repairable, by a skilled watchmaker. It's also 10,000% sure to go from a normal servicing to needing several to many expensive parts, plus the servicing, if poked around at as a first watch project. Please don't mess with it until working on significantly larger watches has become second nature.

The folks you took it to before were hacks and scam artists if they charged 60 bucks to not fix it with no explanation why. Figure around 300 hundred for a proper watchmaker (plus any needed parts) to make it right. Have a google at Longines 460 and see what watches with that movement go for.

LOL!  I figured that there was a REALLY good chance I would totally destroy this watch.... :) 

I've put it back in the case and will consider taking it to a reputable watch repair person. Perhaps replacing the movement is the better, and cheaper way to go.  Ebay has one for roughly $88.  But replacing a movement I think is not in my skill set yet! 

Thank you for your time and your honesty.  Much appreciated. 

I can't believe someone charged you $60 to do essentially nothing.  I say give them no more of your business. 

If I may assist a trifle more, the balance wheel is right below that steel bridge (on the left in your pic) that is marked with "+...-" and if that wheel turns freely *and* does not wobble, but instead pivots on a perfectly flat plane, then this is a VERY GOOD THING.  Why the barrel isn't unwinding and powering the gear train, I don't know yet.  But I don't think the spring is broken either.  

Best case scenario: someone needs to let down the spring and give her a thorough cleaning, fresh oil and grease, and get her regulated.  Worst case: something broke and you may need to pony up for parts.  Either way, I gotta agree, this one may not be for a first-timer.

7 hours ago, Deb said:

LOL!  I figured that there was a REALLY good chance I would totally destroy this watch.... :) 

I've put it back in the case and will consider taking it to a reputable watch repair person. Perhaps replacing the movement is the better, and cheaper way to go.  Ebay has one for roughly $88.  But replacing a movement I think is not in my skill set yet! 

Thank you for your time and your honesty.  Much appreciated. 

Doesn't the $88 movement need a service?   Most running movements do.

Yes, the $88 movement probably does need servicing...I already put the watch back together again...my attempts at this early stage to do more than I have already done is already a bit dangerous!  I'll think about springing the cash for a reputable watch repair person to fix it.  In the meantime, I have other watches that I'm playing with, and more yet that I'm wearing.  :)