Re-casing my Wolbrook:

It is an 11 1/2 ligne Clinton "Wolbrook" from maybe early-'70s. As movements go, it's monetary value is doubtless pretty slight.  But it was my first wristwatch - from late-grade school until middle school. In ninth grade I took a fall at the bus stop, so hard a fall that it tore a divot in my knee, and cracked the watch case clean through just on the inner side of one of the lugs. Figuring the case was done for, I discarded it, but I saved the movement, face, back, and crystal (which I *can* part with, being scratched). It has been cleaned and oiled and runs well and accurately. 

Can anyone recommend a good 11 1/2 ligne gold case for it? Gold-on-stainless maybe? If it also comes with an exhibition back, that would be awesome but not required. I don't wear wristwatches that often, but this one I would love to be wearing once again.

20200727_160033.jpg

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

Dial  diameter? I may have something  laying  about In stainless..but.not an exhibition  back.

I measured it at 25.9 mm.  If you happen to have a classic case style I like, let me know how much you want for it and I can reimburse.  I'd like to try to find just a simple gold case like it used to have, a basic but dressy case. SK didn't quite have what I wanted, and the ones I saw on Ebay and Etsy didn't mention dial diameter so I didn't know what I would get.  The few others I found that could accommodate my dial were all silver-toned stainless.  (I feel I am being hard to please here, but It would feel more comforting to have the Wolbrook in a gold case.)

I have a gold 11.5" case with a stainless back. It fits an AS 1526. Dial aperture is ~26.9mm. A few scratches/nicks. PM me if you are interested, and I'll take photos and what have you.

Edited by spectre6000

It's alright. A watch is a very personal  thing. I may have something that  will work. I have a watch with that movement  with about that dial size. I will see if I have a gold tone  case that fits  it. If I do I must forewarn you,it will be serviceable  but not pristine. 

It looks like your movement  is an HB 115. I have one in a Landau watch with 17 jewels.it runs nicely.  When I get a chance,probably this weekend  I will pop it out of the case  and see what it fits. Is that  dial flat ?  Or dished?Can you show  me a picture of it in profile?

Thank you for the offers, Spectre6000 and Yankeedog. I will be posting better pics of the dial (it does happen to be slightly dished upward - the edges curve down - it had a high dome crystal) and more complete measurements and dimensions,...and this old-school analog human-being will figure out how to PM someone in this forum.  Can't be too hard.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Clarity

HB115

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&HB_115

HB120

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&HB_120

It definitely looks to be related to the HB115, but more likely a less "super-shock-resist" variation of the HB120. Ranfft doesn't have such a caliber listed, but it stands to reason it would exist.

18 hours ago, yankeedog said:

It looks like your movement  is an HB 115. I have one in a Landau watch with 17 jewels.it runs nicely.  When I get a chance,probably this weekend  I will pop it out of the case  and see what it fits. Is that  dial flat ?  Or dished?Can you show  me a picture of it in profile?

I took a couple pictures to show the slight upward dish on the dial.

And it just occurred to me: I need to find a pair of gold hands.  Back to the internet...

20200729_114420.jpg

20200729_114443.jpg

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Made an addition
  • Like 1

This is what I could scare  up. It's a well used chrome/ gold colored  case. I have verified the case and ring  will fit an HB115 movement  with 25.9 mm dial similar to yours. The back is not original  to the case but screws down tightly and has a gasket  and nothing rattles. There is of course  a no sale rule and this is just stuff from my junk box. But it should  yield  you a functional  watch.

20200731_105138.jpg

Edited by yankeedog

3 hours ago, yankeedog said:

This is what I could scare  up. It's a well used chrome/ gold colored  case. I have verified the case and ring  will fit an HB115 movement  with 25.9 mm dial similar to yours. The back is not original  to the case but screws down tightly and has a gasket  and nothing rattles. There is of course  a no sale rule and this is just stuff from my junk box. But it should  yield  you a functional  watch.

20200731_105138.jpg

Thank you.  In the interest of disclosure, I think I may have found something already.  But may I keep this in mind if the other won't work out?  That case also matches with what I had in mind. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted to this thread in a while so I don't know who will see it, but my little old Wolbrook is recased again!  Many thanks to Yankeedog here, who sent me one of his old cases.  I am wearing it now for old times sake.  As I mentioned, I wore this in grade school.  I remember checking it to see how much longer I could spend in the bookmobile, when my bus would come, when my crossguard duty was over, timed tests, so many memories.  Yeah, it's a little Clinton Co. cheapo, but it is a small vessel full to the brim with my history. 

20200918_221850.jpg