Is this Genuine Omega

Nucejoe

Wristwatches aren't my forté.  May I ask, what are some of the indicators that this is not a genuine Omega?  This is something I would like to learn.  Omega has been around a long time and I'm starting to get interested in them also.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wls1971 said:

At a thousand yards through the wrong end of a telescope fake !

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I only have one Omega which was serviced by my late watchmaker. I have never worked on one. 

Regards Joe

This has a lot of indicators the Bracelet the links appear solid on original Omega watches each link is made from multiple parts, the back is engraved "Escapement Co-Axial" it should be "Co-Axial Escapement " in that order with a circled Omega symbol preceding the engraving, the movement is chinese in origin "Swiss Omega Made" . The Omega movements have the calibre number on the rotor under a Omega symbol on the earlier calibre's or just the Omega symbol.

• Thanks 1

Looks fake to me.

b.a.z.8700_120200-18276452!3.jpg

Compare that "Omaga" (above) with for example these images (below).

Omega-Seamaster-300-Master-Co-Axial-watc

Omega-Co-Axial-8521.jpg

The tooling is far more precise, and the finish is streets ahead. I call FAUX-MEEEEGA!!

Having said all that, there are some very good fakes around, so you need to be pretty careful. If it seems too good to be true, then it almost certainly is.

Also always compare with lots of examples of the watch it claims to be, from sites like dealerships and the manufacturer. Some watches (TAG for example) produce so many variations and variants of variations, that this can be difficult, but Omega and to some extent non pimped Rolexes come in fewer variants, and you can almost always find a matching or close match to the watch that is for sale.

If in doubt, ask for more and better pictures. Actually in my opinion, if in doubt, run away, since mistakes can be very costly.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Wow!  Side-by-side, I do see a marked difference.  The upper one looks more chunky somehow, and with unnecessarily bold lettering.  The real one has a very neat, precise, and polished look.

If you hold it in your hand, the difference becomes even more obvious. The real thing feels like quality. The machined edges are perfect, the weight is good, the bracelet is far superior, the crystal is infinitely nicer. Everything about it is superior in every way to the fake.

There are some pretty convincing fakes out there though (better than the example shown), so always do your research before parting with the cash.

Or of course stick with the 404 club. At least you know where you stand with them. If they turn out to be a gem in the rough, you have 'won a watch' and nobody is going to go to the trouble of faking anything in that price range. :D

Having said all that, I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't actually *need* a vintage Omega.. but one of these days, my less than steely resolve is going to buckle. 

• Like 2

• Mark changed the title to Is this Genuine Omega