Need a little help wrt AS 1803 Movement

Hello,

Need a little help please.  I have been playing with an old Elgin SH1803 movement (probably mid 60's).  I have acutally been successful in tearing it down and rebuilding it several times (well mostly successful).  It seems I have it back together correctly (the gear train spins, it has a heartbeat even if it is anemic, the second hand sweeps, and I can set the day, date and hour) but the hour and minute hand do not move when it is in "run" mode (i.e. stem pushed in).  It seems that those hands are not receiving power...  I have to admit, I am baffled.  Any ideas?  I

Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

All,  I am about at my wit's end.  The cannon pinion theory does not seem to make sense to me.  It slides over a tube that is inserted from the other side of the movement.  The seconds hand (second wheel?) pinion comes through the tube but I can't see how the cannon pinion is driven as the tube is not rotating, at least not that I can see....  the minute wheel is driven by two intermediary wheels, one that seems to run off the barrel, and a second which to run the minute wheel and cannon pin.  I am wondering if that second intermediate wheel is somehow disengaging....  Any thoughts?

as st 1803 pic from bidfun-db.png

as st 18903 base plate gear train side.jpg

ast 1803 calendar works side.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello nlapietr,

I found your question while Googling something unrelated but I share in your frustrations.

I am in need of the wheel that is driven from the barrel and in turn drives the pinion circled (as well as the rest of the watch).  On my 1803, this wheels pinion, has lost the fit with it's wheel and nothing at all is being driven.  The barrel wnwinds as fast as its being wound and nothing else happens.

Your trouble should center on this spot.  This gear provides the clutch function of the traditional cannon pinion and is how power is translated from the train wheels into the hand wheels.

I hope this helps you.

Shane

1639098336_asst1803picfrombidfun-db.png.a6d7f8be2b676416caa665f0a54eb1da~2.png

• Like 1

Its called offset canon pinion, should be tightened enough to

1 hour ago, Shane said:

This gear provides the clutch function of the traditional cannon pinion and is how power is translated from the train wheels into the hand wheels.

I hope this helps you.

Shane

1639098336_asst1803picfrombidfun-db.png.a6d7f8be2b676416caa665f0a54eb1da~2.png

Do not overtighten, grease it, do not oil.

There are canon pinion tightening tools, I have dulled the cutting edge of a nail clipper and use it as the tool.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Its called offset canon pinion, should be tightened enough to

Nucejoe,

Thanks for the nomenclatural support.

Didn't know about the lubrication requirement for this design.

I'm under the opinion that the aforementioned oiling isn't my problem.  It seems the wheel on this axial assemblie was staked onto the shaft, (in about eight to twelve spots) and now it is slipping.  I'm not sure if it was from the factory or someone's attempted repair but it looks very regularl in spacing and depth.  I've tried shellacking it but it soon sheers free.  There isn't enough room for a good reinforcing fillet and it's to thick to wick in, if any clearance did exist.  I think I will try something a bit more modern as adhesives go.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Edited by Shane

1 hour ago, Shane said:

'm under the opinion that the aforementioned oiling isn't my problem.  It seems the wheel on this axial assemblie was staked onto the shaft, (in about eight to twelve spots) and now it is slipping.  

I think I misunderstood you, heres a picture of an offset canon pinion,clippers.jpg.9b06c4f654c541a04c968faaa334ff21.thumb.jpg.cfaa1ef4a8b16af034ab731979dba412.jpg

so, the gear is loose in your watch. In that case some folks peen the drive gear hole and adding shelac can't hurt.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2021 at 9:22 AM, Nucejoe said:

, I have dulled the cutting edge of a nail clipper and use it as the tool

Thanks for the tip!  I tried to use my staking tool but the offset cannon pinion is too small to fit on the stump.  Old nail clippers did the trick and now my watch keeps perfect time. 👍⌚

IMG_2335.jpg