Ladies vintage Seiko watch

Hi all!  I'm new to this list, just found you folks.

This is one of the watches I got from a friend whose mother died last year, and I would like to refurbish it.  It works, but the watch face needs cleaning, so I need to take the watch stem out to gain access to the face. 

Back of the watch shows it's a Seiko 2C21-5041, 452294.  I went online to look for a manual, and didn't see it.  I have tried all of the dimples, and pressed into that little divet just above the stem, but nothing seems to be happening. There is also a screw that I have tried to unscrew, but it's extremely difficult, and I have only managed 1/4 turn. 

Red circle = screw I have turned 1/4

Green circle = all the dimples I have tried pressing

Blue circle = divet I pressed into

Does anyone know what I should try or focus more on?  Thank you!  I'm looking forward to learning.  :)

20200726_112355_resized_1.jpg

20200726_112648_resized_1.jpg

I haven't encountered this particular mechanism, but I suspect that a quarter turn on that screw in one direction or the other may be all that is required to allow the crown to be extracted. Proceed with caution, it is very easy to damage things.

When you pull out the crown, does anything move on the back of the watch apart from the stem. Sometimes pulling the crown exposes a metal "flag", or a tag with a dimple in it which needs to be pressed before pulling the crown a little harder (but not too hard of course).

What are the stamped numbers under "Japan" on the back of the movement?

Edited by AndyHull

The stamped numbers under Japan are 2C21A.  It took VERY careful looking, but when I observed the watch from an angle at the divot just above the watch stem, I was able to see some movement when I pulled the crown out.  I'm thinking I need to do something there, and not the screw.  Here are the innie & outtie pics.   When   pressed from the top, nothing happened.  Should I press (gently) from an angle?

Crown in.jpg

Crown out.jpg

Cousins have the service manual. It describes the parts, and lubrication. I suspect you gently press down (towards the face) on the dimple in the above picture with your tweezer point, and gently pull the crown at the same time, to remove it, but check the service manual, and assembly diagram, which should make things clearer.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/4558_seiko 2C20A and 2C21A.pdf

Edited by AndyHull

Hmm....the cleaning didn't go too well.  I used a Q-tip with a touch of rubbing alcohol (dipped then squeezed out excess), and it looks a bit better, but not as clean as I had expected it to come out.  Less green, but still spotty.  Is there a better way to clean a face like this, or is this the best I'll be able to do?

Watch face.jpg

I tried both types of erasers (old #2 style & new white style), and there wasn't much improvement.  I think it's as good as it's going to get.  Thank you!  The watch does look better overall, I feel better now that her watch is at least clean, both inside and out. 

As mentioned, the finish is damaged. You *may* get a little better results with a q-tip dipped in distilled (white) vinegar, but the more aggressive you get, the greater the risk of further damage.  Remove any excess with clean water with a drop of dish soap (washing up liquid). Use distilled water, if the water in your area has high levels of minerals, as these can leave a white bloom on the dial.

Keep away from any lettering, as it is more likely to lift than stay in place if you rub it.

A replacement dial would be the way to go, assuming you are not able to get satisfactory results with your cleaning, but that might be a little tricky to source. You might be better to leave a little patina and live with the thing's history.

• Like 1