Rob56

Robbie56

I always wanted a carriage clock so took the plunge and bought this one for £40 at auction. The clock was a bit dirty so only cleaned with a cloth. A couple of the external screws have slight surface corrosion, a bit of dust inside the “cabinet” and the glass edges had grime build up.  There is no name on the clock, as far as I can see. I bought the clock unsure if it was working however a couple of turns with the key and tick tick it worked ! I read a number of posts on here and was a surprised to learn of the Chinese interest in carriage clocks. Is my clock genuine ? Keeps good time too.

B3AF3D38-156C-4A91-9873-64B5F32735E6.jpeg

814F0EC4-8272-40C0-B974-1C3368DAC56A.jpeg

7777BEB4-0810-4F10-B6A3-A72AC6545E14.jpeg

018F3E2C-A5E9-40CC-AFC8-254F26166DD9.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes your clock is a genuine French carriage timepiece of around 1890-1910 period with a cylinder escapement and a case style know as Corniche, they where not always marked with a makers name and many retail jewellers of the time would add their own name to the dials before sale. Apart from needing a clean it looks to be in good condition the cylinder platform needs a service it is set right at the limit of its regulation so needs attention, its important that the glass appears to be in good order because it is very expensive to replace chipped or damaged ones because they have to be cut to order, the french never really successfully standardised glass size's although they made some attempt to do so.

Although this would have been regarded as a cheaper French carriage clock when produced, the quality will still be far superior to the Chinese fakes.

Edited by wls1971

Many thanks wls for your reply, much appreciated. The clock does need a clean, particularly the dust inside the cabinet. I’ve only had the clock a few days and over a twelve hour period she gained eight minutes, the “time lever” for setting the “time accuracy” being set to F. At the time I took the photograph I had set the lever to S  and over a further twelve hour period she correspondingly lost approximately six minutes. Today I have the lever set at the mid point so will be interesting to see the outcome.
When you mention the “cylinder platform needs a service” is that the mechanism at the top of the clock which I have been adjusting via the lever ?
The glass appears to be original, heavy but dirty around the edges. I suspected my carriage clock to be at the cheaper end of those produced but it does have a look of quality. Maybe that says something about it’s age. Nevertheless it’s nice to know that it is an original piece - many thanks for your time. I’ve attached of a photo of my previous favourite mechanical clock but the carriage clock is the one I look at first !

0B259078-7AA2-49B0-A1B7-CF0B9C123F61.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robbie56 said:

When you mention the “cylinder platform needs a service” is that the mechanism at the top of the clock which I have been adjusting via the lever ?

Yes that's the platform escapement, the one on your clock is a cylinder escapement, the better clocks where fitted with platform Lever escapements, which are more accurate and effected less by changes in temperature.

wis1971 has told you everything you need to know about your carriage clock. Just like to add I can't see any fine cracks on the dial which is a good thing. It needs a good clean. Cylinder escapements don't tend to keep such good time as the balance wheel is not compensated, so depending on the weather time keeping might change a bit. 

Many thanks to you both. I adjusted again yesterday and is now 1 minute fast over twelve hours. I’ll leave it for a few days and see what happens. Not bad for 120ish years and probably continuous movement. I just had a look at the dial under torchlight but couldn’t spot any fine cracks.
The clock does need a clean externally but internally too. I was thinking of removing the case only and using a paintbrush to remove the dust. There is a single screw on the base which seems to be the first hurdle to access. I’m not too sure if I should polish externally. From previous posts I read that such clocks had a gilt finish. If so most of mine has gone so I may be end up polishing brass that was never meant to be seen ? Thereagain at the cheaper end of the spectrum the finish was maybe not gilt ?
Much appreciated, R

First I would put an elastic band around the case, this will hold it together. Turn the clock upside down and some times there is a plate that has a screw in the middle (many plates go missing) un-screw that and you should have four screws in each of the corners, you need to un screw those (make a note to replace them in the same holes when putting the case back together) the movement should just lift out. The band will hold the case. make sure when putting back you get the pin on the door to go in its hole. 

If you want to polish the case and movement just ask and I can help you. 

Thanks. There is a plate in the bottom with one screw in the centre. I take your point on the door pin, I’ve had a good look ! (The door closes well being a good fit - again surprising with her age).

Looking at the fittings I think it is some time since the clock has been opened. I’ll let you know how I get on. 
Thanjs, R

B75B44E9-F037-4ADA-B685-5B48CFCDB3FF.jpeg

Removed casing and dust freed clock as per instructions. Used the elastic band suggestion which no doubt avoided a problem or two. Noticed a repair to a couple of teeth in the large cog on the “spring drum”. Nearly forgot the door when reassembling. Most awkward part is the alignment of the single screw on the bottom cover plate. Again many thanks,

R

2642C99C-FAB6-4508-96D3-C2441B7A54E0.jpeg

5D2EB330-30C2-4B5D-AE98-325A8E9A5627.jpeg

AAAD277F-AC73-436C-87DD-D04A6E5BD597.jpeg

58619B64-C1C6-41A2-A7B2-36C08D86DEA3.jpeg

Thanks for all your help. I must admit the clock now looks a lot cleaner and should be good for a few years I hope. The photographs don’t do it justice.There are always a few carriage clocks at the local auction and from my limited knowledge they don’t have that “Made in China” feel to them.  I’ve also had a look at other carriage clock movements and a number of them have many more working parts than mine ! I’ll keep an eye open for something a little more upmarket,

Thanks Again,

R

Just remember this about carriage clocks. If the movement has had a new platform fitted leave it alone, the value will have decreased a lot. Good dials are a must, any cracks no matter how small will also effect the value. The glass panels can be very expensive to replace.  

• Like 1