As 1876 - minute hand not turning

Hi

When I install the minute hand, its sitting tight enough on the minute wheel (tested manually by turning with a tool). If I tighten the canon pinion more, I'm not able to turn hands by crown. Do I have to tighten the wheel 240, sitting above 210, marked red? If so, how? Right now, 240 is sitting loose. 

Kind regards

Khan 

20200724_120943.jpg

A-Schild-AS-1876-watch-parts-1024x685.jpg

• Like 1

I have no experience of this particular movement so I could be way off, but generally my analysis is that if the minute hand isn't rotating, make sure it isn't slipping on the cannon pinion (highly unlikely and you would feel it when installing the hand) and that the cannon pinion isn't slipping on the center wheel arbor. Also, make sure the barrel teeth are engaging the leaves of the center wheel pinion. Tightening the cannon pinion will not solve the problem unless the cannon pinion is so loose on the center wheel arbor that is slips during normal operation (when setting the time the cannon pinion should of course slip on the center wheel arbor).

Edited by VWatchie

If you tightened what would typically be the canon pinion then it would be normal for the hand not to move. The 'canon' for the minute hand needs to be a free fit on the center post. It's possible the offset canon pinion, part of the offset center wheel (as joe pointed out) is loose, but if it's fighting friction at the center post it would be normal for it to slip or if not, stop the watch.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...