Back case trouble

The other day I had a Vivienne Westwood ladies watch (Orb II vv006bkgd) and despite an unpleasant experience with a similar watch using a back press, I still gave it a crack. 

The problem with those watches is the very fragile bezel that would usually support the pressure using a press. I had almost got it in but rather than put it under any more pressure I decided to give the case a slight file to ease it in. It still wasn't going in so I sent it to my repairers who have more experience with these fragile watches. 

They have told me that the case is ruined and it basically means replacing the whole case which is not cheap. The help I need is another way getting round a replacement as all I need is to get the case back on. I'm sure they would have tried reshaping the case but it seems that slight file it was given has caused the case to be unserviceable. 

Is there a method to get it to fit again? 

I appreciate any help. 

5 hours ago, Robm said:

The help I need is another way getting round a replacement as all I need is to get the case back on. I'm sure they would have tried reshaping the case but it seems that slight file it was given has caused the case to be unserviceable. 

Please always place pictures, not everyone is familiar with this or that brand. One need to understand exactly why isn't closing, what happens at times is that the back pressed in the center buckles, and won't go in. Solution use a proper, even custom made dies that presses above the rim of the case only. And if the watch can't be supported on the bezel, it may be on the lugs using a nylon die. Again, one would need to at least see to understand what we're talking about.

9 hours ago, rodabod said:

It looks like a conventional snap-back case. I’m surprised it’s so difficult to close. 

Are you using a typical case back press tool?

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Please always place pictures, not everyone is familiar with this or that brand. One need to understand exactly why isn't closing, what happens at times is that the back pressed in the center buckles, and won't go in. Solution use a proper, even custom made dies that presses above the rim of the case only. And if the watch can't be supported on the bezel, it may be on the lugs using a nylon die. Again, one would need to at least see to understand what we're talking about.

The last V Westwood watch I used on a press suffered an issue when the back case went on. I've used the press probably close to 1000 times successfully, the particular issue is the hollow ceramic bezel around the glass. Whilst trying to avoid damaging the bezel I filed a little around the edge of the back case to ease it in. The problem I have is the back case is no longer snapping back into the case owing to the slight change in dimension. The press and lugs are irrelevant at this point. I just wondered if there was any trick to essentially remedy the back case so it fits again?

15955833908163031124592439097881.jpg

IMG-20200722-WA0001.jpg

I had a similar thing happen to me with a 9 ct case and snap back. Some metal was shaved off and it didn't snap on anymore.

I took it to a guy in Hatton Garden, London last week and he fixed it for me. It wasn't easy, but he reshaped the back of the case slightly and built it up with a little more gold. I was really impressed. If you want his contact details, message me. What drew me to him was on his website he said "No repair is impossible". Which I thought was a bold statement, but liked that attitude.

I like to fix most things myself, but sometimes more damage can be done, if I don't know my limitations. In this case (pardon the pun) I knew I needed some help from someone who has experience with these problems.

Good fortune with repairing it..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robm said:

Whilst trying to avoid damaging the bezel I filed a little around the edge of the back case to ease it in. The problem I have is the back case is no longer snapping back into the case owing to the slight change in dimension.

So it fits in fully, but doesn't snap or hold? 

If so, I can't be sure  because you have pictured the other side and the filing you did, but seems to me is a light SS caseback. it could be possible to deform the lip a bit as in making a dent on the very edge, depending on it's thickness. Otherwise one could use  a thin strip of packaging plastic.

If not, as you wrote initially  It still wasn't going in  then I'm confused, because then yes its if a matter of pressing right. And I do not see a ceramic bezel but a regular rounded profile one, that can be safely placed on a crown type bottom dies, like you have in the picture. What you want is a crown type die also to press on the rim of the case back, never to the center.

Rob, is the back now not right enough? It’s difficult to know what to suggest without knowing what the exact problem is. 

Does the case back fit over a lip, or does it have a ridge which fits into a rebate in the mid case?