Ebay Tips And Advice

I thought it might be a good idea as long as Mark doesn't mind, that if you think an interesting watch comes up on Ebay we give each other the heads up. Moreover I might learn more about the pitfalls concerning buying watches off ebay, what might be a ringer or hopefully what might be a gem. As long as it benefits us the members it would be cool I think...Thoughts?? :)

Edited by Craig

There appears to be a lot of pocket watches going cheap at the moment - most require attention, hands, crystals, etc. Probably nothing special any of them, but good for stripping & repairing practice at least. Has the bottom dropped out the market?

• 4 weeks later...

It is getting worrying the behaviour of some buyers, I have suffered quite a few last second snipes of late & seen basic stuff going for silly amounts of money. Also I have once again just witnessed another Seiko diver fake (the infamous 7S26-7039) going for good money. It appears that vintage watches are becoming over popular as are most things with a vintage tag on them. Vintage appears to be a word associated with antique but originated from the words junk, tat, rubbish etc. 

• Like 1

It is getting worrying the behaviour of some buyers, I have suffered quite a few last second snipes of late & seen basic stuff going for silly amounts of money. Also I have once again just witnessed another Seiko diver fake (the infamous 7S26-7039) going for good money. It appears that vintage watches are becoming over popular as are most things with a vintage tag on them. Vintage appears to be a word associated with antique but originated from the words junk, tat, rubbish etc. 

Well, as the saying goes, the value of anything is what the market is prepared to pay at the moment. So, I sometimes wonder whether my beautiful railroad grade watches would fetch what I paid for them. On the other hand, any watch with "Seamaster" on the dial appears to go for silly money.

As for sniping, I must confess to having done a lot of it in my time - and won a lot of eBay auctions by doing so! If you really want something, and are prepared to pay for it, then sniping is the only way to do it. Putting a maximum amount on a standard eBay bid reveals your hand as other people bid, whereas sniping reveals nothing until the last 5 seconds. In both cases, however, you have to be prepared to fix a maximum.

Ebay auctions are not as much fun as online saleroom auctions, where you really have to get a grip on yourself and stop bidding when you mean to! Even better is being in the room itself.

• Like 1

IMO Ebay is a good place to get movements to practice, ie fairly cheap and in decent shape (you have a chance of fixing them). I wouldn't buy anything pricey on there though.

To get nicer items, estate sales or garage sales are great. Find a couple of places you want to go to, get there early, have cash in your pocket. Once my 3 Ebay watch movements are fixed, I'll do another tear down / clean up, and I'll be ready to try to get a couple of nicer watches.

To me, the 2 reasons why there are so many movements without cases, is that any decent silver/gold case will be sold for the price of the metal, and the movement tossed out, or the case and the movement will be sold separately, for more money that the whole thing.

To get the thread started :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-HAMILTON-992E-16S-21J-10KGF-WADESWORTH-CASE-RUNNING-AT-NO-RESERVE-/301108936016?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item461b7dbd50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hamilton-10k-GOLD-FILL-POCKET-WATCH-WIND-UP-with-Original-Case-/231173271039?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item35d3002dff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/waltham-pocket-watch-18-sz-P-S-Bartlet-17-Jewel-gold-plated-case-/111291550525?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item19e97e4b3d

I have given up on ebay bids. Any ideas where one can get watches cheap for practice within the uk.

You could try establishing a good relationship with a local jeweller or scrap gold merchant - often they have many watch movements orphaned from their precious metal cases.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just started to go to charity shops and ask if they have any watches that are given to them that don`t work and  offer a small donation for them , I found the managers are quite happy to keep them for me they might be top name watches but they good to start with  , best bet are the local shops not the big name one`s 

Thanks for posting - at that kind of money it was worth it even for the scrap movement.

Offer sent and accepted. Hope I don't get stung for customs.

Thanks for posting - at that kind of money it was worth it even for the scrap movement.

Offer sent and accepted. Hope I don't get stung for customs.

That's great Mark, it was a price too good to miss. I didn't go for it myself because I bought an 18kt gold one last week.........also from Australia. I had a value of $100 Australian put on it and accurately described as for parts to hopefully help with any custom nonsense.

Could you not have them say that it has been sent to you for repair?

Will use it for parts or are we in for a fully documented refurbishment treat?

Edited by Geo

Will use it for parts or are we in for a fully documented refurbishment treat?

I will make that decision when I see it I guess. They do not command a very high price even when mint, but I do like the design (minus the xcalibre strap). The chrome is a bit worn so that may have to be sorted and the dial is quite pitted so that's another job and then the movement is a non-runner so it depends on the fault.

Still, for just £112 including delivery it's OK, we shall see.

post-1-0-21219200-1395764165_thumb.jpg

.Hope I don't get stung for customs.

I've always feared this myself as I buy a lot from oversees. But, I have NEVER had any requirement to pay any extra duties of anything. I'm really not sure why or how "They" decide what is taxed and what is not...

Nice watch BTW, Mark!

Edited by DJW

That's nice, Mark - just the sort of chrono I've been watching on eBay for some time. There'll be one winging its way to you soon (got to pay for a guitar I commissioned which is being strung up for the first time this weekend)... !

That's nice, Mark - just the sort of chrono I've been watching on eBay for some time. There'll be one winging its way to you soon (got to pay for a guitar I commissioned which is being strung up for the first time this weekend)... !

Off topic - I was going to ask you Will, that guitar in the background of your latest video - is it a custom build? It looks so interesting. My friend and I were looking at it last night.

Off topic - I was going to ask you Will, that guitar in the background of your latest video - is it a custom build? It looks so interesting. My friend and I were looking at it last night.

Ah - I guess you mean the  "mandotenor"! Here's all about it: http://www.willflyguitar.com/chisholm-mandotenor.html

And here 'tis in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2J74WONl7U

• Like 1

Well I get 90% of my watches off the bay, there are so many about that I set my max bid and stick too it! You miss out on a lot, my didn't win feed is massive! But you will get what you want for the price you are happy with for example last week set a limit of £60 for a pre 1980 chronograph and went looking! I must have missed out on 20 odd watches some that rocketed off some I missed by pennies! It does amaze me when some sky rocket I was winning this 151255817247 with 10mins to go for £33! (Max £50 in my head) hit refresh and bam over £100!

Back to the chrono story, I just won this 181355118149 with postage 50p over my limit but hey ho these can go for £200 there is even one on with a BIN of over £350!

I like this style of chrono and I hope it's an easy fix with the second hand I have a pusher so fingers crossed! I'll get some brasso on the crystal and run the pushers through the ultrasonic cleaner and hopefully have a presentable time piece in a week or so. I am happy to stand corrected but I think this was called the moon seiko as it went to the space station this time last month I had no seikos now I have 3!