Longcase with birdcage movement

Marty

Hi All

Acquired this longcase clock at auction last week, i am wondering if anyone could give an idea of date and maybe value. The case needs a lot of work, glue joints are failing everywhere, don't think the case is original (auction description), the dial also needs attention. The movement, all the bearing holes need bushing and the pallets are badly worn that said it does run and keeps decent time.

Look foward to any comments

Marty

20200718_154240.jpg

20200718_155114.jpg

20200722_181927.jpg

20200722_182402.jpg

20200722_182549.jpg

20200722_182606.jpg

20200722_182622.jpg

20200722_182820.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks watchweasol, it's the first birdcage i'v gotten my hands on. There were 6 or 7 in the auction all went for between £700 to £1500 got this one for £214, think I'm going to have to invest in a bushing machine.

Typical bird cage movement. No fancy work on any of the steel. Going by the dial I’m assuming its 10 inch and the markings on the chapter ring, I’d say around 1730’s. No name on the dial that I can see. This would come under the term a county clock. Another thing that makes it early is the screw heads being square. Modifications have been made around the cheeks which I have marked in red. I can’t tell you any more about the case a I can’t see the whole case. If you are going to undertake all the movement work yourself, you are going to need a set of very good clock reamers/ broaches as many of these early clocks have extreamly hard brass and can easy take the edge of a reamer/broach.

I have just seen your reply. What ever you do do not use a bushing machine, for starters they are a waste of money and you won’t find reamers big enough. Do all the re- bushing by hand. If you have a lathe that is even better. If you can make your own bushings even better. Bergeon clock bushings are really two soft for these movements.

20200718_155114.thumb.jpg.8a7ec4e04c4234178c2580d74863bd1e.jpg

• Like 1

Wow.  That is a lovely old clock.  I know little about longcases but another clue, for me, to how old it would be the absence of a minute hand.  And the movement has a lot of joining techniques similar to the pocket watches of the era. Screw were becoming more prefered and pinned tenons were fading away.  This one will make an interesting restoration.  More pics to come?

Hi OH

Thanks for your reply, It is a 10" dial and there is no makers name. I had noticed the square screw heads on the movement but the screws holding the spandrels to the dial are round heads. Thanks for the advice re the bushing machine, in the past i've always re-bushed by hand, i do have a fair range of clock reamers and watchmakers lathe, but needs attaching to a board or my bench. What type of brass would you suggest for the bushings. The auction description did say that they thought the case was later than the movement, I believe the clock came from a country house/hall in Northumberland but no sure which.

Again thanks for the advice

Karlvonkoln

I will post more pictures but it may be a while as I have two other longcase clocks, 1 wall clock and a mantel clock that I need to get finished for customers.

• Like 1

Brass Bushing Wire is best.  The spandrels screw heads would have been square. What you have is called a marriage that is a movement and case which has been put together to make one. You might be surprised how many Longcase clocks have ended up that way.  

• 9 months later...

Hi Roger

Unfortunately I still haven't started this one yet, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. I need to get my new wood workshop built (when I finally get planning) then convert my present wood shop (garage) into a dedicated clock shop. Also re-decorating the whole house at the minute including a full re-wire. when I get started I will post pictures and probably need questions answered.

Marty

• Like 1