mainspring replacement - first time advice needed

Hello All,

I am going to attempt a mainspring replacement for the first time and I will try to do this by hand as I do not own the set of winding tools.  I know it would be infinitely easier but they are not inexpensive and I am new to all of this.  Question is...the mainspring comes coiled in a disc typically.  Can it be transferred to the barrel without unwinding it and rewinding it into the barrel?  I apologize if this question seems lazy but I am trying to do this without too many chances to become unwound.

I have a video n my channel for hand winding a spring.  its frowned at by many... but it works. as for new ones , no need to unwind. Just put over the barrel so it fits and use something flat to push it in.  At least thats how I have done it anyway. 

Alignment is everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MyRetroWatches said:

no need to unwind. Just put over the barrel so it fits and use something flat to push it in.

This is how it's done and it has been mentioned here so many times (always good to search before asking), BUT...

If it's manual wind it's good to check first that the tongue engages the cut on the barrel. Before placing the lid turn the arbout with pin vices. Otherwise, depending on the mov.t you may find that it doesn't (it happened to me), and you will have to go back, remove and rewind to correct the problem. Truth is, having a winder is always a good idea.

This is how it's done and it has been mentioned here so many times (always good to search before asking), BUT...
If it's manual wind it's good to check first that the tongue engages the cut on the barrel. Before placing the lid turn the arbout with pin vices. Otherwise, depending on the mov.t you may find that it doesn't (it happened to me), and you will have to go back, remove and rewind to correct the problem. Truth is, having a winder is always a good idea.

I did not ask the question. Was answering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, MyRetroWatches said:

I did not ask the question. Was answering it.

And I did not criticize your answer. Starting from it, have added an additional tip, if you allow me.

Just now, MyRetroWatches said:

No problem. I am on Tapatalk so maybe it’s displaying wrong. Apologies

I recommend that you don't use it here. It causes many troubles and our Host Mark is about to remove support for it. The forum software is well engineered to allow full, unhindered support to all features from mobile devices.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MyRetroWatches said:

I have a video n my channel for hand winding a spring.  its frowned at by many... but it works. as for new ones , no need to unwind. Just put over the barrel so it fits and use something flat to push it in.  At least thats how I have done it anyway. 

Alignment is everything. 

I've viewed this video ( I think its yours) and it is a big help in understanding how it can be done.  You had two old part barrels and you unwound and rewound by hand. Is that the one?  I have never seen anyone simply transfer the spring directly from the disc which seems logical.

Apart from other issues, since the barrel is greased before MS is pushed in,  hand winding spring in becomes a greasy mess. Just push on the coil to insert it in, to avoid breaking the spindle,  it should be slid in along the line of cut on barrel wall.

• Thanks 1

I've viewed this video ( I think its yours) and it is a big help in understanding how it can be done.  You had two old part barrels and you unwound and rewound by hand. Is that the one?  I have never seen anyone simply transfer the spring directly from the disc which seems logical.

Hi Duke,

You're correct in that you can simply transfer the mainspring from the ring into the barrel. Just make sure it's seated correctly and is orientated the correct way. I understand why you asked the question as it is a little daunting the first time you do it but if done slowly with a flat implement there's very little that can go wrong.

Some people probably do it different but I've always used the other end of a pair of tweezers as they're solid and flat.

Good luck! By the way I haven't sprung for a set of mainspring winders yet and have always opted to simply purchase a new mainspring and insert it using the above method.

To help illustrate what to check for before putting it home I added a very crude image below. Just make sure it's all the way in up to the disk all around.

a29e6af399a137c3d7cd6f5846f9813b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MyRetroWatches said:

Alignment is everything. 

I learned how to do this from your video, thanks for that it was great.

The bit about the pin vise is great, and having one really helped me in the learning process, being able to test whether the arbor was properly hooked up to the mainspring.

I got a Starett pin vise for .8-1.6mm diameter, which is perfect for this purpose.

Edited by pubudeux
  • Thanks 1