How to make it easier to read and post without perfect eyesight

Here’s a tip for those of us whose eyesight is no longer perfect, including my own. There’s a simple way to make life easier when reading and posting on WRT. Most modern-day operating systems have tools for making all text (much) larger in the operating system. Not just in in the web browser,  but throughout.

I don’t know about other operating systems than Windows 10, but in Windows 10 all you have to do is follow the sequence of pictures below. The first and the last pictures are just there to show the “before” and “after” effect. And oh, the language in the pictures is Swedish but the procedure is the same regardless of language.

Hoping someone will find this helpful!

01.jpg.24b593ec45f16267b3b9fff3c85a2314.jpg

02.jpg.431aa689feb4eb234fb95d8f0969d9ce.jpg

03.jpg.f57a39f1beed33cdbdd47803b49eb1a0.jpg

04.jpg.7654a4ac137bd206bd019f97c4f2e3c7.jpg

05.jpg.a15dde1e753a896e1ed7ba2328f0c79d.jpg

I am still using windows 7, with Firefox, but to enlarge the text on that I just need to hold down control (CTRL) on the keyboard and spin the thumb wheel on my mouse. It also works for most other things, PDF , word docs, excel spreadsheets etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I am more comfortable with large font,  just presumed so would everyone else.

As you can see, it is easily obtainable in all operating systems. And best of all, that means we can decide for ourselves what we need and like.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I'm using Windows 7

And you likely hated it too when it was new, right!? ;)  In my experience Windows 10 is the most stable and easy to use OS from Microsoft so far and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Just make sure your hardware isn't from the "stone age". However, good thing there are options like Linux Ubuntu. I believe Microsoft's OS market share is still something like > 90 %, but historically Windows has really been a bit of a nightmare. Remember Windows Vista? :lol:

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

There is also a screen magnifier tool too, so you can selectively magnify any area of the screen.

In Windows as well (I would guess in Windows 7 too). Just press the [Windows key] and the [+] or [-] key. I use the zoom feature all the time when teaching.

13 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Just make sure your hardware isn't from the "stone age".

That is why I'm still using Windows 7. :D

I hated windows 8 and 8.1, windows 10 I've set up on both my sons new computers and could liver with as well as using it at work.

Before the end of the year I hope to upgrade my computer and will then go to Windows 10, but will have to go to great lengths to shut down all the snooping, the torrent server it installs as I don't want my bandwidth used up delivering updates to everyone else near me and of course cripple Windows Cortana

• Like 1