Users of 4R36, Need Your Opinion

Hi !

I am totally new to using an automatic watch. I have been using a Seiko 4r36 (SRPC25K) for 10 days and enjoying it thus far. However, here is my question:

I am trying to learn the watch so I have been screwing down and tightening the crown for quite multiple times since I bought it. I have particularly checked it today as I thought there was a problem with the crown since it felt a bit gritty and not smooth as I wished, as if something was blocking the rotation or the crown. I also had difficulties to tighten it. But then I figured out that I was not applying adequate pressure to tighten it. Soon as I started to use just a bit more force to tighten, the problem seemed to be solved. I tried my "uber advanced" solution a couple of times later and the screwing mechanism felt much better without any issues, and I managed to tighten my crown with no problems. Nevertheless, it is still not a smooth operation as how I wished it to be. Might I have harmed the mechanism or crown owing to this process of screwing down and tightening repatedly ? Apparently, the crown does not wobble. I don't have any issues with the accuracy of the mechanism either. I might be "chickening" but hey, chickening is not bad here .

image.gif

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you engage the keyless works obsessively over a long period of time.

14 minutes ago, Emre78 said:

Nevertheless, it is still not a smooth operation as how I wished it to be.

It can actually wary a bit between individual copies. The keyless works (used to wind and set the time, day, and date) is mechanically one of the more complex sections of your watch with many individual parts and springs interacting with each other. A little too much or a little too little  lubrication on this or that part can definitely affect the feeling. It could also be that a spring has a bit too much tension but that could change over time.

So, just relax and enjoy your very beautiful Seiko diver!

6 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you engage the keyless works obsessively over a long period of time.

It can actually wary a bit between individual copies. The keyless works (used to wind and set the time, day, and date) is mechanically one of the more complex sections of your watch with many individual parts and springs interacting with each other. A little too much or a little too little  lubrication on this or that part can definitely affect the feeling. It could also be that a spring has a bit too much tension but that could change over time.

So, just relax and enjoy your very beautiful Seiko diver!

Thank you very much. So, can I assume that the crown is basically okay? I obsessively opened and thightened it like 40 times in 10 days just to learn how I could set the date, day , time etc., and sometimes it feels like the rotation of the crown is suddenly blocked by something when I try to tighten it, then a little counter-clockwise rotation and problem gets solved. 

2 minutes ago, Emre78 said:

So, can I assume that the crown is basically okay?

I couldn't say for sure without testing it myself but from what you write I'd say yes, the crown is OK! It's probably just a matter of getting the threads inside the crown to match perfectly with the threads on the crown tube. As long as you don't force it, but just do "a little counter-clockwise rotation" everything should be perfectly fine. I have many watches with a screw down crown so I'm very familiar with this scenario.

1 minute ago, VWatchie said:

I couldn't say for sure without testing it myself but from what you write I'd say yes, the crown is OK! It's probably just a matter of getting the threads inside the crown to match perfectly with the threads on the crown tube. As long as you don't force it, but just do "a little counter-clockwise rotation" everything should be perfectly fine. I have many watches with a screw down crown so I'm very familiar with this scenario.

Thank you for your help. God bless !

• Like 1

Just now, watchweasol said:

Is this a brand new watch or is it new to you ie (scond user) ...  If brand new it is likley a bit stiff an will wear in with use.  As VWatchie said  wear it and enjoy it.

It is brand new. Thank you

3 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

If brand new it is likley a bit stiff an will wear in with use.

Indeed! I second that and Seiko divers are great quality watches!

Edited by VWatchie

3 hours ago, Emre78 said:

I am trying to learn the watch so I have been screwing down and tightening the crown for quite multiple times since I bought it.

The good approach is, leave screw down crowns undisturbed as much as you can. If you feel the urge to  do "watch rotations", buy a  winder box or give a shake to the watch every day that s not worn

1 minute ago, jdm said:

The good approach is, leave screw down crowns undisturbed as much as you can. If you feel the urge to  do "watch rotations", buy a  winder box or give a shake to the watch every day that s not worn

Thanks for the tips !

When you unscrew the crown, when it gets to the last bit of threads all the force of the spring gets concentrated to that last bit of threads which will accelerate wear. A good way to prevent this is to push the crown in towards the case a bit as you're unscrewing, especially towards the end of the threading.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

to prevent this is to push the crown in towards the case a bit as you're unscrewing, especially towards the end of the threading.

Never thought about that but think I've always intuitively been doing it. Very perceptive of you to be able to put words on it!

• Thanks 1