Elgin Sportsman 17 Jewels

madchops67

Hello everyone!... This is my first post and I am new to this forum and watch repair. I am taken by all the beautiful watches and collections I see here, very impressive. This is my first project "Elgin Sportsman 17 Jewels" and I don't know the movement (823?) any help or input is appreciated! For $8.00 off ebay and a little lubrication I got this baby running...best feeling ever.

post-691-0-56931600-1423915594_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-36623900-1423915600_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-35193400-1423915605_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-64773900-1423917091_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

WillFly, Thanks for the welcoming... the movement says Swiss and I uploaded a new photo of it. I will do some research from the link you have provided and hope to find the date and all that corresponds to the watch...thanks again for your help, truly appreciate it!

p.s your collection is outstanding!

• 2 years later...

Kinda late for this post but I just started servicing my own watches and have the same Elgin Sportsman 17 jewel watch.

During disassembly I found the mainspring was broken. Now the hunt for a new mainspring. Just testing the waters with old pocket watches and wrist watches to get my nerve up to venture into the automatic's and hopefully into the chrono's.

So far I have fixed 5 vintage mechanical winding watches and running very good according to my Timegrapher, Only broke one old pocket watch  ( I messed up the hairspring) and lost a click spring that flew into outer space on another watch.

I'm finding that the balance cock and hairspring procedures to be the most difficult for me, especially during re-assembly.

Still assembling tools for my next task of replacing the balance wheel staff. Mark Lovick makes it look sooooo easy, but I know its gonna be a real challenge. My best results were with a Hydepark that I purchased on the bay that was pretty rough. It was a real challenge servicing on such a small movement. I think its from the 1950's and the case size is only 30mm not including the crown.

Pictures are of the finished product. I should have taken some before I started. It was a mess of dirt and some rust and the balance wheel was stuck solid and mainspring was wound to the max. but I was amazed that it now has a power reserve of almost 38 hours. A little polish and a new dress and she sure is pretty :~)

CIMG6221.JPG

CIMG6209.JPG

CIMG6217.JPG

CIMG6227.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Madchops, I too am pretty new and learning more everyday, the first watch I repaired was a Seiko 6119-6400 and on completion I was like a dog with two tails, I really felt that I had achieved something worthwhile and now I am fully addicted LOL. In truth I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help and guidance of the "Watch repair forum" and it's knowledgeable members. Best regards. Johnnie