Gaston Pallet Stone and Roller Jewel Setter, any good?

2 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

At $4.75, I'd be all over it!

You mean that's all you'd be willing to pay for it? :huh: I've negotiated it down to $40 which feels sort of fair if it works well and as intended. Or, am I way off? :wacko:

40$ .. Now you have negotiated away the shipping, just the import tax left.
As my old gradfather said "He who collected most stuff when one die wins" , a motto I live by.... ;) 

• Haha 1

$4.75 is what it says on the paper; totality of the significance of the comment. I may not be as funny as I think I am, just ask my wife (or my daughter in 14 years or so).

I was looking for pallet jewel setting tools as well, and saw them as low as $10, but those were essentially just holding devices for melting the shellac, they didn't have the levers to actually manipulate the jewels. That's definitely worth more than $4.75 (though wouldn't it be great?). Personally, I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'm monitoring the market for a time to get an idea for what's out there and prices. I think I have some brass or copper plate around here somewhere, and may make something myself since it's paid for and leftover from some forgotten project... Still trying to convince myself that the pallet jewels are my problem.

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

$4.75 is what it says on the paper;

Well, some of us are just a bit slower than some others :lol: Thanks for your post!

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

Still trying to convince myself that the pallet jewels are my problem.

I have a Unitas 6325 and a Unitas 6380 (same movement with a date complication) where I suspect the pallet stones are locking a wee bit too much. I'm itching to see what adjusting them  would do, but I guess I would practice on one of my many scrap movements first.

• 5 months later...