Jump to content
  • 0
TyJlovespocketwatches

Equity Waltham pocket watch not running

Question

Like my last post, I have another pocket watch that is not working right. When winding, it makes a slight sound so you can hear it clicking, however does not get the watch running, and won't even wind the mainspring. I know that this must be looked at by a professional, but is there any way I can at least identify the problem so I can figure out how much it'll be to fix it? Thank you for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 7/18/2020 at 5:11 PM, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

Like my last post, I have another pocket watch that is not working right. When winding, it makes a slight sound so you can hear it clicking, however does not get the watch running, and won't even wind the mainspring. I know that this must be looked at by a professional, but is there any way I can at least identify the problem so I can figure out how much it'll be to fix it? Thank you for your help!

Here is an image yall

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

.I know that this must be looked at by a professional, but is there any way I can at least identify the problem so I can figure out how much it'll be to fix it?

Identifi g the problem will not necessarily let figure out how much it will cost to have fixed. Speaking practically there is no way that a serious professional will do any repair for less than 100 usd/eur/gbp. Then add the cost of parts and an hourly rate after the first one or two.

Anyway since your watch never stops winding, it has a broken mainspring. Of course it may have other damage too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, jdm said:

Identifi g the problem will not necessarily let figure out how much it will cost to have fixed. Speaking practically there is no way that a serious professional will do any repair for less than 100 usd/eur/gbp. Then add the cost of parts and an hourly rate after the first one or two.

Anyway since your watch never stops winding, it has a broken mainspring. Of course it may have other damage too.

Thanks! I just wondered if it could narrow things down. I checked in the back of it its fine other than not winding. Ill have to see if I can get an appointment soon. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

Thanks! I just wondered if it could narrow things down

it would be nice to have a picture of the watch so we know what were talking about.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

A broken mainspring or disengaged from arbour hook.

 

3 hours ago, jdm said:

Anyway since your watch never stops winding, it has a broken mainspring. Of course it may have other damage too.

 

3 hours ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

but is there any way I can at least identify the problem so I can figure out how much it'll be to fix it? Thank you for your help!

so let's just make oh wild assumption based on the symptoms and everyone else having the same answer it's probably a new mainspring. New mainsprings typically require a complete overhaul because there is probably something else. So you're looking at a complete overhaul and a new mainspring. depending upon where you get your mainsprings a wholesale price might typically be around $30. Then the silly watchmakers think you're entitled to a profit they will probably mark that up. A lot of times they might double the cost of mainsprings now $60. Then the watchmakers thinks they're entitled to make money how much they charge for a complete overhaul will vary on a lot of factors. Like where is the watchmaker located in expensive location like downtown New York for instance the rent be rather expensive they will probably expect a lot of money. Versus the watchmaker operating out of a farmhouse doing it for the fun in the middle of nowhere will probably charge less perhaps then if you're not dealing with the watchmaker directly are going to a jewelry store who sends it out to the watchmaker they typically double the price.

1 hour ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

Ill have to see if I can get an appointment soon.

I was unaware that watchmakers did appointments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You know, when it comes to clock and watch repairs, I've been known to barter for beer.

It's the same as what these fellows are saying: the price to fix it depends on many things, including but not limited to

-whom you send it to

-what the problem(s) is/are.

-if a part is broken or damaged and must be replaced.

-how easily and cheaply your repair technician get said part

-if this tech specializes in this kind of watch, and if he/she feels he can charge less for you because it may be an easy and quick repair for him/her.

One time, a buddy floated me cost-of-parts and supplies plus a case of Gulden Draak!  I was happy with that.  The man whose watch I'm repairing now (technically I'm waiting on parts to roll in) doesn't know it yet but he's only going to be charged for parts.  No labor or anything, because we are very old friends. Strangers, I probably undercharge them, but sometimes it's still not cheap no matter what I do.  Because "cheap" is sometimes in the pocket of the beholder.  At this early stage there is no good or concrete answer to "what will it cost?".

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

it would be nice to have a picture of the watch so we know what were talking about.

 

 

so let's just make oh wild assumption based on the symptoms and everyone else having the same answer it's probably a new mainspring. New mainsprings typically require a complete overhaul because there is probably something else. So you're looking at a complete overhaul and a new mainspring. depending upon where you get your mainsprings a wholesale price might typically be around $30. Then the silly watchmakers think you're entitled to a profit they will probably mark that up. A lot of times they might double the cost of mainsprings now $60. Then the watchmakers thinks they're entitled to make money how much they charge for a complete overhaul will vary on a lot of factors. Like where is the watchmaker located in expensive location like downtown New York for instance the rent be rather expensive they will probably expect a lot of money. Versus the watchmaker operating out of a farmhouse doing it for the fun in the middle of nowhere will probably charge less perhaps then if you're not dealing with the watchmaker directly are going to a jewelry store who sends it out to the watchmaker they typically double the price.

I was unaware that watchmakers did appointments?

yeah so i cant post pictures as the format y'all cant view, I have a watchmaker acquaintance that won't mark up, and this watchmaker does make appointments for in depth explanations etc. If worse comes to worse, I can replace the mainspring myself, however can't figure out how to open the back. The front is a screw off, which makes me think so is the back but I can't screw it off. Its an equity pocket watch, which is just a trade name for waltham, so I can probably narrow things down that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/18/2020 at 9:09 PM, MechanicMike said:

pictures, man. pictures. 

hey where I can I make an appointment? nah, just kidding! seriously, do you plan on attempting repairs yourself or strictly to a repairman? 

I would do pictures but as i said before, cant figure out a format anyone can see lol. I was just trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I know how to replace a mainspring, and was hoping that was all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for the help yall! Im just gonna do the same thing as the last watch, take it in hoping for the best. Its been great getting help from yall, but I know things get limited when I cant post pictures. even if I could though, wouldn't make much of a difference as I cant get the back off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
30 minutes ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

I would do pictures but as i said before, cant figure out a format anyone can see lol.

You should check your system (avoid Tapatalk) / report the exact error in the dedicated help section, because easily and reliably posting pictures is a strong point of this forum software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

I would do pictures but as i said before, cant figure out a format anyone can see lol.

posting pictures for you is really not a problem. Did you notice in your prior discussion where you posted the pictures with the file type of HEIC that that was a problem, and the answer is yes you did which is why you have the sentence above. But if you scroll through your prior discussion you'll notice that I posted your images for you? So how the heck did I do that? this has come up in the past so I just did a search on how to convert heis there's a variety of methods plug-ins for some versions of operating systems and a website found at the link below that is free. title of the website really says it all HEIC to the universally recognized file type of Jpg.

https://heictojpg.com/

 

2 hours ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

I was just trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I know how to replace a mainspring, and was hoping that was all

typically on American pocket watches it's never going to be just change the mainspring. but I'm assuming if you know how to change a mainspring of that you also understand how to disassemble clean lubricate etc. because that is usually always required when changing a mainspring. Usually that's the minimum a lot of other times old variety of other problems pop up because pocket watches typically are old old means they been worked on multiple of times and they will have or can have other issues.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, JohnR725 said:

posting pictures for you is really not a problem. Did you notice in your prior discussion where you posted the pictures with the file type of HEIC that that was a problem, and the answer is yes you did which is why you have the sentence above. But if you scroll through your prior discussion you'll notice that I posted your images for you? So how the heck did I do that? this has come up in the past so I just did a search on how to convert heis there's a variety of methods plug-ins for some versions of operating systems and a website found at the link below that is free. title of the website really says it all HEIC to the universally recognized file type of Jpg.

https://heictojpg.com/

 

typically on American pocket watches it's never going to be just change the mainspring. but I'm assuming if you know how to change a mainspring of that you also understand how to disassemble clean lubricate etc. because that is usually always required when changing a mainspring. Usually that's the minimum a lot of other times old variety of other problems pop up because pocket watches typically are old old means they been worked on multiple of times and they will have or can have other issues.

 

 

Yeah been figuring it out. But i also have had a problem  with taking apart the back of the watch, as i suspect there is rust or dirt blocking the screw off case. Furthermore, i will try and post images with it to see if anyone could perhaps even let me know the watch model as that could help me determine if I should pay a bunch to get it fix or if its not worth the effort.

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/18/2020 at 9:09 PM, MechanicMike said:

pictures, man. pictures. 

hey where I can I make an appointment? nah, just kidding! seriously, do you plan on attempting repairs yourself or strictly to a repairman? 

Depends honestly. I know what im doing to some extent, just cant get an exact estimate on the problem as i cant open the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

Depends honestly. I know what im doing to some extent, just cant get an exact estimate on the problem as i cant open the back.

I've used a trick on a stubborn pocketwatch involving a glue gun and an old cap from an old small jelly jar, if you're interested? yep I was skeptical at first but it did work. no kidding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, MechanicMike said:

I've used a trick on a stubborn pocketwatch involving a glue gun and an old cap from an old small jelly jar, if you're interested? yep I was skeptical at first but it did work. no kidding. 

Dont want to break it lol. Equity watches are rare-ish to my knowledge and had an unfortunate experience with a similar method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, TyJlovespocketwatches said:

Dont want to break it lol. Equity watches are rare-ish to my knowledge and had an unfortunate experience with a similar method.

well, i'll let you know, and you can make up your mind for yourself. hows that? first off, have you made sure it's a screw back, or front cuz it could be a snap case, which would require a case back knife. I can't tell from the picture.

the most important thing with this trick is you have to find a circular cap or cover obviously, that is at or near the same diameter at the case your trying to get free. too big will slip right off, too small won't cut it, and will probably slip off also. apply a generous bead around the edge of the watch back, near the out seam. finished, quickly set the chosen cap or cover onto the hot glue bead and press together, and hold for a minute allowing the hot glue and cap to set up. take a deep breath, close one eye and begin to apply down force with turn torque...(you can skip the breath and one-eye pirate thing-I was just being a wisea$$). it may take one or two attempts. the watch I had was 117 years old, and from the looks of the innards, hadn't been opened in that long. but it worked! it was great! once it opened, the glue just peels right off, no muss, no fuss. no residue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

well, i'll let you know, and you can make up your mind for yourself. hows that? first off, have you made sure it's a screw back, or front cuz it could be a snap case, which would require a case back knife. I can't tell from the picture.

the most important thing with this trick is you have to find a circular cap or cover obviously, that is at or near the same diameter at the case your trying to get free. too big will slip right off, too small won't cut it, and will probably slip off also. apply a generous bead around the edge of the watch back, near the out seam. finished, quickly set the chosen cap or cover onto the hot glue bead and press together, and hold for a minute allowing the hot glue and cap to set up. take a deep breath, close one eye and begin to apply down force with turn torque...(you can skip the breath and one-eye pirate thing-I was just being a wisea$$). it may take one or two attempts. the watch I had was 117 years old, and from the looks of the innards, hadn't been opened in that long. but it worked! it was great! once it opened, the glue just peels right off, no muss, no fuss. no residue. 

Hm. I dont use very many jars or anything like that, first of all, and I know it is a screw off case, as there is no divot. I’ll get pictures for ya. If you could figure the model out, that could help, but I’ve searched for a while and can’t find it without the serial number, but i may just not know good places to check. Thanks so much for your help so far!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

something circular. anything. i just gave those as example. something that will adhere to the cover, but something for you to grip on. anything.

use your imagination. this is what I used. my old movement holder just happened to fit perfectly, so I used that. this is the actual case and bezel I used it to remove.

20200801_132147.jpg

20200801_132129.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

well, i'll let you know, and you can make up your mind for yourself. hows that? first off, have you made sure it's a screw back, or front cuz it could be a snap case, which would require a case back knife. I can't tell from the picture.

I was going to ask that question  one of the problems with pocket watches is trying to figure out if it's a screw back or it snaps off. usually if the bezel what the crystal screws off the back will also screw off but  never 100%. usually on the pop off back's there will be some sort of lip or indent to indicate that but sometimes people enthusiastically try to pry off screw backs and the leave the same sort of marks.

they do make commercial things were moving back slight this one it's really nice and cheap

https://www.amazon.com/OTOOLWORLD-Watch-Case-Friction-Opener/dp/B07417BNF9/ref=sr_1_34?dchild=1&keywords=pocket+watch+case+opener&qid=1596314003&sr=8-34

specifically more for pocket watch back soon as this one

http://www.ofrei.com/page270.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

I was going to ask that question  one of the problems with pocket watches is trying to figure out if it's a screw back or it snaps off. usually if the bezel what the crystal screws off the back will also screw off but  never 100%. usually on the pop off back's there will be some sort of lip or indent to indicate that but sometimes people enthusiastically try to pry off screw backs and the leave the same sort of marks.

they do make commercial things were moving back slight this one it's really nice and cheap

https://www.amazon.com/OTOOLWORLD-Watch-Case-Friction-Opener/dp/B07417BNF9/ref=sr_1_34?dchild=1&keywords=pocket+watch+case+opener&qid=1596314003&sr=8-34

specifically more for pocket watch back soon as this one

http://www.ofrei.com/page270.html

I'm not sure what the OP has for tools or his real intentions. And the pics really don't help at this point. So, I just gave him MHO on what worked for me. You ever hear of the glue trick, John? It works slick! I never thought I'd get this one off...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...