Demagnetiser

Daniel123

1 minute ago, Klassiker said:

Andy Hull advises in a different thread to unplug when not in use, which I now do as a precaution.

The story goes that  a certain M.L. watchmaker was about to set fire to the shop when the device's button remained pressed :wacko:

• Thanks 1

The Chinese demagnetizers are ok. But not rated for heavy usage. I suspect that they were designed for 110V use and pushed to operate at 230V. If it starts to feel hot after a bit of usage, I think it would be safer to give it a rest.

The one I got worked for less than a minute before it gave up its ghost. I opened it up and found that the wiring didn't make sense. I replaced the LED and rewired it to what made sense to me and it has been working ever since. Probably manufactured on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning. :D

I have one and it works fine, but the first thing I did was cut off the dangerous power plug on it and fitted it with a modern safety plug.

The trick is you hold the item up to the machine and press and hold the button whilst slowly moving the part away as far as your arm can reach.

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

I suspect that they were designed for 110V use and pushed to operate at 230V.

When a "Far East (not Japan)" factory doesn't have the product or part ordered, it will ship something else.

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

Probably manufactured on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning. :D

When a "Far East (not Japan)" factory doesn't have the "skilled" worker, owner's mother's takes his/her place.