It's a real problem. Very few watch parts suppliers deal in cases other than for the fairly standard ETA 6497/8 ex-pocket watch movements (Hamilton, Panerai, etc.). I have a lovely Longines 280 movement  for which I've been trawling for a case for a long time - with no luck. I keep checking eBay for watches with duff movements but, in most cases, a duff movement is housed in a duff case!

I have one case for which I have no movement. I'd be happy to send it to you to see if it fits one of your movements - with no obligation if it doesn't...

Edited by WillFly

It's a real problem. Very few watch parts suppliers deal in cases other than for the fairly standard ETA 6497/8 ex-pocket watch movements (Hamilton, Panerai, etc.). I have a lovely Longines 280 movement  for which I've been trawling for a case for a long time - with no luck. I keep checking eBay for watches with duff movements but, in most cases, a duff movement is housed in a duff case!

I have one case for which I have no movement. I'd be happy to send it to you to see if it fits one of your movements - with no obligation if it doesn't...

Thanks Will .... all very true.

I would like to take up your kind offer, at least let me pay the postage....... :)

I shall PM you my address.......

Keith

Oh, I remember that one. All the way from Italy if my memory serves me, nice case though!

Spot on, Geo - as I recall, it was you who drew my attention to it in the first instance. It's a lovely case, just not quite right for the 280 calibre. And I just can't find the calibre that it will fit. Sod's law!

• 3 months later...

Hi All! 

So I have been successful in getting an old Bulova 11AFC back to work. The dial is horrible and hands were very rusty but I cleaned it as well as I could. The movement was very clean and went back together easily. I am going to post photos later. I may have the dial restored and some new hands but not sure it is worth all that.

On another note. I purchased the three of the watches listed in the photo. Looking for suggestions on cases and casing alternatives?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Gary

post-337-0-98864100-1423871296_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary, it's a big ask to find the correct cases for these movements, the chances of finding the correct ones is not great. If you are skilled enough and keen enough and have the equipment, you could get something close and machine to fit.

Being realistic, it is probably better just to use them for practicing on, and buy a complete watch that is in need of total refurbishment, that way you will have all the parts at minimum cost. :)

Geo's absolutely spot on here - the right cases are a bugger to find and, as we all know, most movements for sale are the result of the silver or gold cases being sold for scrap. I've been trying to find a case for my Longines 280 for a long time now - with no luck.

I know a watch casemaker who did some work on one of my Elgin railroad watches a couple of years ago. I contacted him to price up making a case for the Longines in stainless steel. £2,500. Mmm...

The irony is I have a case for a Longines cal. 30L - and can't find a movement for it! :pulling-hair-out:

There are 3 30Ls on the Bay at the moment - but they're either too expensive or not in good condition for the price.

My 280 movement is in beautiful condition - and cost me less than £50.

Will, have you already seen this one ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONGINES-30L-original-mechanic-watch-movement-running-1351-/261711540602?pt=ES_Relojes_de_pulsera&hash=item3cef39317a

Edited by vaguras
  • Like 1

Thank you for the thoughts and no loss they were intended to be practice movements. That said, I have mangled heat another mainspring on the one I really liked with the silver dial. Seems my weak areas are mainsprings, hair springs and keyless works.

On a good note the Girrard Perregeaux has been disassembled and oiled lightly and back together. In a 24 hour period though it is running a little fast, about a minute. A.)I'm grateful I put another one back together, yeah! B.) with little experience I'm not sure where to look for this fault. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Gary

with little experience I'm not sure where to look for this fault. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Gary

Hi Gary, what fault are you referring to? If it's the "minute a day fast", you should be able to correct that by adjusting the regulator.

Geo- I will use the regulator to adjust. Is it normal to have to adjust the regulator? After a correct service should it have to be adjusted? My thought is the middle would be the optimal position? Is that unrealistic of a watch this age?

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Gary, when you purchase old watches you never know who has been at them. A lot of folk will tamper with the regulator to try and compensate for the watch behaving badly, when it should really get a full service. The bottom line is after a service it policy to check the rate and adjust as required.

Could this be something that fits the round movements  ? it's a nice stainless steel case . The diameter of the movement needs to be 26,5 or under . And from the dial to the center of the stem 1,7 mm . Have about 17 mm lugs . The crystal is a little yellow from age but that isn't a big expensive thing to replace . Yours if you want ?  Or someone else ?? 

post-644-0-71196200-1424184521_thumb.jpgpost-644-0-98606500-1424184545_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogart63

• 3 weeks later...

May be worth a trip to the watch fairs there are often big boxes full of broken watches and sometimes you get lucky. Another thing is looking at "steampunk" stuff. It is amazing what people are selling just for decoration. The only other place is of course the Bay. There is also a place on this forum to advertise for specific stuff.

Good luck,

Vic