Any Citizen experts around?

Hi, Just bought this Citizen watch, the first Citizen I have ever owned. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about it. Never seen anything quite like the dial, looks like hammerite paint. Code on the back shows 7220. Watch is running at 21600 bph. Not opened it yet, what might I find inside?23b6154914b012a202bf6e4815eb6c15.jpg6a9d1a3870ebd26e607334cb40bfb67b.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve1811uk said:

Fantastic, any idea how to source a replacement acrylic crystal as the original is too far gone?

There is no secret place for parts, we all search the Internet just like anyone can.

You can also measure and get a generic plastic or mineral glass crystal.

Edited by jdm

There is no secret place for parts, we all search the Internet just like anyone can.
You can also measure and get a generic plastic or mineral glass crystal.
I mean, for Seiko I would search the case code on Jules Borel and find out the part code for the crystal. Is there a similar way to that for Citizen parts?

6 minutes ago, steve1811uk said:

I mean, for Seiko I would search the case code on Jules Borel and find out the part code for the crystal. Is there a similar way to that for Citizen parts?

Not that I am aware, Citizen has always been behind Seiko in terms of post-sales support. BTW the same parts search is also possible on Cousins UK, Boley.de, and Seiko Australia.

From what I see you acrilic crystal is still repairable to a good extent, personally I would look for a solid mineral glass replacement.

Thewatchsite.com specialize in Japanese watches only, you can try searching or asking there.

Edited by jdm

Glass looks you might get by with a polish. 

Forgot to mention that escape has shock protection too with real little lyre springs, be carful with them. 

Winder module is incorporated in gear bridge,  don't know what oil is to be used.

A datasheet be nice.

Good luck

Hi  unable to get a de code of the case numbers when you open up the watch can you post the calibre number please.  there are numbers on the dial under the no 6 marker can you also post theseif legible then we may be able to get a tech sheet,  Thanks.

Hi  unable to get a de code of the case numbers when you open up the watch can you post the calibre number please.  there are numbers on the dial under the no 6 marker can you also post theseif legible then we may be able to get a tech sheet,  Thanks.
Thanks, I will open it up tomorrow and also post the numbers off the dial.

7220 is a nice movement.. it has a full bridge but at least the automatic bits have their own bridge. The click is a bit difficult to spot. Once you remove the automatic reversing gears you will spot the tail. If you still cant spot it wind it a bit and you will see the click move.

Later 8220 had everything under a single bridge which is more fun...

Anilv

I found this great resource for finding case part numbers.

Nos Crystal part numbers, gasket part numbers. Etc.

https://www.boley.de/en/case-parts/citizen

Not sure if it will be a big help because it’s not comprehensive.

Here’s a link to info on movements too.

https://www.vintagewatchesspare.com/watch-parts-branded/citizen-calibre-movement-and-spares/

In the mean time check out this serial number decoder.
Might help.

Citizen
Citizen serial number decoder. Date a Citizen watch by serial number and case markings

If you can take a picture of the tiny writing just below 6 o-clock it will usually have the movement number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this great resource for finding case part numbers.

Nos Crystal part numbers, gasket part numbers. Etc.

https://www.boley.de/en/case-parts/citizen

Not sure if it will be a big help because it’s not comprehensive.

Here’s a link to info on movements too.

https://www.vintagewatchesspare.com/watch-parts-branded/citizen-calibre-movement-and-spares/

In the mean time check out this serial number decoder.
Might help.

Citizen
Citizen serial number decoder. Date a Citizen watch by serial number and case markings

If you can take a picture of the tiny writing just below 6 o-clock it will usually have the movement number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, please see some pics attached. Dial says JAPAN 6501 - 653316 KA. Not what we were expecting I think. Pretty sure the calibre reads 6501.de83a7d5cd29ec1acec283b80c27e90e.jpg390ea7bc388a0aa0a1a7ed6be3c45a7b.jpg52982df5f993638b22d64a4c50b15f12.jpg5a36f2404831bf9c73f4a468fe8e8b0c.jpg

I think this rotor has been scavenged off of 6001 which came in 17 & 21  jewels versons. Several parts are interchangable between the two. Not the caliber I spoke of. 

This Calib 6501 is 21 jeweler.

I think this rotor has been scavenged off of 6001 which came in 17 & 21  jewels versons. Several parts are interchangable between the two. Not the caliber I spoke of. 
This Calib 6501 is 21 jeweler.
I will be sure to count them when I strip it down. I think you could be right about the rotor.

$24.75 + $13 int.l sh. + UK VAT and fees.
Watch is worth, perhaps, the same. Worth to purchase, when generic or polishing are valid alternatives?
Probably not. In fact I found an equivalent on Cousins for approx £8. Original glass is too far gone has cracks on the edge and a big deep chip out of the front where it says Automatic.057ae9914a3fd9f5cadc5ab36f94a64f.jpg