First attempt at an English Westminster chime movement

Beagle2

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Well, several months on and I’ve finally put it back together. 

1/4 chime seems to trigger each quarter, and it runs for 8 days + so the new wheel must be perfect....

however, it’s like 2 hammers are excluded from the chime, i.e it’s it ‘strike mode’ all the time. 

On the hour the bar lifting the 2 hammers moves down and you get the chime with all 4 notes and then the strike. But each quarter after it’s just 2 notes. 

Otherwise it seems ok, although it doesn’t seem to strike at 12 for an unknown reason. 

Hopefully the pic and video show what I mean.

It’s like the strike is going into warning at the wrong moment (?)

Any ideas would be greatly welcome.  

F9ACBDF9-A5F7-4C46-9F2B-436DDDBEF270.jpeg

Edited by Beagle2

Things are not set in there proper place, because two hammers are at the lifting position. This might work it could depend on other things, but its worth a go.  Undo that screw that the red arrow is pointing at, you can remove it. With your fingers move the wheel that lifts the hammers around so the hammers lift and go go down in line, this is for the quarter past or the last of the three quarter . When you are OK with this put the wheel back on an tighten, and take the hands around watching to see if all is right, if a hammer starts to lift on the warning adjust that wheel a little by one tooth. Some times this will fix it sometimes not so lucky, depends how far out things are. Here is the scale for your Westminster chime so you can follow this if you are not sure how the sequence works.  

Note the Quarter is the same as the last on the three quarter 

chimes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for the pointers.

Instead of adjusting the wheel by one tooth I was able to bend the pin slightly that locates in the 'star wheel' which actions the strike.

Before it was stopping on a point rather than a trough, missing the last chime. This explains why it wouldn't strike 12 (i.e. you only got 11)

I was also able to align the notes with OH's sheet music - thanks

However I'm still not happy with it.... I've run it for about a week and sometimes (~1/15) times it misses a chime or chimes the wrong length...

I'm pretty sure it's the 'long lever' failing to drop sometimes. I think it's catching on something where it contacts the front plate.

Having got this far I'm going to strip it again and polish the contact points of this lever. Also all this tinkering has allowed the odd bit of fluff etc to find its way into the mechanism.

If that's the case I think you need to check all the wheels on the strike and chime side to make sure they are all in line. Then you start adding the strike and chime works, making sure each part works as it should. Just ask if you are not sure. I can take a bit of practice with a chime, understanding how it all works is the ticket.

• Like 1