Beginner's Project: Elgin Grade 206 Pocket Watch

I will be attempting to build a fully functional, cased Elgin size 6s Grade 206 pocket watch.

This all began a short while ago, when I watched a video about getting in to watchmaking as a hobbyist in which the watchmaker being interviewed suggested starting with a scrap pocket watch movement, which can be found on the cheap on eBay.

I found the ubiquity and low cost of American movements to be counter-intuitive, as I would think 100+ year old watches would be quite valuable. This led me down the rabbit hole of the history of pocket watches, and America's former status as the worldwide leader in production volume of watches.

The Watch

1677486472_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.9a471f9f88b6ca5d7c0fa31e8d18b329.jpg

Flipping through eBay listings for non-running movements I ended up buying an Elgin one for about $20 shipped. Here is a photo of the movement-side, and here is a link to more info on Pocket Watch Database.

An interesting thing about this particular piece is the lack of a seconds sub-dial. None of the examples I see online on Pocket Watch Database share that, which is a bit weird to me.

Phase 1: Irresponsibly Hacking Away

When the movement first arrived, I decided to just take a stab at taking it apart. I figured, hey, it's a scrap movement that didn't cost me too much money, what's the worst that can happen? Well, I have to say I'm glad I learned the lesson of why NOT to do that, I just wish I'd been maybe a little more careful. As some fine folks here let me know, with a pocket watch or very old vintage movements, unless you're sure what you're dealing with isn't rare or valuable, don't treat it like trash.

I went at the movement with the smallest screw drivers I had available and started to take it apart. Here are the mistakes I made:

• Not releasing the power from the mainspring: parts flew all over the place and I lost the center wheel for a couple weeks until recently I was looking for a fallen screw and came across it on the floor
  • Not taking pictures - there are a couple missing parts from the setting mechanism, so I am a bit unsure about exactly what was originally going on since I didn't do step by step photos (it's also hard to photograph step by step when the whole thing blows up :) )
  • Unscrewing the banking pins not knowing what banking pins are
  • During re-assembly, after trying to set the banking pins so the watch might run, I gave the balance wheel a spin with a toothpick with what I KNEW was too much force, and broke off the impulse jewel - this also is a lesson I knew in theory but learned in practice all too clearly, not to force ANYTHING, and also not to treat any part as if it's scrap or garbage

So with all that in mind, and with some insight from the community here which got me reading about the different Elgin models and parts, I've decided to source another identical movement, and a 6s-sized case + movement. Hopefully between the 3 I'll have enough good parts to have a fine working watch.

I'd also love to hear anyones thoughts about "switching," I intend to attempt to use all parts from the same grade and model movement. The case I'd be using would probably not have originally contained this movement, as I see lots of 6s pieces w/ case and movement for sale but not with this particular movement.

Note: since the horrific events described above, I've amassed a bunch of tools (most of them cheap versions from eBay) for watchmaking, including a screwdriver set, tweezers, movement holders, parts trays, cleaner with baskets and jars, hand levers, lubricants, Rodico, and probably some more stuff I'm not mentioning. Will be in a bit of a better position to attack this next challenge.

Anyway, stay tuned for Phase 2, when I will make what will hopefully a more measured and informed attempt at the build.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by pubudeux
  • Like 5

I am planning to follow in your footsteps. Our skill levels are the same. I'm trying to find a nice Elgin that has all the parts so I stand a chance of it working after disassembly and reassembly. There appears to be quality but not quality. I haven't found one for 20 shipped but I am anxiously looking. Don't get too far ahead and more information is better! Thanks for posting.

27 minutes ago, homeyclown said:

I am planning to follow in your footsteps. Our skill levels are the same. I'm trying to find a nice Elgin that has all the parts so I stand a chance of it working after disassembly and reassembly. There appears to be quality but not quality. I haven't found one for 20 shipped but I am anxiously looking. Don't get too far ahead and more information is better! Thanks for posting.

Hey, thanks for your message.

I got them on eBay. That is the approximate price ive seen for movements, without case and winding stem. In some cases other stuff is missing too. 

If you can find a lot of a few of the same size/grade and try to make sure there's at least 1 with a decent balance/hairspring it could be good.

I think its a matter of perseverance and sharpening your eBay search skills or just being willing to fork over some more $.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:33 AM, homeyclown said:

I love old Elgins and am also just getting started. I would suggest  looking at a 12s Grade 303 movement. They are still plentifull and can be had for $20 to the door from Ebay if you are in the  US.  They are a 7 jewel so be sure to look closely at the pivots. If they look sloppy pass unless you don't  care if it will hold good time in the end.

If that seems a little small look at the 16s Grade 291 movement, also a 7 jewel. They are usualy about $5 more though.

Happy Hunting

Nora

Edited by Nora
Added two words for clarity
  • Thanks 1

Here's a source I've used before and currently have another one on the way for movements on the cheep. I've had good luck with him /her.  Look at the pics carefully to make sure it's what you want. The seller makes no claim to being any kind of watch expert, but does have good fixer-uppers for the asking. most are with free shipping. Ya can't beat that.

Nora

https://www.ebay.com/usr/grknow40?_trksid=p2047675.l2559