Is this LeCoutre&Co Pocket Watch legit?

I'm pretty sure it's a legitimate LeCoultre. That was a common bridge design they used on their cylinder movements. Be advised that cylinder escapement are rarely highly sought after, and not every watchmaker works on them. Their escapement isn't complicated, but it's different to work on. And it is not considered as accurate as lever escapements. I don't think I'd chase that one, especially if it's not running. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel
  • Like 1

I usually look at what would be the escape wheel bridge to see if it's below the plane of the other bridges, and under the balance. When it is, it says "cylinder" to me.

LeCoultre made them. I believe even Patek and Vacheron made them, so the escapement wasn't terrible, especially on the three mentioned. Virtually any watch repair manual from "the day" will have information on cylinders. Lots of info around the WWW. Cheers back at'cha.

• Like 1

Most of the cylinder watches are not worth a lot.. to be fair, some are quite nice but many are not, and as said, most repairers don't repair them.

Over in the UK it's not so easy to sell a cylinder pocket watch to a dealer - working or not.. it seems people just don't want them for the most part. A gold example is nicer but still not highly prized unless particularly rare or special. Rare would be something early/ fitted with a ruby cylinder / a watch with a complication.

I've got a load of cylinder watches but most don't work and aren't worth repairing (the working ones are often terrible timekeepers by modern standards - maybe 10 minutes a day) - one or two would be pretty enough to make a nice gift for someone who's just into that sort of thing.

The watch in your pictures is actually sort of nice but the gold price is really high at the moment so it may be more expensive than that type of watch may usually dictate - due to the gold content.

Edited by JGrainger
clarification

Thanks for taking the time explain in such detail. I’ve decided to skip purchasing this one. I have actually purchased 3 pocket watches for $15 but their condition is a total wreck. 2 westclox and 1 unknown. But I just thought I’d be fun to open them up and take a look. Will post some photos separately. 

• 2 months later...

After working on the movement discussed in JDM's comment, I would suggest skipping cylinder escapements unless you are really ready to jump in the deep end. Just because I managed to butcher something together after trying way too many times doesn't mean I'll be trying again any time soon. My dad used to say that a big part of mastering something you do professionally, and being successful, is knowing when to bow out. Another teacher of mine taught that being an excellent gemologist instead of just a good one meant being able to admit you don't know sometimes. Both valuable lessons from two smart old men.