So how do I deal with a strip down so that the rebuild works?

I am sure, that my next question is something all of you have had to deal with, if not still dealing with.

When stripping down, how/what do I do to ensure that I make sure all the parts go back in the correct place when rebuilding? There are a heck of a lot of parts and some even look like each other?

At the moment I am using covered section trays with the dome, and a Minolta camera for reference. I have 5 of the domes and around the same number of trays also covered. With the trays came poly inserts. I have worked out that each section of the watch should be separated via a different dome. And a digital photo helps with the ‘where’s wally moment’ 

What I am looking for are tips to make the job work/even easier, And any advice would be appreciated, no matter how zany they might be.

For example, In my tool shed I use pickle jars to put screws/nails/nuts etc in. Paint tins, I make sure the lid is tightly inserted, turn the pot up-side-down and put in a plastic freezer bag And knot. I then store the tin up-side-down In the shed, until I need it again. That way I separate any oxygen from the paint and thus extend the life of the paint. Not had a tin go off yet 

Thanks in advance

In  simple three hand jeweled watch there really are not many parts.  Each has a unique function and really wont work in any other spot than the one intended. Adding complications such as day and date, just makes them more complicated, but the same thing hold true. Other than screws nothing can really be interchanged.

• Like 2

I agree with @yankeedog. The way I do it is take lots and lots of pictures using my iPhone 6S with a $10 clip-on macro lens. That way I really don't have to care how I organize the parts in my trays and on a coffee filter with a glass bowl in top. Although I do place all screws together and large parts together, and keep track of which cap jewel and goes into the balance and which one goes into the main plate (they are sometimes different thicknesses). I guess I've developed a system, but more out of experience than out thinking it through. Here's and example of what I mean by lots and lots of pictures:

• Like 1

Sorting various parts that go together, like putting the keyless work together in mini baskets, so when you do put all your clean keyless work back in the same compartment together ready for replacing, you know only those screws are for that area of the watch and can't possibly go anywhere else. The more practice you get, you'll get to the point where all the screws and springs will go into a mini-basket together, because you'll know the movement intimately and where each screw and part goes, but that takes taking lots of photos first.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Watches are like a puzzle , they only go together one way

for the most part like a puzzle the parts will only go one place. lots of pictures definitely help. Separating sections as you disassemble like all the dial components goes in one cleaning basket, automatic components etc. easier for reassembly if things are in sections.

Then when I'm doing reassembly like the photograph shows I like to put my screws like this makes it easier for me to see if they're all grouped together. Even simple watches like pocket watches sometimes the plates screws will be different length this allows me to see which one is shorter if there is a shorter one. 

screws organizing for reassembly.JPG

• Like 1

Take pix.

What is frustrating is a part missing and not found in all places we can guess.

A scrap movement of same caliber, is your material house as well as diagram and more. 

I agree with jon, you get familiar with a caliber or in general to a point that you no longer see this as something to be concerned with.

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

for the most part like a puzzle the parts will only go one place. lots of pictures definitely help. Separating sections as you disassemble like all the dial components goes in one cleaning basket, automatic components etc. easier for reassembly if things are in sections.

Then when I'm doing reassembly like the photograph shows I like to put my screws like this makes it easier for me to see if they're all grouped together. Even simple watches like pocket watches sometimes the plates screws will be different length this allows me to see which one is shorter if there is a shorter one. 

screws organizing for reassembly.JPG

This is a great idea. Hardest part for me to grasp so far has been the screws.

As others have said, once you have seen a few movements, even if you jumbled up all the parts it becomes reasonable to be able to separate out the parts into their correct domains. 

Screws, on the other hand have been a different animal for me. I think I will do what you've done here in my next disassembly, along with photos of the screws next to their "homes" for later comparison.

All techniques help but remember the most important one is good use of your eyes and brain. A good watchmaker is able to put back together a chronograph movement take to parts in a can, without much difficulties.
Take out the screw, (or any other part) look at it, ask yourself why it has this shape / length / peculiarities?
You will find that very rarely the manufacturer made illogical choices. What made sense to them, must make sens to you now.
The difference between understanding how it works and why, and repeating without making sense of things.

• Like 1

I've found that having a practical understanding of movement function and construction (such as what you learn in Mark's fantastic course) is extremely helpful. If you know the parts of the movement and keep your screws organized, you should be good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1