Cyma 458 Cannon Pinion

Hi Guys,

As a new hobbyist in watch repair a mate has kindly donated his 1950s Cyma, manual wind Cymaflex r458 for my learning. It wasn't winding at all when he gave it to me. Seemed like the mainspring was completely wound tight and the hands wouldn't move as well.

After countless hours of watching Mark's and other videos on YouTube and getting advice from good people in a FB forum, I've been disassembling the movement and giving it a manual clean with warm distilled water and detergent and lighter fluid for some really tough stains. It’s much cleaner than when i first opened it up. I've started putting it back together and I've hit a snag.

When I've pushed through, i can certainly feel the friction fit but the center wheel will not budge as the gears are synced with the cannon pinion (CP).  When I removed the CP, the key less assembly and centre wheel all moves fine. What could be the issue? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

If canon pinion is not rubbing on mainplate or depthing with the minute wheel, then it is sitting too tight on center arbour, first thing to try if you haven't is to apply some grease to ease the friction.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I’ve not abandoned this. Work had the better of my time these 2 weeks. I’m also waiting for watch grease to arrive so I can investigate further. Will keep you posted. Have a great weekend. 

34 minutes ago, Mojangles said:

Hi guys, I’ve not abandoned this. Work had the better of my time these 2 weeks. I’m also waiting for watch grease to arrive so I can investigate further. Will keep you posted. Have a great weekend. 

OK, a next time would you please post similar issues in "watch repair questions", as this section is really to illustrate how something is done.

19 minutes ago, jdm said:

OK, a next time would you please post similar issues in "watch repair questions", as this section is really to illustrate how something is done.

Apologies jdm. I will be extra vigilant to ensure I’m postbig in the right section next time. 

12 minutes ago, Mojangles said:

Apologies jdm. I will be extra vigilant to ensure I’m postbig in the right section next time. 

No worries and please excuse my pedantry.

Edited by jdm