Time To Wind Down.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, david said:

I had two visits to England back in the 1990s. My favorite brew was THEAKSTONS OLD PECULIER.  

david

Don't seem to find a dealer in my region, but it sure sounds wonderful from what I just read.

Guinness is my favorite of what is available here.  They throw hops into it for export but what can I say...  Most of the beer made here is filtered through goats.  Little known truth!

When I was working and the pressure was on, a pint of Guinness - sip off the head - add Jameson to top off the glass and watch your cares slip away.

• 3 weeks later...

For many years the beer available in the USA was horrible. Times have changed and there are a number of craft breweries that make excellent beer. My area (Atlanta, Ga) has an excellent brew called SWEETWATER ALE. I love beer but had to switch to wine as it tended to make me fat.

david

• 4 weeks later...

@david please don't take offence at my disrespect for Laphroaig; it is in jest only, specifically because I knew it would provoke a reaction from someone :D:D:D

I am very much a whisky drinker, in fact it's just about the only spirit that I drink, and single malts are "my thing", although I also belive that a well crafted blend can stand its ground too.

I am familiar with Laphroaig first hand but be true it is not my favourite as I tend to gravitate more to the less peaty brews. Lagavulin (Laphroaig's neighbour) is about as phenolic as I'm comfortable with as it does a better job of taming the "creosote", but if your preference is for something a little livelier and a bit more "in your face" then Laphroaig is your ticket, and no man has the right to tell you that your wrong.

There is no such thing as the wrong taste in whisky, just different tastes :-), and mine tends towards the sweeter Speyside distilleries, but I am always open to experimentation.

Good health !!!

Edited by Marc
spelling

It is all an acquired enjoyment.   Cast Strength Laphroaig is mixed 50/50 with water and goes a long way!  It's economical!  Can never find it in the hinterlands of the states so I love those who don't like it!  Leaves me a hope for another score.

But Speyside, I use for a balance dip! ;) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 8:38 PM, jdm said:

Some liquid wisdom in this topic! I had to start from zero again and in my frugal style I tried to buy value. Should last for the rest of the winter. 

DSC_0168-800x600.JPG

I used to live in Scotland and used to do the whiskey trial (multiple, multiple times :biggrin:). I see you have the malt Glenfiddich. Glenfiddich is from the Grant's family, so there is the "Grant's"-whiskey, a blend. Same shape bottle, with 95% Glenfiddich malt but 1/2 price. Just FYI ;)

Edited by Endeavor

1 hour ago, Endeavor said:

I used to live in Scotland and used to do the whiskey trial (multiple, multiple times :biggrin:). I see you have the malt Glenfiddich. Glenfiddich is from the Grant's family, so there is the "Grant's"-whiskey, a blend. Same shape bottle, with 95% Glenfiddich malt but 1/2 price. Just FYI

Maybe, but if I recall, one comes from the industrial scale big distillery plant in Girvan, and the other from the quaint little distillery in Banfshire.. not that I suspect it makes that much difference in reality, but it kinda spoils the illusion.

I'm not much of a drinker these days, but if you want something a little more subtle, try the Glengoyne, or maybe a little Higland Park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...