Time To Wind Down.

OMG pure peat,iodine and seaweed in a bottle and only for those with an educated palate. Unfortunately for me I can't take it or Laphroaig or most of the Islay Malts. My loss, I have tried and tried but I keep going back to the Highlands where the spirit is gentle and peat is mainly for fires or gardens. Perhaps I will find an Islay malt I can handle some day but until then it's all yours Rob. I will keep having an Islay now and then just to be sure though as I don't want to be accused of having a closed mind on the subject. One of my mates reckons I don't know what's good but I notice he doesn't seem to mind a Dalwhinnie when it's available. Mind its barley is slightly smoked so there is a slight trace of peat but hardly any compared to the likes of Ardy.

Cheers,

Vic

You're needing to man up a bit Vic, ye canny beat A bit o' peat. Hear's my favourite, it's like Laphroaig on steroids!

post-124-0-86581600-1424244437_thumb.jpg

Come to think of it, with a name like Vic, I thought you would have been up for really pungent flavours! :)

Edited by Geo
  • Like 2

I was given a bottle of Lagavulin for my retirement and have to advise that I gave it to that friend I mentioned in an earlier posting.  As I told my good lady vick is essential when rubbing the chest at night and my services are always available.

As for the whisky I have tried but my pair won't grow any bigger so I will try to limp along with some common blended stuff that I think I can manage - Irishcain may like it as well :cool:

post-197-0-57240100-1424260774_thumb.jpg

When my son said he had got me a Yamazaki I thought I was getting a bike.  Having said all that I found bottles of Ardberg, Bowmore and Tobermory at the back of the whisky cupboard so I will soldier on - but I still prefer the Highlands.

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Vic

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My current favourite. I've been looking forward to this all day. 4d38f293841902452fecabac91fcb6c4.jpg

No doubt followed later with a nip or two:

5137ceefb0ce7c9b2fc8682376c8069b.jpg

It's winding down time folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure what we are supposed to discuss here. This is as clear a message as one can send. However, if you want to find my preference - Jack Daniels wins hands down - I mean one hand down one holds the glass... :D

If anyone is a Costco member do yourself a favour and try the Kirkland Bourbon - its delish and slightly dangerous at 51.5% Vol.

Just popped in for a browse as I am up to my eyes in prep for my daughters wedding.  Will be attending to projects and posting results asap - I'll be back.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

If anyone is a Costco member do yourself a favour and try the Kirkland Bourbon - its delish and slightly dangerous at 51.5% Vol.

Just popped in for a browse as I am up to my eyes in prep for my daughters wedding.  Will be attending to projects and posting results asap - I'll be back.

Cheers,

Vic

Great news Vic, both the drink and your daughter's wedding! :). I hope it all goes well and look forward to reading about your projects in the future!

Going to the Stag party in Dublin in a couple of days.  One day at the races and another visiting St James Gate. 

Been there a few times already but never tire of drinking Guinness from the actual font.  They have an observation tower a bit like a mini GPO tower at the Guinness factory now.  One of my favourite videos at the factory is an old guy making a barrel from scratch, the workmanship is breathtaking and all done by eye with pure unadulterated skill that must be in his very bones, God given talent with something that looks a bit like a spoke shave to get all the wood to fit in a circle, and it is watertight ! awesome.

I admit to drinking the Nitroginated Guinness from the beer gas (nitrogen plus CO2 which gives the beer its "thickness"), which I suppose, is not real ale but its still referred to as Stout. My Camra buddies are always pointing out that as the fizz is not produced by the fermentation process alone it aint proper, but I like to think of myself as open to the new modern ideas (ok - pushing it a bit there as I will not touch that Jaergerbum stuff) - especially when it tastes like the Guinness does when purchased from St James Gate.

Hope I survive amongst all these young bucks but the grooms father is there and only about 5 or 8 years younger than me I think, and we have been out before - we will probably last the distance, at least I have a new pacemaker with a fully charged battery now.

Cheers bonny lads,

Vic

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly the two old farts in the company were the last men standing each night and talking rubbish till the wee small hours in the residents bar over a treble Jamesons. You should have seen the state of the young chaps each morning and we were ok. The moral is stick to Guinness until the end.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On February 14, 2015 at 0:19 PM, MortenS said:

It has been a hectic day at the workbench. First, a service on a Rolex 3035, afterwards a service on an ETA 7750. Now I have taken out a beer from a local brewery and shall enjoy myself with an old pocket watch from IWC. Cheers!

IMG_2467_zpsea2d2f73.jpg

Morten

Wish we had local pubs here....the only place to go around here is a good place to get killed...lol

• Like 2

Most of you are probably already in bed by now, since I am six hours behind you (in Texas).  But this is what my son bought me (see attached photo).  Haven't cracked it open yet... probably won't until the weekend.  There's a really good bourbon called Bullit that I like to mix with Coke.  I don't drink often, but when I do, I like a good Bourbon with Coke and lots of ice. (I eat the ice after I finish the drink and pretend that will hydrate me enough to stave of a hangover...lol).  5893e84729efc_CrownReserveresized.jpg.e9a2748ed7543ebe1ff90908aa624053.jpg

• Like 2