Vostok Crystal

Hey all,

I've got this cool Vostok with a 2414a movement. It has a really nice patina on the dial, but the crystal is really scratched up. It doesn't show in the photos, but when there's more light on it, the scratches cast really obvious shadows on the dial. So I'd like to replace the crystal. I can measure the width no problem and add 0.2mm like Mark says in his courses. I can easily order a crystal from Cousins or Esslinger, but I need help determining whether or not this is a low dome or high dome crystal. I tend to think it's a high dome, but let me know what you think.

IMG_20200711_150449.jpg

IMG_20200711_150638.jpg

Acrylic are cheap and easy to replace, but it's also very easy to remove scratches. Your crystal  doesn't look bad at all - you could remove them in a couple of minutes.

You can buy acrylic polish from ebay ('acrylic polishing compound'). If the scratches are deep, use wet and dry, and work up through 1000 or 1500 grit, then use acrylic polish (or you can use metal polish)

7 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Acrylic are cheap and easy to replace, but it's also very easy to remove scratches. Your crystal  doesn't look bad at all - you could remove them in a couple of minutes.

You can buy acrylic polish from ebay ('acrylic polishing compound'). If the scratches are deep, use wet and dry, and work up through 1000 or 1500 grit, then use acrylic polish (or you can use metal polish)

A few minutes after I posted this, I noticed Mark had a video about polishing perspex crystals with brasso. I'll give that a try before I try to replace it.