A bit of History : 1945 document from US Army on watch maintenance

Hello, 

As a 'Newbie' I'm browsing the net to discover technics , guidelines etc. on my new hobbie.

I found that document from US war department dating 1945 about : 'Ordnance maintenance for Wrist watches' ...as you'll notice it's also an introduction manual for vintage watches, and some american watch models

Looking at it, I thought to myself how lucky we're to have internet and online courses ...

P.S : name of the attachment, is the official document name in US army archives

TM 9-1575.pdf

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, GeoMontreal said:

I found that document from US war department dating 1945 about : 'Ordnance maintenance for Wrist watches' .

Please don't be put off, but the document you've attached is well know and has been posted here not less than 7 times, most prominent ones are below.
Be welcome here and if in doubt on anything just use the search box top right or "google site search" for multi-word searchers.

Seems to me there should be a library on this site... A single thread, maybe even a curated one if it's possible within the forum engine to keep editing windows open indefinitely, wherein all such literature is deposited and organized. Most of this stuff is copyright free, so it should be simply a matter of getting it compiled and organized. 

25 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Seems to me there should be a library on this site.

I thought at one time there was a library of PDFs but it seems to have gone missing? My guess is that maybe Mark ran out of space. The only exception to that rule is every single time somebody attaches a PDF over and over and over again soon the message board gets overloaded with attachments be better to point to a single library somewhere.

19 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

More or less what I had in mind. I've seen the 7S26 service sheet posted at least a few dozen times, for instance. For it to be useful though, there must be curation. A random list of documents doesn't do anyone any good.

No point in even trying. Do you think that the next guy attempting to fix his Seiko 5 will search before asking? No he will not, better said, probably many do and we can;t know, but still some doesn't, and kindly are given the answer every time. BTW did you know that you can quickly include anything that you attached before? Just click "insert other media" and search for it.
The info is all out there already, starting with Cousins UK that does a tremendous job with this stuff. If even one hundred 1kb sheets get separately posted thousand of times that is not even a drop in the ocean of the Internet capacity. Just learn how to search, and if something really matters to you save a private copy or print it. And if you find that Cousins don't have it, send it to them.

Edited by jdm

• 2 weeks later...