vintage American pocket watch screw sizes

greetings all-been a few months since I've visited hope all is well with everyone. question: do any charts exist telling of American screw thread sizes for vintage pocket watches? I seem to be having a tough time finding anything other than the fact that back then prior to the 1955 "thread summit" I'll call it, where the European and American powers-that-be agreed on a universal standard thread pitch across the board(UNM miniature), that European was metric and American was their standard inch pitches, with the exception of Elgin and Waltham, who made their own specific(adding to my frustrating confusion) threads. I have threaded holes I need to repair and/or chase, and I'd just like to have it handy if I need it. maybe I haven't looked deep enough? 

Bueller, anyone?:huh::)

I'm attaching images of the screw sizes for Elgin and Waltham. Then I've only ever seen Elgin has a set of taps available occasionally it shows up on eBay like at the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Elgin-Watch-One-Set-Taps-For-All-Size-Screws-Set-27-Complete-1920s-RARE/124245232784?hash=item1ced97cc90:g:YIAAAOSwoPRe~f8e

Waltham Taps.JPG

Elgin Tap size.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks John. Yes I've come across those charts and have them and I'm actually eyeballing that very set. Another slipped by me last week by a just a few minutes. I've never seen a Waltham set but did see  2-3 taps once in a estate lot that the seller thought they were miniature pin punches. They were in very rough shape. Otherwise haven't seen anything else about american thread pitch or taps and dies for that matter...still lookin.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:00 AM, JohnR725 said:

I'm attaching images of the screw sizes for Elgin and Waltham. Then I've only ever seen Elgin has a set of taps available occasionally it shows up on eBay like at the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Elgin-Watch-One-Set-Taps-For-All-Size-Screws-Set-27-Complete-1920s-RARE/124245232784?hash=item1ced97cc90:g:YIAAAOSwoPRe~f8e

Waltham Taps.JPG

Elgin Tap size.JPG

John did you happen to take a closer look at the taps in that kit? The pictures aren't the best but some of the taps look like they've been ground and look like cutting broaches. See them?

yes I went back and looked at the pictures and they really are very desirable are they. But the seller did try to photograph all of them.

fortunately I remember where I hid my set and I've gotten pictures for you. So the worst ones in their picture are the worst ones of mine the smallest ones. You can see the size perspective there really tiny. then the close-up shows the problems. watchmaker taps are not the same as machinist So there flat on two sides they almost look like a drill but their threads on the outer edge. Starting on the left-hand side the smallest one it looks okay and the one next to it is okay except it's on the flat side up which makes it look shiny not like a tap. The attitude though definitely look like they're broken. Looks like the tips are missing.

e-rap-2.JPG

e-tap-1.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry John I just saw this-for some reason I'm not getting notifications..gotta fix that.

I wound up buying that tap set we were talking about. Yeah the guy took some more pics which was cool. Fast forward-they got here and are in great shape, full set, and you're right on all accounts. They're not anything like machinist taps I'm used to. Plus, they're darn near needle-like and my bad eyes can't see them without magnification.  But I'm glad I got them because theyre so rare. Price was right. You still use yours? I have since found some info on tap sizes with regards to old pocketwatches. So now I'm after Waltham taps n dies. Thanks for the pics

MM

I have actually only use them occasionally. Then I have an advantage over you in that? When the Elgin watch company was being liquidated everything from the factory spread out across the countryside. Including into material houses this means you have the opportunity a purchasing brand-new Elgin screws. So I have a few containers are brand-new screws and it works out really well to have the to upset. But as I said for the most part I know I'd use them but it's been a long time ago since I have. But still really nice to have not not like there making them anymore

the Elgin watch company had a interesting way of liquidating their main factory simplistically the parts spread out across the countryside which means there's lots and lots of new old stock parts. Wikipedia just doesn't quite describe what really happened.

so for instance if you do a search for Elgin watch screws you might find a link like this one.

http://www.ofrei.com/page1388.html

this means if you know what you looking for conceivably the screw assortments will show up on eBay as they should be out there somewhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

the Elgin watch company had a interesting way of liquidating their main factory simplistically the parts spread out across the countryside which means there's lots and lots of new old stock parts. Wikipedia just doesn't quite describe what really happened.

so for instance if you do a search for Elgin watch screws you might find a link like this one.

http://www.ofrei.com/page1388.html

this means if you know what you looking for conceivably the screw assortments will show up on eBay as they should be out there somewhere.

i've seen that on ofrei's page before. so thats where they went, eh? I've had some decent luck with buying screw lots on the Bay. 

• 4 months later...