New Guy

Hi,  Brad Kuhn here.  I really appreciate a well designed and well made device be it mechanical or electrical, cars, machines, or watches.  I am completely new to the watch repair world, although I have worn and appreciated a Rolex for many years.  One reason I am here is that the Accutron 2181, given to my father in 1976 as a retirement gift, no longer hums, and I want to try to repair it myself.  The other reason is that I found the discussions on this forum (that I read) to be congenial, informative, encouraging, and free of rancor.   I am starting pretty much at zero, although I do have an Accutron 218 movement holder, some seemingly decent tweezers and screwdrivers.  Although I do not intend to become a fully qualified watch repair man, I do have the Accutron repair and two other movements that I could improve.  My initial thoughts are: what tools are necessary?  What book/books should I read?  What online courses should I take (would rather not take a course)?  Anyway, here I am, not sure how to start.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Kuhn

Hi  and welcome to the forum Brad.  If you are not wanting to do a course (Marks courses are practical and Informative) you could do no better to Watch Marks Videos on U tube they will give you an insight as to what to expect. For starters I would not pull the Bulova to pieces I would get hold of some cheap possibly Russian movements to practice on before embarking on the real job. There are many books you can read on the subject.

Henry Fried's book on electric watches and his on mechanical watches are a great starting point. Tools, one can fill a shed with them so just buy the basics you need, Loupe's, tweezers. screwdrivers get the best of these , ie A*F screwdrivers are adequate, Dumont tweezers are the best and will last a life time so armed, then into battle.  wish you well on your task.  There will be of  course other opinions but that's what the forum is about.

Thank you all for the welcome and especially to watchweasol for taking time to give some starting basics.  I know every noobie asks the same questions over and over, so thanks again for your patience. 

My Bulova 2181 has not run in 40 years, so it would need disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, and calibration.  At this point, I intend to do all that but I also understand that I need some experience first, so I don't further impair what I already have.  To that end, I have joined your group and have bought a "running" 2181movement for parts.  I like the idea of practicing on a similar movement first, so I will look into the Russian movements and watch Mark's videos.  Would appreciate sourcing info for similar movements and for tools and supplies.

Thanks again for the welcome and tips

Brad Kuhn

Welcome Brad, I did run across this blog https://jpmoeller.com/2017/01/03/bulova-accutron-2181/ that might help you a bit further. If this was a "hey, I just found this old watch from Dad and I'd like to tinker with it" project, then by all means, go ahead (cautiously) and get some practice movements first. If this is an heirloom that you want to keep and wear to remind you of your father, then I'd highly recommend taking it to a professional watch repairer rather than attempt it yourself.

With your first watches you take to pieces you WILL break parts, lose parts and be unable to identify parts for replacement, let alone being able to source them. It's part of the journey we all take and it's best to cut your teeth on something that wouldn't be too difficult to toss into the bin.

Eccentric,

Thanks for the input and advice.  I looked at the blog with great interest.  I have been struggling with the topic of your advice ever since I found this watch in a drawer.  In my mind, this watch does not have heirloom status, so I would not suffer psychological loss if I broke it  -  it doesn't work now.  However, I really like the idea of the movement and how it works and would like to have a working one, and I really enjoy fixing things.  Economically, it would be less expensive to pay a watchmaker to fix it right the first time and be done with it.  I would get the working watch that I want, but I would miss out on the fun of doing it.

Anyway, what to do......  Thanks for your input

Brad