Jump to content

404 Club


Recommended Posts

Just picked up this lot of 4 for nothing this past weekend. The bag had $5 on it and the guy just said you can have it! I also picked up another Gildcraft by Gruen for $5 that I will post another time. The seikos I need to order batteries. The Alita and Lathin both run. I am calling the Lathin Mr. Crabs. I think the case is pretty wild as is.DSCN55662.thumb.JPG.39fa95e725c13fe5a4d6db7271d66b67.JPGDSCN55672.thumb.JPG.103cb20a24146c54aa905b9ae2b802a0.JPGDSCN55682.thumb.JPG.663acbeab524923033b0f14414f42aad.JPGDSCN55692.thumb.JPG.a0d64ed68d45f7a222c064b2ae643507.JPGDSCN55702.thumb.JPG.bfdabc17f4d93bde819f02ff748e6fa3.JPGDSCN55712.thumb.JPG.d9c6595d6f84e459c3e49597721f8c0c.JPGDSCN55732.thumb.JPG.a44e180d660c4e65668b60466f7722da.JPGDSCN55742.thumb.JPG.52915679eafb9e14e662447c9940cd5d.JPGDSCN55762.thumb.JPG.2aa9bfc11a7feba6a83d205837ad2990.JPGDSCN55772.thumb.JPG.3a1575daa0e3fffb98b8db86d4acb32e.JPGDSCN55782.thumb.JPG.e03f0fa9623d1848e6010a6d7948c426.JPG

The pelage on the case back really jumps in 3 d when swirled...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think I know why the cool colors, dial and hands are radioactive. Not something you want to leave within 3 feet of your bench for very long. A few hours won't matter but wouldn't want to take an unnecessary chance by storing it close by and spending hours everyday.20231108_1731232.thumb.jpg.6c7d879973de4ee8754de4cd824dfbda.jpg

once moved away levels drop back down to normal background readings on the bench...20231108_1738092.thumb.jpg.fc66b5160ca4a821175c0571af091aef.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"High level. Closely watch the reading, find out why." 

Why is a radium dialed watch. It isn't going to change its output (at least not in a positive direction). If you were Homer Simpsoning (working as a safety officer in a nuclear power plant for those not hip to American pop culture from the last... holy crap... 34 years!), you should be frantically trying to figure out why the readings spiked. If it's an old wrist watch, I wouldn't be all that concerned. Eat fewer bananas on the days you wear it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we assume that you stared directly at the watch, your whole face might receive around 100cpm., or around 1/5th of the dose the meter is showing. It would probably be less. This means that you would need to stare solidly at it 24hrs a day 7 days per week for around 430 days to increase your cancer risk by 1 in 1,000 - So not a zero risk, but equally not a significant risk, and you do need to stare solidly at the dial for that whole period.In reality, you probably would wear it for once in a blue moon, for a few hours, with the dial facing away from you. Increased cancer risk, probably immeasurably small. Just don't lick the dial or sniff the hands and you will be fine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

If we assume that you stared directly at the watch, your whole face might receive around 100cpm., or around 1/5th of the dose the meter is showing. It would probably be less. This means that you would need to stare solidly at it 24hrs a day 7 days per week for around 430 days to increase your cancer risk by 1 in 1,000 - So not a zero risk, but equally not a significant risk, and you do need to stare solidly at the dial for that whole period.In reality, you probably would wear it for once in a blue moon, for a few hours, with the dial facing away from you. Increased cancer risk, probably immeasurably small. Just don't lick the dial or sniff the hands and you will be fine.

I appreciate the math! I have about 10 of these now. I keep then in the back room so not sure the cumulative effecf.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.jpg.f6ea9339b3188802140ee7095ae79a3e.jpgAsPurchasedRearCropped-l1600.jpg.d25ba175f654c48374d1c6be4e8c9b56.jpg

More low cost USSR goodness. Possibly a Bostok 2409A but no movement pictures, so that is just a guess.  It does appear to tick, as there were several pictures of the dial side in the listing and the second hand had moved between pictures.

image.png.aa4528ee68fd47f1feaac286f1d61860.png

Yes, you read that correctly. Two pounds and fifty four pence shipped. I think that is possibly a record for the 404 club.
It should clean up very nicely, and I'll post a few pictures once I have it ready to wear.

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.259f490e6bb28e07cf531ab30b5a6349.jpg

AsPurchased2-l1600.jpg.3d20467062da61ce610f5497d7c26ed5.jpg

AsPurchased3-l1600.thumb.jpg.062ebd7ecde74daec68816e56cb09060.jpg

.. and next we have a small collection of junk for a fiver. It appears to include a rather battered Swatch Irony chronograph.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my first 404 club entry.  Bought it for $4.25 ($10.60 with tax and shipping).  Pretty rough but it runs.  Has a pretty unusual (at least to me) band.  Had to use the super glue trick to get the case back off.  Cannot tell the specific movement, other than it is labeled Lavina Watch Co.  I cannot find much info on DeFrece or Lavina.

 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600e.jpg

20231111_184205.JPG

Edited by gpraceman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gpraceman said:

I got my first 404 club entry.  Bought it for $4.25 ($10.60 with tax and shipping).  Pretty rough but it runs.  Has a pretty unusual (at least to me) band.  Had to use the super glue trick to get the case back off.  Cannot tell the specific movement, other than it is labeled Lavina Watch Co.  I cannot find much info on DeFrece or Lavina.

 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600e.jpg

20231111_184205.JPG

 

6 hours ago, gpraceman said:

I got my first 404 club entry.  Bought it for $4.25 ($10.60 with tax and shipping).  Pretty rough but it runs.  Has a pretty unusual (at least to me) band.  Had to use the super glue trick to get the case back off.  Cannot tell the specific movement, other than it is labeled Lavina Watch Co.  I cannot find much info on DeFrece or Lavina.

 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600e.jpg

20231111_184205.JPG

Maybe one of these 

Screenshot_20231112_071141_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_071047_Chrome.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Rusty99penceVersion1-l1600.thumb.jpg.0c8ae0b33916ad0f77be02a1ae5899ed.jpg

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.a36f96a4714ba9cb7a2abc83ec7fc9f6.jpg

GoldVersionAsPurchased1s-l1600.thumb.jpg.c6d64b99e54f76617f3614ec64437c98.jpg

I now have three of these USSR era Poljot cal 2614.2H beauties awaiting my attention. I'm pretty sure I have another one in the scrap pile too, so when I get a chance, I'll probably try to blitz the lot and see if I can get bring them all back to their former glory.

Average price, not including shipping, £3.00p each, so if I do have any complete disasters along the way, it wont injure my wallet significantly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

404s are almost always obscure brands. Those in Europe can find name brand Russians on occasion, but we're pretty much limited to stuff you've never heard of here. That dial says the movement is jeweled. No count means one to meet the minimum definition, so it'll be the balance cap jewel opposite the dial, and may not actually interface with the balance staff. Pin lever. I went through a phase where nearly every 404 I found was one of those.... Baumgartner 866, I think. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RichardHarris123 said:

One crown wheel screw corroded, a bit of surface rust but looking good. 

Screenshot_20231129_121607_Chrome.jpg

These movements are well worth the few quid that they can go for. I know Nicklesilver rates them.  I've got into a bit of a habit of researching for known reliable well made movements, picking up the odd few orphans then searching out an externally good watch that they can donor for. Sounds a bit backward but its actually much more cost effective than post searching for a donor. This way any replacement parts are already sourced. Ok you might be waiting to find a watch you like, but you've only spent a few quid instead of paying good money and then being on a wait if it needs fixing. All you are doing is adding a few quid onto that watch but potentially saving a shed load of time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Screenshot_20231129-121514_eBay.jpg

Maybe not the best place for such a question...

21 jewels with the last 4 being cap jewels on either side of the escapement, but only the easily visible side of wheels 2 & 3. Does a one sided cap jewel setting provide much benefit? I get that they reduce friction by keeping the pivot on its tip rather than side, but if it can still shift away from the cap jewel since there isn't another to do the same job, is the pivot not then on its side in the jewel in pretty much any position other than DU? I'm sure it's just to get the jewel count up for marketing purposes, but still. My pre-coffee mind wants to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Maybe not the best place for such a question...

21 jewels with the last 4 being cap jewels on either side of the escapement, but only the easily visible side of wheels 2 & 3. Does a one sided cap jewel setting provide much benefit? I get that they reduce friction by keeping the pivot on its tip rather than side, but if it can still shift away from the cap jewel since there isn't another to do the same job, is the pivot not then on its side in the jewel in pretty much any position other than DU? I'm sure it's just to get the jewel count up for marketing purposes, but still. My pre-coffee mind wants to know.

Even if there was a cap jewel on the dial side, the pivot will still drop off the cap jewel maker's side when the watch is turned dial down. There still needs to be end shake, the cap is mainly doing its thing when the pivot is resting down on it and then any part vertical position where it still may touch. I guess its assumed that dial up is the most frequent position hence one sided cap  jewel on the MS. That sounds feasible as the watch spends it's night that way up.

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Rust in the barrel, the spring is shot by the barrel and arbor are ok. So a decent watch only in need of a spring, crown and crystal. 

The crown and stem missing ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...