404 Club

Ever heard of Google Translate?

This is just a a bit of banter between two members who are capable of communicating in perfect English, but are using a foreign language for a lighthearted exchange. What's wrong with that? This is the Lounge, after all.

Edited by Klassiker
Spelling. My German spell-checker keeps messing up my perfect English

I use google translate a lot you might laugh I use it for German as I'm interested in things from Austria on Youtube. Well it looks as if I'm becoming unpopular on this language thing so I'll give in. No hard feeling members.   

• Like 1

Old Hippy  you will never become un popular, You are entitled to your opinion the same as all the others. It would be a sad old world if we all agree with each other. In my opinion thats what forum s are all about, discussing things,  even contraversial subjects. so lets put it to bed and carry on.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:

English only please. 

I am sorry if I offended.  I meant only to reassure  the other member that his German was fine and acceptable.  And that my "kitchen German" wasn't too much better.  I suppose I could have said that in English.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I am sorry if I offended.  

You didn't offend anyone. Friendliness and lightheartedness are always welcome here no matter the language and how sad our hearts can be at this time. Capisci?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Other than English I also speak "Cheap", and this lovely Benrus was that. It was from my "Dresser Drawer Auction" and has a Benrus FK 43/AS 1194 17 jewel movement. It was a non-runner but other than a damaged canon pinion it just needed a cleaning and a spare bracelet. Actually, it does need a crystal gasket which I still need to sort out.

SSP_569.thumb.jpg.02797500ebed98aa83c665a7c1f035c5.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I use google translate a lot you might laugh I use it for German as I'm interested in things from Austria on Youtube. Well it looks as if I'm becoming unpopular on this language thing so I'll give in. No hard feeling members.   

I'm personally fine with an "English only" rule on the forum, but on the other hand foreign language phrases, especially with context shouldn't be cracked down on too hard, it can add that je ne sais quoi to the conversation

9 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Old Hippy  you will never become un popular, You are entitled to your opinion the same as all the others. It would be a sad old world if we all agree with each other. In my opinion thats what forum s are all about, discussing things,  even contraversial subjects. so lets put it to bed and carry on.  

Well said.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, watchweasol said:

If he does maybe he will become a member of the 404 to buy list 🙂 

• 1 month later...

This is a quartz watch I picked up at a garage sale for $1.  I thought it was mechanical because it did not say "Quartz."

I put the case through the ultrasonic and replaced the crystal.  Looks nice.  The AMD logo would indicate that it was given to an employee of AMD as a service award or something.  The case appears to be gold electroplate or just gold tone while the logo appears to be gold filled or solid gold.

Now I pile it up with the other watches...lol

2022-04-23 16_24_31-20220423_161738-2.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2

I definitely would not have noticed the AMD logo had you not mentioned it. Even after, I had a hard time seeing it, and almost posted to the effect of "lets see the back" or or something, assuming that's where the logo was. Having recently built a high tech AMD-powered computer, it seems like they only recently became very competitive against Intel. Seeing such a relatively ancient relic in that context is very interesting. 

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

I definitely would not have noticed the AMD logo had you not mentioned it. Even after, I had a hard time seeing it, and almost posted to the effect of "lets see the back" or or something, assuming that's where the logo was. Having recently built a high tech AMD-powered computer, it seems like they only recently became very competitive against Intel. Seeing such a relatively ancient relic in that context is very interesting. 

I am running on a Rizen 9 5950 which my son built for me.  All of my builds have been AMD for awhile now.

I defended a patent case against the Rizen processor...and WON!!  Also defending a case against Xilinx that is now owned by AMD...so I guess I am in the AMD camp.

Lol. Looking back at what I wrote, I clearly said high tech in a very relative sense of the word! Relative compared to what would have been floating around back when whomever was doing their good work at AMD to have been given that watch. I think mine is a late Ryzen 5? It's a parts bin build. GPUs have been unobtainium and expensive lately between Covid-related shortages and the crypto mining craze, so it was essentially built around the GPU I could get my hands on at a reasonable price, then what I had lying around otherwise that would play nice.

14 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

AMD have been competitive off and on for many years. A (very) long time ago I inherited a 486 based board from a customer and built an enhanced AMD 486 machine from bits of this and that (possibly a Enhanced Am486 DX4-100), which I thought was a bit of a rocket ship for its time. I suspect that watch may be of a similar vintage.

Edited by AndyHull

A couple more watches from the "Dresser Drawer" auction I won. These are two "Juvenia Sport" 'bag watches' from (I think) the 1930's. There are some halmark markings which I at first thought might indicate the case was made with silver but I didn't see any silver markings so I guess not.

One of the watches looks to have some sort of life form growing, I fear it may petition for self governance if I don't clean it soon. Is there any chance of bringing the leather back to life?

1.thumb.jpg.3f1eec82a39892e826f0e2c5bf0327e7.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.28c6e18192d26a5916664b071d546683.jpg

I found this on the interwebs, and in their full glory this is what they *should* look like:

7_1928_1935.jpg.5d8e0b04959b6af0df17951a260ab75c.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 2

Re: bringing the leather back to life, start with oil (I usually use olive oil for conditioning leather). It's pretty far gone, but that's where you'd start. From there, you could conceivably go so far as to re-patent it (boiled linseed oil and some sort of carbon black), but with it already on the watch, you will have a difficult time keeping it contained. You could split the difference, and find some linseed oil that's NOT boiled. It'll take many coats over a long time to get some shine back to it, and it won't get darker, but it'll get shinier as the fatty acids oxidize/polymerize.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

Re: bringing the leather back to life, start with oil (I usually use olive oil for conditioning leather). It's pretty far gone, but that's where you'd start. From there, you could conceivably go so far as to re-patent it (boiled linseed oil and some sort of carbon black), but with it already on the watch, you will have a difficult time keeping it contained. You could split the difference, and find some linseed oil that's NOT boiled. It'll take many coats over a long time to get some shine back to it, and it won't get darker, but it'll get shinier as the fatty acids oxidize/polymerize.

Good stuff, I think I'll give that a try.

AsPurchasedFrontEnhanced-l1600.thumb.jpg.1a0f34c24fbcfd97e075fb1fee6a0d99.jpg

Another 404 club stopwatch.

This time branded "Smiths England".  I have no idea what is in it, however there is a very slight chance that it is more than a simple dollar watch style mechanism, since Smiths produced a wide variety of different grade movements. My gut feeling is that since it has no jewel count, it will be fairly basic inside. I'll just need to wait and see what turns up.

EDIT: Some googling and looking at near identical versions, suggests it is probably a Smiths SW43 movement (jewelled balance, no shock protection) in a Denison case.

If so, then well worth the 404 club price.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

AsPurchasedFrontEnhanced-l1600.thumb.jpg.1a0f34c24fbcfd97e075fb1fee6a0d99.jpg

Another 404 club stopwatch.

This time branded "Smiths England".  I have no idea what is in it, however there is a very slight chance that it is more than a simple dollar watch style mechanism, since Smiths produced a wide variety of different grade movements. My gut feeling is that since it has no jewel count, it will be fairly basic inside. I'll just need to wait and see what turns up.

EDIT: Some googling and looking at near identical versions, suggests it is probably a Smiths SW43 movement (jewelled balance, no shock protection) in a Denison case.

If so, then well worth the 404 club price.

Nice Andy. I was looking at a something similar on ebay UK. I have a passion for smiths watches.  They turned out some really nice stuff but also some pretty basic crap as well. I was given one a few days ago and was fortunate enough for it to be half decent. 404. Is that 4 dollars 4 cents ? Can we have a brother club in UK, it will have to be a bit more though, I very rarely see anything for less than a fiver.  Don't suppose a free gift for being a nice person counts does it ?

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Nice Andy. I was looking at a something similar on ebay UK. I have a passion for smiths watches.  They turned out some really nice stuff but also some pretty basic crap as well. I was given one a few days ago and was fortunate enough for it to be half decent. 404. Is that 4 dollars 4 cents ? Can we have a brother club in UK, it will have to be a bit more though, I very rarely see anything for less than a fiver.  Don't suppose a free gift for being a nice person counts does it ?

Ah OK. So I've read back. £4.04.  That's a bit tough. Can we divide job lot prices into equal amounts and pick the best watch from it. Or is that cheating?