404 Club

Hello Everyone,

Purchased yesterday for HKD40 (GBP4.22)...does it qualify? 

The winding stem/button/crown looks like it's being held in with Scotch tape...eeek!

image.thumb.png.72ee02251530e0b81756493d0dbe2acf.png

g.
----

Edited by Gramham
Better quality image
  • Like 3

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.e6442d04779e03cf19f08c4099880a32.jpg

I think the Montaine should look good with a little TLC and a fresh crystal.

The Timex probably will clean up nicely.

The two ladies watches probably just work, although servicing that tiny tittle Regency might be a bit of a challenge.

At an average of £1.24 each I can't really complain regardless of the outcome.

• Like 4

On 8/10/2022 at 3:42 AM, Gramham said:

Hello Everyone,

Purchased yesterday for HKD40 (GBP4.22)...does it qualify? 

The winding stem/button/crown looks like it's being held in with Scotch tape...eeek!

image.thumb.png.72ee02251530e0b81756493d0dbe2acf.png

g.
----

30's 40's Tissot 👍 good buy mate at under a fiver. Hopefully its a simple setting lever fix for you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyHull said:

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.e6442d04779e03cf19f08c4099880a32.jpg

I think the Montaine should look good with a little TLC and a fresh crystal.

The Timex probably will clean up nicely.

The two ladies watches probably just work, although servicing that tiny tittle Regency might be a bit of a challenge.

At an average of £1.24 each I can't really complain regardless of the outcome.

Andy will forever be the king of the 404 realm...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RIMG0777.thumb.JPG.3c6cf342c66ff58ceb6fe69c8f85c147.JPG

Sadly the "Regency" has no shock protection, and a broken balance staff.
The other three however now work.

The Seconda obviously needed a battery and a new strap.

The Timex need a clean and lube.

The "Montine" was a little troublesome, as it had been dropped. Nothing needed replaced other than the cracked crystal. The second hand was bent and fouling on the other hands, and the balance was way out of adjustment.

It got a clean and service, and the majority of the damage was taken care of.  Two issues remain. The hour hand needs repainted and re-lumed, and the crystal is actually a size too small, as I didn't have the correct one in my stash, so the one I used is glued. I do intend to replace this if the watch looks to now be reliable.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

Eyup. Here are 5 Timex watches that cost 23 quid in total so a little over the original 404 price budget. 3 waterproofs with snap on backs so thats non believable for starters. And if Andy's American strap a Timex to an outboard engine propeller, submerge in a large tank full of water and let rip advert is anything to go by then i dont think so lol. An unusual pink/orange dial hard edge cushion case and an m22 W.D.P  Cinderella from the late 50s early 60s which my missus really loves and is going to restore herself. 

16606869297302891755035422212607.jpg

16606870387305793796186399540815.jpg

• Like 4

70091234_CM220824-1121530093.thumb.jpg.a8a50fc3ac5fb300aa75c17e36c24d0f.jpg

I received this in a box of yard sale rejects.  The box cost $14.00 US and had twelve watches in it.  That's $1.67 if I kept all twelve but since I have only kept three, I'll accept that it actually cost me $4.67 US.  That's only 3.95 pounds stirring as of this morning.

Considering that it needed a mainspring that I salvaged from another partial Timex movement, that I already had, I hope it still qualifies.

I plan on giving it to a coworker since he has coveted my Timex Camper for some time.  Don't let him know it's a surprise.

Shane

JerseyMo,

I read the post on yours.  Nice job.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 2

A probably Swiss, maybe not, possibly in need of little more than a service, maybe not, possibly quite early judging by the jewels, (but maybe not),  keyless wound pocket watch movement. 

AsPurchased(1)-l1600.thumb.jpg.cb4fce767586b1fa52d1d6444912ff70.jpg

AsPurchased(2)WB-l1600.thumb.jpg.66de1bd57456e9213460266bcbab5cf2.jpg

Seller claims the balance is OK, so there is a chance this may be salvageable. I might even have a suitable case, crown and stem for it (perhaps). 

I guess you could argue that if I add the case, it pushes things out of the 404 club price bracket, but then gain if both items come to less than £4.04 each, then according to my completely arbitrary and illogical interpretation of the rules, that is just fine. 😋  It may of course be little more than a paperweight.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

A probably Swiss, maybe not, possibly in need of little more than a service, maybe not, possibly quite early judging by the jewels, (but maybe not),  keyless wound pocket watch movement. 

AsPurchased(1)-l1600.thumb.jpg.cb4fce767586b1fa52d1d6444912ff70.jpg

AsPurchased(2)WB-l1600.thumb.jpg.66de1bd57456e9213460266bcbab5cf2.jpg

Seller claims the balance is OK, 

Sounds like a  seller I've used before on ebay, he  always states the condition of balance. Little pieces of history.

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Sounds like a  seller I've used before on ebay, he  always states the condition of balance. Little pieces of history.

Ive had a few bits and pieces from him. Fine to deal with even on his more expensive watches. There are a few good sellers at the moment with a lot of stock. Id love to know where they get them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shane said:

Considering that it needed a mainspring that I salvaged from another partial Timex movement, that I already had, I hope it still qualifies.

Only counts toward initial acquisition cost. Just about every watch needs at least a crystal or mainspring or something, and if that went toward the cost of entry I'm not sure you'd be able to get anything under the 404 bar unless someone paid you to take it! Parts that go into making it good are not tracked at all on my ledger. Only reason to do that is if you're trying to sell it later and make a small profit. I wouldn't even worry about discounting the other 11 that came in the box. If you bought a box with 12 watches for $12 and 11 were crap, but the 12th was a Rolex, I'd personally count that as a $1 Rolex for 404 entry purposes.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 3

Got it for HKD40.00

High hopes.  Coming in the mail in the next couple of days.

image.thumb.png.dc23bdd2dbc310b50f8eb0765265817e.png

It is a SEIKO 5 7009-3260

That means it is a 7009 movement in a 3260 case...do I have that right?

image.thumb.png.80e490fe8c391205ccd1311bed22a96e.png

Do any of the experts on this forum have any advice regarding the movement or the case?

Anything to watch out for?

g.

----

44 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

What's the condition in? Is it running?

Hong Kongers are very astute and shrewd business people. There must be reason why it's going for HKD 40.00

Hello @HectorLooi,

I'm developing a "triage" protocol based on my review of various sources that have written about Watch Repairing (de Carle, Sweazey, Wiles, Walters).  Do you have anything developed along those lines, or pointers where they might be found?

I'd be interested in developing a set of SOP when it comes to the most common Watch Repairing scenarios, that summarize the consensus of a thread of discussion rather than have someone come in and swim through 28 pages of reportage.

Even now, so early in my reading up on the subject (Watch Repairing) I am noticing what I feel are patterns developing and emerging.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Has anyone else written them down in a systematic way?

g.
----

7 hours ago, Gramham said:

Got it for HKD40.00

High hopes.  Coming in the mail in the next couple of days.

image.thumb.png.dc23bdd2dbc310b50f8eb0765265817e.png

It is a SEIKO 5 7009-3260

That means it is a 7009 movement in a 3260 case...do I have that right?

image.thumb.png.80e490fe8c391205ccd1311bed22a96e.png

Do any of the experts on this forum have any advice regarding the movement or the case?

Anything to watch out for?

g.

----

Good price matey 4 quid 37 pence. Is it genuine ?  We pay much more here in the Uk for a piece like that. I would be suspect that something is off. Even if stripped for parts thats a bloody bargain for a seiko 5. 

6 hours ago, Gramham said:

Hello @HectorLooi,

I'm developing a "triage" protocol based on my review of various sources that have written about Watch Repairing (de Carle, Sweazey, Wiles, Walters).  Do you have anything developed along those lines, or pointers where they might be found?

I'd be interested in developing a set of SOP when it comes to the most common Watch Repairing scenarios, that summarize the consensus of a thread of discussion rather than have someone come in and swim through 28 pages of reportage.

Even now, so early in my reading up on the subject (Watch Repairing) I am noticing what I feel are patterns developing and emerging.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Has anyone else written them down in a systematic way?

g.
----

I would be guessing not Graham, i thought i was pretty intelligent as far the average person goes. Most of what you say goes over my head mate lol. You put the a.n.a.l in analasis. 😅

1 hour ago, Gramham said:

Thank!  How?  What can I do to detect a fake SEIKO 5?

🙂

g.

----

At just under 4 and a half quid mate if it actually has an automatic movement inside it you've probably done ok. The seiko 5s have a set criteria related to 5 aspects of what Seiko feel are important in a watch.  Not always agreed upon but from memory automatic, waterproof,  day and date, crown at 4, durable case, diafix shock, diaflex spring.  Yes i know seven here , some not agreed upon !. Seiko are bloody good at dial production, so anything off here will indicate a fake. Misalignment is an obvious point to look out for. But as old hippy says when buying a watch, always but always ask to see the movement. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

On 8/29/2022 at 5:40 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Good price matey 4 quid 37 pence. Is it genuine ?  We pay much more here in the Uk for a piece like that. I would be suspect that something is off. Even if stripped for parts thats a bloody bargain for a seiko 5. 

I would be guessing not Graham, i thought i was pretty intelligent as far the average person goes. Most of what you say goes over my head mate lol. You put the a.n.a.l in analasis. 😅

At just under 4 and a half quid mate if it actually has an automatic movement inside it you've probably done ok. The seiko 5s have a set criteria related to 5 aspects of what Seiko feel are important in a watch.  Not always agreed upon but from memory automatic, waterproof,  day and date, crown at 4, durable case, diafix shock, diaflex spring.  Yes i know seven here , some not agreed upon !. Seiko are bloody good at dial production, so anything off here will indicate a fake. Misalignment is an obvious point to look out for. But as old hippy says when buying a watch, always but always ask to see the movement. 

Hello Dear @Neverenoughwatches(or, NEW - lovely acronym, that!)

Thank you for the scatological compliment.  Accepted in the spirit given!

In my circles, I am actually considered somewhat lax, so you can only imagine what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Wiles (2016) has a bit of a triage protocol, which I jotted down and offer here for your visual delectation.  

I have added a bunch of obvious stuff...does anyone see anything missing?

(I can't believe this hasn't been done already.  I am sure I am re-inventing the wheel here...)

image.thumb.png.75f4648e6b6d2082ccdd2ec2e6f69864.png

g.
----

Post Edit:
  @Mark- You're likely going to want to slot this into another thread, I suspect.
Where should it actually go please?  Don't want to break your new system.  🙂

REFERENCES
image.thumb.png.1d71d99fea494973d27523c0fe5c2bdc.png

Edited by Gramham
Added NEW item to Fault Categories

Hello Dear @Neverenoughwatches(or, NEW - lovely acronym, that!)

In my circles, I am actually considered somewhat lax, so you can only imagine what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Wiles (2016) has a bit of a triage protocol, which I jotted down and offer here for your visual delectation.  

I have added a bunch of obvious stuff...does anyone see anything missing?

(I can't believe this hasn't been done already.  I am sure I am re-inventing the wheel here...)

image.thumb.png.0dc1af4913eb3998fdcb672c89ff8453.png

g.
----

REFERENCES
image.thumb.png.1d71d99fea494973d27523c0fe5c2bdc.png

Eyup G. Step by step proceedure info is carried out when procuring a walkthrough.  Vw watchie has been doing them for a couple of years at least that i know of and is very good at them, he is also a throughly nice bloke as well. I have spotted something missing right from the off matey. The section on most common fault catagories. #i incorrect regulation #. And its not even 6 in the morning yet, how good am i 🙄.  Ill have my rocket fuel (coffee) and have a peruse of the rest of your post.  Signing out Rich. Just found another quick one lol, ( who doesnt enjoy a quickie when you short of time ). Internal inspection. " has some numpty used an incorrect part during a repair " catagory  # watchbreaker intervention #.

Haha. Yes mate, not intended as offensive in anyway. I am pretty ocd with the things i do at work as well. I never knock anyones nature if they are a good genuine person. A little fun mention maybe but psychology fascinates me. Seeing how we are all apparently different? but actually the same but on different levels  inside is amazing. I'm studing attachment styles at the moment.  This fits us all into 4 basic catagories. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1