404 Club

Perhaps a bit more expensive than the thresholds set on the first page of this thread, but ever since we've had lots of inflation ..... so I do hope that a defect €50 watch counts as a 404 ?? 🤔

Inspired by a Swedish watch enthusiast I was looking for cheap, but good looking diver for "rough" activities, preferably with a mechanical movement, however ......

This just on eBay listed Dugena quartz diving watch was described as DEFECT, but with the overall condition (seemingly undisturbed), the slightly special shaped hands and the nice textured dial, I just couldn't help myself to take the gamble. I don't know what the casing-size is or what kind of movement sits inside. I haven't been able to find another example or the specs.

What do you think? Recoverable ? Wasted money .... a real 404? 😏

Sellers pictures;

Dugena-1.thumb.jpg.a924b41e289e36de905b144c63295b45.jpg

Dugena-3.thumb.jpg.e902ef86994f123834253cd5d86eac98.jpg

Dugena-2.thumb.jpg.0dec084629fc9f13ba026cb2fd09feb8.jpg

Dugena-4.thumb.jpg.f78cad53d63a5091f17a9ac3cf4bd991.jpg

Dugena-6.thumb.jpg.dd618382ba8f33890b159334a35be301.jpg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Does it run?  What is inside?  Can't wait to see.

Yes, exciting times ahead ! 🤩

I'll report back when it arrives ...... Germany -> Denmark with regular post shouldn't take that long; 10 working days max.

Okay, the exciting times are over 😞

Scratched => damaged coil. Resistance = ∞. Most likely scratched / damaged during battery change cause the spring loaded battery clamp has to be moved towards the coil in order to free the battery. The watch houses a 11-1/2''' Ronda 315(3) movement which is discontinued.

I either wait until one day I'll get a cheap Ronda 315 movement, or find a replacement. I read somewhere that the 11-1/2''' Ronda 715(3) can be used (?)

If that's the case, a 715(3) can be purchased by CousinsUK for £10 ......

Of course it was a bit of a gamble but if the problem can be solved for £10 .... 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Scratched => damaged coil. Resistance = ∞. Most likely scratched / damaged during battery change cause the spring loaded battery clamp has to be moved towards the coil in order to free the battery.

This can be fixed!  Just the challenge you need...have some fun!!

17 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Okay, the exciting times are over 😞

Scratched => damaged coil. Resistance = ∞. Most likely scratched / damaged during battery change cause the spring loaded battery clamp has to be moved towards the coil in order to free the battery. The watch houses a 11-1/2''' Ronda 315(3) movement which is discontinued.

I either wait until one day I'll get a cheap Ronda 315 movement, or find a replacement. I read somewhere that the 11-1/2''' Ronda 715(3) can be used (?)

If that's the case, a 715(3) can be purchased by CousinsUK for £10 ......

Of course it was a bit of a gamble but if the problem can be solved for £10 .... 😉

Hope so matey. So disappointing when this happens 😔, but its always a risk. Can we have a look inside and to see the damaged coil please

17 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Movement is ordered ...... I'm not so "quartzy", next will be the good old mechanical movement again 😉

Quartz has its place though, pros and cons against. I would say even for some die hard mechanical enthusiasts. It is still a part of the horological story. 

• Like 1

I don't get to post here very often.  But I picked up an interesting specimen at a local flea market: a TruTime talking atomic watch - for a dollar.  The vendor didn't know much about, except that he didn't know how to make it work.  To be honest, neither did I at that moment, but I intended to give it a shot.  I figured if I failed it would still be a cheap lesson.

I happened to have a 2032 battery for it, still very fresh.  As a precaution I cleaned the contacts and blew it out a bit.  Put a touch of quartz oil at the very few pivots it had, and it just sat there at first.  

So I went online to search for the setup instructions.  With their aid, I got it set and running.  Now what?

I don't need a talking watch.  And I don't want to just sell it.  My oldest daughter has a friend who is legally blind, and her sight is degenerating.  So I'm giving it to her.  Best use I could think of for it.  I have to find the link to have a braille copy of the instructions sent out.

IMG_20220701_223405.jpg

• Like 9

On 6/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, Endeavor said:

It might be worth taking a look at the coil under a magnifier. I have fixed a couple of damaged coils by applying a small dot of conductive silver paint (from the usual suspects on ebay) over the break in the coil. It doesn't always work, and depends on the damage to the coil.

Coils can also sometimes be repaired if the break is on the top layer of turns, by removing coils back to the break, and re-soldering the broken end to the solder tab. This will slightly lower the coil resistance/inductance, but not by enough to affect the performance of the coil significantly.

Its fiddly work, and arguably not worth the effort if the value of the watch is low, but if can be done. You need patience, good magnification and a very fine tip on your soldering, and 2mm or less flux core solder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403695201535?hash=item5dfe1becff:g:mRkAAOSwE5dimIom

Solder gauges go down to 0.5mm or even less, which is ideal for this kind of fiddly work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Its fiddly work, and arguably not worth the effort if the value of the watch is low...

Precisely worth the effort on a low value watch if you ever think you might want to try it on a high value watch though! 404 Club's raison d'etre! 

• Like 1

I may give it a try since there is indeed nothing to lose. The rest of the coil seems fine and this is the only spot looking "funny" (certainly not "factory-like). Pictures with my el-cheapo electronic microscope ...

S20220703_003.jpg.f7be9ec1491c3c4d86030caebb07adfc.jpg

S20220703_001.jpg.69f61ca6b246de9d125ffefdbf67790c.jpg

S20220703_002.jpg.544eec34b722ee5fe6993a7c6b44ef07.jpg

Just trying to put a spot of tin on it ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Endeavor said:

I may give it a try since there is indeed nothing to lose. The rest of the coil seems fine and this is the only spot looking "funny" (certainly not "factory-like). Pictures with my el-cheapo electronic microscope ...

S20220703_003.jpg.f7be9ec1491c3c4d86030caebb07adfc.jpg

S20220703_001.jpg.69f61ca6b246de9d125ffefdbf67790c.jpg

S20220703_002.jpg.544eec34b722ee5fe6993a7c6b44ef07.jpg

Just trying to put a spot of tin on it ??

I have had good success by unwinding from both directions, then twisting the wires together and then, using an iron with solder already melted on the tip, touch the twisted wires.  The insulation melts and the solder flows to join the wires. Often, the tag end will melt and fall off.  It is worth the effort regardless of the value because "practice makes perfect" and at some point you may run into an expensive watch that needs this service.

• Like 3

I tried with a very fine tip of my soldering iron and some silver-solder. It worked "kinda" well, that's is to say that there sits some silver-solder across the spot but there is still a lose wire hanging on the side of the coil. Most likely I've baked a bunch of coils together 😲

I do measure a coil resistance again of 1.735 kΩ and assembled the movement ...... but sadly no life to be seen .... 😞

Perhaps conductive paint may have worked but since the new rules here in the EU that anything from outside the EU (not in the IOSS) cost, here in Denmark, by definition already £21; "postal import service charges". The good old get-it-out-China days are over. On the German eBay I didn't see anything "economically justified".

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Do you have one of those quartz tester with the "speed up" feature (can't recall the proper term)?  Give it some juice and see if it comes to life.

I don't have any quartz specific instruments / tools. As said before, I'm not so "quarzy" ;-)

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

1.7k sounds about right. Try a little cleaning and lubrication, it may spring to life.

It had + 0.55V on one side of the coil and +0.44V on the other side.

Tomorrow I will try to give it a little "helping-hand". If not than it's RIP for this movement and I wait for the 715 😉

Sometimes this trick works.  Those of you with a delicate constitution may want to look away before I proceed.

Place the watch with the crystal downwards on a smooth surface.

Spin it like a top. Don't let the thing fly off the flat surface and ricochet round the room.

Stop it suddenly. Inertia will jolt the mechanism and may get it moving.

I'm not claiming this is a good idea, nor would I suggest you do it with a mechanical movement, but I have woken up a couple of quartz movements this way. You attempt this entirely at your own risk of course.

• Haha 1

To the left, I've got this self build "Zap"-everything demagnetizer.

PIC_6319.thumb.JPG.e1b6fb177393a6c341bdd7269d6e4be2.JPG.a31c8c597829990028df75c6364495ea.JPG

One can get the the wheel-train and I tried to get the motion going. All seems to run free, including the rotor, but without the life support it doesn't show any sign of life  ......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have had good success by unwinding from both directions, then twisting the wires together and then, using an iron with solder already melted on the tip, touch the twisted wires.  The insulation melts and the solder flows to join the wires. Often, the tag end will melt and fall off.  It is worth the effort regardless of the value because "practice makes perfect" and at some point you may run into an expensive watch that needs this service.

Definitely doable. I've practised unravelling a line from the end with very fine tweezers and a thin roll end of rodico, i didn't find it difficult just a bit fiddly.  I didnt attempt to solder as I'm still learning the skill of fine soldering. 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Definitely doable. I've practised unravelling a line from the end with very fine tweezers and a thin roll end of rodico, i didn't find it difficult just a bit fiddly.  I didnt attempt to solder as I'm still learning the skill of fine soldering. 

Give it a go Endeavor, if you have a replacement movement on its way, you can use this for getting some practice in before doing the  replacement. 

• Like 1

This is an absolute beauty from today's carboot from a posh old lass that was clearing her house to down size. Apparently passed down to her from her shorthand teacher 50 years ago .5 quid plus my fuel to get there 9 miles from home. I dont understand  why some people part with these things 🤷‍♂️. Its the loudest alarm clock tick I've ever heard, in mint condition. I did pick up an even better gem but thats for tomorrow unfortunately not a fiver but still a ridiculous price and something I've been after for a while.

165687664702788118754922820036.jpg

16568766683012537462915758098672.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Nice find! I've been looking for a clock like that for ages! They were clearly either not nearly as much a thing here, or fell victim to the newer is better/trash the old mentality.

Thank you spectre . I've had a very lucky day today, not just this but something really nice that I've wanted for a while . Posting it up tomorrow.  Btw. The clock is loud, really loud. Its in my bedroom and i can hear it downstairs in the kitchen. Lol . I may not sleep tonight not that do much anyway. But thats a different wierd story.