Dreaded Fixed stud beat correction. Trial and error?

5 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I believe there's been a slight misunderstanding!? As I understand it @mikepilk doesn't have the fork installed when making the assessment. Just the balance assembly.

reading skills are lacking on my part again. Usually people put the pallet fork between the banking pin and as I stated that way works but it's better if you can site through the jewel. But most people don't do that. As it's easier to look at the fork and live with the minor it's not going to be perfect. Or on some rare occasions you have watches were you can't see the jewel at all or for that matter the fork like some American full plate 18 size pocket watches

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

reading skills are lacking on my part again

No worries John, your input is always appreciated and useful! I simply wished to clarify. If you hadn't mentioned the technique, placing the impulse jewel in the fork slot and aligning the fork between the banking pins, I might never have heard about it. I will actually try it. Getting a good look at, and aligning the impulse jewel, without the fork isn't easy or precise either, but I guess it depends on the movement as well.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, Fraczish said:

However there is substantial Beat error circa 2.5ms.

As I've lately learned, but I'm no expert, 2.5 ms is acceptable if the movement lacks a stud corrector arm. Still you might try to improve it for the fun and the challenge, but do improve your skills on a scrap movement first. If you read this thread thoroughly and carefully watch the following videos I believe you will have all(?) info required. Only remains to do it, but practice first, especially if you're not already a pro with tweezers and screwdrivers.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize I was responding to the first post of the OP ?

Edited by VWatchie

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

No worries John, your input is always appreciated and useful! I simply wished to clarify.

what I find interesting is how our brains like to fill in the blanks. So I saw the word pallet fork up until you mentioned that it wasn't really there. This is actually a common problem on this discussion group we fill in the blanks for the original question without always grasping what the question actually is or the circumstances of the question. The problem of watch repair too many variables.

At one time the Swiss used to put a tiny dot  on the balance wheel to correspond to where the stud should go. This of course assumes if somebody change the staff that they put the roller where it's supposed to be.  that work we had a small Omega watch timing machine indicates it's out of beat. Note I have an obsessed boss that anything other than 0.0 is barely acceptable. So is out of beat it was not acceptable. Visually the pallet fork look perfect between the banking pins. Removing the balance wheel sure enough the stud did not a line up with the mark. That problem was fixed back into the watch visually nothing changed at all. But the timing machine was happy and now gave us a single line. It's amazing for the timing machine point of view of how little it can be off and its upset but visually it looks fine to us.

then there is another method I'm attaching an image for your enjoyment.

watch beat other method.JPG

• Like 2

I have found that lining up the regulator pins with the pallet jewel and then adjusting the impulse pin to line up with the regulator once installed works pretty well. As to the actual adjustment, I have made my share of mistakes!

You want the fork to deliver its energy to impulse jewel at the right instance( in beat).

So if you turn the balance wheel manually while keeping an eye on the fork, you can see that forks starts to move at some point, which indicates impulse jewel started engaging with the fork at that position, note the interval the fork keeps moving during, as you turn the balance. 

At the other end of the fork you have pallets to do the escapement with escape teeth, namely drop and lock, run to the drop ..,

Lock stops escape wheel.

Drop delivers energy to pallet jewel, thence to the fork.

Balance wheel would come to rest at a certain positon every way you turn and let go of it. 

Position impulse jewel so the drop happens where balance would have come to rest. You have an adjusted beat.

Fine adjustment of impulse jewel is doable with fixed studs, by threading hairspring through stud hole and pinning it as the drop takes place.