Hello from Monterey, CA.

I have been repairing mostly clocks and some watches for several years.  I have a several clocks and watches of my own that I need to repair and it seems like I never get time to do them.  I am always (so it seems) working on items belonging to other people.   With that in mind, I am thinking of retiring.  With the shutdown, it has been easier to work on several of my own things. I have also become involved in woodworking and have built a couple of clock cases using old movements.  I get a lot of satisfaction in this, but my woodworking skills are limited.

I have been a member of NAWCC since 1972.

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

20170321_140551.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JeffInMonterey said:

Thank you.  Hope your country comes out ok with this virus.  I have been hearing the news about how bad it is there.

Thank you, fatality rate dropped considerably in the wake of lockdown and its picking up speed again, new preventive measures were put into effect as of yesterday.

A bit of good news anounced on TV last night, researchers in Tehran have had success producing Vaccine, said to start testing it on human and expectedly be ready to present to WHO in three months. 

And that we expect better news from research institutes out of four other countries before long.   AmGen said to have made substantial progress, Expected of the Giant.

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

Two very nice visible escapement clocks. The first is French and I expect its an 8 day duration with rack striking on a bell. Is the other French? it looks like it, both very nice.  

Thank you.  The table regulator is based on a French design I saw a picture of somewhere.  the original clock probably dates from about 1860 and is made of black slate.  I like the simplicity of the case and having the large dial (7") and the pendulum stand out.  The woodworking was not too difficult.  However, the curved glasses on the top were very difficult to get made.  The guy had many failures in getting the curve done correctly.  The wall clock has a huge 9 inch dial.  The movement has rectangular plates, not round.  I bought the movement with the dial and I never saw a French clock like this with such a large dial.  The glass is about 3/8" thick and the bezel is very heavy.  The movement must have been in a very large slate case of some kind. The pendulum for this clock is from another clock and I modified it to fit this set up.  Both are rack and snail type striking.  The wall clock has very large springs and it runs about 10 days.

Edited by JeffInMonterey