Kevin83

Pendulum repair

Hello everyone.  I bought an old Colonial Grandmother clock which i was told runs but i cannot get it to do so.  I think a piece connecting the pendulum to the clock came loose while driving and i have no idea where to attach it to.  Thank you for any help.  20200705_152447.thumb.jpg.03b3b1d5ff2a10df91916e7060b29f1f.jpg

20200705_152522.jpg

The bit that has come adrift is the  escapement anchor, some of these fit onto a shaft and are retained with a spring wire with a flat end  . The Anchor operates on the escapement wheel locking and unlocking the wheel.  Look for the shaft on the plate   where the anchor is located.  Easy way will be to find the spring retainer and rotate it, it will lead you to the shaft.

attached images of the anchor escapement   

anchor-escapement-pendulum-clocks.jpg

images.png

Ok. So my next problem is that the right side weight will fall as soon as it is attached while the left side weight refuses to budge except for pulling it up. The prior owner lubricated the gears with WD40 instead of the proper oil. 

The right side weight is for the time and the reason its falling is the verge (the part you said fell off and you have pictured) is not attached.  The verge meshes with the escapewheel to cause that tick tock sound and regulate the motion works to keep time

Hi  The right weight is as  explained and drives the time side gear train the left is the strike side and only releases either on the quarters or on the hour depending on type of clock. fit the minute hand and move it round the dial to determine the strike pattern stopping at the quarters and watching the front plate mechanism for the release. This movement will probably have a count wheel with the slots in governed by a set of levers/wires as per the attachment.

both lever assemblies.jpg

count wheel mech w-warning.jpg

J-wire & center cam.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hi Certina was founded about 1888 by Adolf and Alfred Kurth, The K is for Kurth placed on crowns of early Certina watches. Hope this helps 
    • That video above shows Rolex hands which are made of solid white gold and responds well to polishing. Most hands on the other hand (pun not intended) are plated brass which do not as the plating can easily be worn through. Use of rotary tool not recommended. 
    • Looks good. Did you try “topping” the repaired wheel, ie. checking if the new teeth are relatively proud of the original teeth and stoning down? Must have been a really tricky job at that size!
    • Well I think I've successfully done it. Thanks for all your words of advice. My method was to first assemble the train wheels and bridge and check they were freely spinning - all good. Then I tried the barrel held by its bridge without adjusting the tooth and as expected, the spin came to a hard stop and lightly bounced back. The gap of the good teeth is around 0.4. My 0.5 screwdriver blade got over half way between the gap of the bad tooth so using this I did a straight firm push (no back and forth levering as I hoped the wedge of the blade would push apart). On pushing the 0.5 home, I moved onto the 0.6 and repeated. Then onto the 0.8 (sweating by now as it seemed to take more pressure to drive home). At this point, I tried it against the train, and again, the same happened with the bounce back. Feeling my luck was going to run out soon, I applied a tiny drop of HP 1300 oil on both sides of the 1.00 screwdriver blade in the vain hope it may ease the blade in, and it did seem to ease the push home. On examining, I recalled @AlexeiJ1's advice that it doesn't have to be perfectly straight, just more inline, and it did appear improved so trying with the train again, it spun freely with no resistance past the imperfect teeth. Of course I won't know if the performance will be affected until she's up and running but for now, I'm pleased with the result. I've attached a photo of the straightened tooth.
    • One trick I learnt is to use balsa wood. Get a block of balsa and press the hand into the end grain of the wood until it is practically inlaid into the wood. I usually polish the hands by hand with Autosol using a piece of pegwood for rubbing. Knowing what the material the hands are made of is really important. Brass is very soft. Using too much pressure will bend it. Steels are brittle and can break, especially those hollowed ones for holding luminous paint. When using rotary tools to polish, use very low speeds and light pressure. I don't like dremel tools. I prefer to use a dental lab micromotor which has better torque, speed control and less vibration.  Don't use tools that can catch the edge of the hands, like a cotton mop or felt. Use silicone polishers. I just can't work with conventional lume paste. The solvents evaporate so quickly that it's hard to get a smooth layer. I prefer using a UV cured paste. I use UV nail varnish and add lume powder to a consistency I like. Use a large oiler to spread the paste in 1 smooth stroke, using very light pressure almost not touching the hand with the oiler. Excess paste can be removed with the oiler. Then cure it in a UV nail dryer for 2 minutes.