How to close the watch hands collet without a staking tool?

Hi,

Can I check how do you close the collet of the watch hands without a staking tool? I have a upcoming watch that is on the way to me with loose hands. I don't know how to close the watch hands in order to make it tight and not loose. I heard something about the staking tool but it's very expensive. Even if I could afford it, I would not know how to use the staking tool. I want to know how do you guys do it and how and are there any pics? Thank you!!

Hi   Without a staking tool or punches it would be a ticklish job, But having neither of the required tools a steel block and a small punch you may be able to spread enough metal to effect the tightness. But take it in minute stages checking after each adjustment as over doing it will mean having to broach (ream) the hand hole. Take care

Cheers

I've got a stupid question. Has anybody tried using Loctite? :D

I've used a staking tool to drift metal to close a loose hand on a pocketwatch before. But that left a lot of dimples in the metal. Luckily it was the hour hand and the minute hand hides the defect.

• Thanks 1

Addressing the original post, it depends on what type of hands you are talking about - hours/minutes/seconds, and then the type of fitting - some collets have an extended pipe to grip the hour wheel or canon pinion, but some have none, such that the hole section is flush with the rest of the hand. The latter is more common on minute hands. 

The approach you take depends on the collet type. 

• 2 months later...

I was going to suggest pin vice, with a brass or aluminum rod in the center to keep it round, but I was assuming it has a tube, like a seconds hand. "flat" hands are trickier.

I WOULD NOT use locktite, or other "glues" on hands. Ever. I have been on the receiving end of this practice and it's not cool.