Omega 1012

Hello dear watch friends,

I have a Omega watch, calibre 1012. If I pull the stem in the second position to set te time, it slips. So I suppose there is a problem with the clutch or the date corrector joke. Am I right. 

Gr. Hans

4 hours ago, Gaus said:

I have a Omega watch, calibre 1012. If I pull the stem in the second position to set te time, it slips. So I suppose there is a problem with the clutch or the date corrector joke. Am I right.

In watch repair there are several methods of determining what the problem is. You can ask like he did in this group but this assumes that were all familiar with your exact watch. Personally I consider every single watch unique which means are all going to have unique problems. But maybe it's a common problem for the watch in which case the manufacture possibly with tell us providing you have access to current information? Then the next would be a better description and pictures because the only real way to troubleshoot a watch is to physically look at the particular watch preferably the components.

I don't suppose you've serviced the watch yourself? Omega's an interesting company for technical documentation for instance I'm attaching the parts lists. The 1012 parts list has a few parts but refers you back to the 1010 for the base caliber. Then Omega has a common technical sheets with instructions but they assume that you're familiar with the watch and there are no pretty pictures. Then Omega got paranoid in their later years and all the technical documentation is watermarked every single corner has the name of whoever downloaded it. That means anyone that has one of those with never posted on discussion group because conceivably Omega would get pissed off and terminate their account. But if you've just service the watch I can probably snip some things out because I do see some cautionary problematics stuff if you service the watch were definitely some things you need to watch out for that are not necessarily common to standard watch.

Then if for just diagnosing a watch because we like diagnosing sealed watches we don't have any pictures we didn't get a proper description I'm really go for rust. This is what happens when a watch hasn't been serviced in a long time lubrication can break down moisture can go past the crown it can rust the rust would be a good option in the absence of a better description.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Omega_1012

Omega_Omega 1010-1.pdf Omega_Omega 1012-1.pdf Omega_Omega 1010,1011,1012,1020,1021,1022.pdf

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gaus said:

Yes, I'm servicing the watch by myself. 

Have you completed the servicing and you're having a problem or was the problem there before the servicing? How do curiosity I don't suppose you took pictures of the watch when you're disassembling it?

1 hour ago, Gaus said:

the hands move. Could it be the stem (worn out)?

Stem is doing its job to move the hands.. there is probably a hot spot or broken gear tooth in the minute train or broken teeth on sliding pinion that you didn't notice. rarely enlarged hole female to the stem end. 

YouTube videos can be quite amusing at times and just because they make a video does not mean they actually know what they're doing at all just as a reminder.  Then two videos doing a similar thing still does not necessarily make it the right thing.

The first video at 6:23 something is removed from the dial side. Then continuing on in the video isn't that odd there is still a wheel on the other side? The second video is very similar in a way although conveniently we don't get to see a lot because there's a finger in the way  in front of the camera though so we don't get see the wheel coming off the dial side it's just mysteriously gone but when he's putting everything in the cleaning machine at 8:46 obviously they both read the same manual or did not read the manual at all is a wild guess there's that same wheel still on the main plate?

Then rather than just give you the answers of why the videos are wrong I'm curious how closely did you follow the videos? 

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/15397-assembling-omega-dynamic-case/

https://youtu.be/lt8tvzqF9B8

Hello John, I understand what you mean, and you are right. In watchmaking I'm a rooky. I use video's, when available, when I work on calibers I didn't see before.  It helps me by putting the movement together. I follow the procedure learned by Mark.  

2 hours ago, Gaus said:

I use video's, when available, when I work on calibers I didn't see before.  It helps me by putting the movement together. I follow the procedure learned by Mark.  

What I'm trying to figure out is whether I have to take the time to snip out  technical information out of the Omega ttechnical information or whether I can just assume that you did everything correctly  unlike the videos which I doubt they did?  Then did Mark service  one of these watches and Omega 1010 1012 etc.

Hello John, thanks for your answer. Until now Mark didn't service an Omega 1010, as far as I know. I like working with watches very much. Whilst working on a watch I follow the procedure I learned from the lessons.  I use videos when I work on timepieces that I am not familiar with. I use videos when I work on timepieces that I am not familiar with.

One of the amusing problems with watching videos is there's no guarantee that the individuals have any idea what they're doing. Like for instance to the videos I saw failed to remove something there supposed to remove? Did you know there are two Canon pinions on this watch? One of which requires lubrication of one of which does not. Just because you do not lubricate it does not mean you should not remove it and clean it for one thing you cannot oil underneath if it's all assembled. You'll notice in the video conveniently they forgot to take that Canon pinion off. I suspect nobody took the other Canon pinion off either because I didn't recognize what it was. So I'm attaching a whole bunch of images.

1012 center wheel Canon pinion part one.JPG

1012 center wheel Canon pinion part2.JPG

1012 continuation of lubrication.JPG

1012 more lubrication.JPG

1012 lubrication requirements.JPG

1012 third wheel can and pinion.JPG

1012 cousins part reference upgrade.JPG

Hello John, thank you very much for this information.  I had already found some additional information on a Swedish site, but with your information I can certainly continue. Thank you very much. Sincerly, Hans 

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2020 at 6:45 PM, JohnR725 said:

One of the amusing problems with watching videos is there's no guarantee that the individuals have any idea what they're doing. Like for instance to the videos I saw failed to remove something there supposed to remove? Did you know there are two Canon pinions on this watch? One of which requires lubrication of one of which does not. Just because you do not lubricate it does not mean you should not remove it and clean it for one thing you cannot oil underneath if it's all assembled. You'll notice in the video conveniently they forgot to take that Canon pinion off. I suspect nobody took the other Canon pinion off either because I didn't recognize what it was. So I'm attaching a whole bunch of images.

1012 center wheel Canon pinion part one.JPG

1012 center wheel Canon pinion part2.JPG

1012 continuation of lubrication.JPG

1012 more lubrication.JPG

1012 lubrication requirements.JPG

1012 third wheel can and pinion.JPG

1012 cousins part reference upgrade.JPG

Do you have complete document for servicing this calibre?

3 hours ago, PhillipWoo said:

Do you have complete document for servicing this calibre?

You're not asking the right question? Yes if you look up above I posted three PDFs one of them is titled 214_Omega1010,1011,1012,1020,1021,1022. This is the technical guide this is the servicing guide. So yes it's posted up above.

I see that you're new to the group? Your introduction didn't tell us anything about your experience and watch repair so I'll assume you're starting off brand-new? Yes the service guidepost above really is the technical guide. Some watch companies assume that the people servicing their watches don't really need a step-by-step guide. Then there's the other problem? Well actually there several of the problems let's look at this link for instance

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=Working

This by the way is a really good place to download technical information. The notice this particular search brings up Omega working instructions I would download the lubrication guide as a minimum and may be all the rest. So for instance let's look at the lubrication guide. While yes you should read the entire guide I'm going to snip off something from the corner that you may not be paying attention to normally.

Did you notice every single page on the corner is watermarked or something. There's a name of a person company name in other words for some unknown reason Omega's extremely paranoid over who is distributing their documentation. Then in case you're curious there is way more working instructions and what's here this is all they were able to get. So if you have a company as paranoid as this and you had a source other than this for Omega documents it be pretty darn stupid to post the whole thing and get somebody in trouble. So the best I can do for you is snip out things from documentations that do not appear here which is exactly what I did up above. As I really don't want to get my source of technical information in trouble and lose their Omega account there really really hard to get and they really are pqi on what you can and can't get. For instance I can't get technical information anymore because their status changed slightly so I only have what ever is able to get for a brief period of time.

Now what was your question you're asking? Servicing guides very usually for Omega the guide itself only covers things specific to that particular watch. They don't have servicing guides like other companies that show every single picture in every single part because they assume you know what you're doing.

But they might have things like general instructions  for specific calibers and working instructions for technical stuff like the lubrication guide of the other guides you can download here. So specifically what you're looking for other words you're wondering where all those color images came from your looking for something title GI_for_calibres_1010_and_family_E. Unfortunately as I pointed out my copy has wherever I got it from on every single page..

Let's look at one of the pages in the general instructions snipping out a image again being careful to avoid those pesky watermarks  Here we find out what is in the sky and if you look above you can see I have quite a bit snipped out. If there's something that's missing that in post above you could ask and I'll see if I can snippet out for you. Then we at the bottom of the table of contents like where it says the modification guide and the parts list they all have a link you can click on unfortunately I can't go there  Once I already have it. The parts list is basically the same except the newer ones should be in color and the modifications one? I don't actually appear to have the modification guide I do of a newer parts list just has pretty color pictures and all the part numbers.

So for your original question the servicing guide is up above. There's something specific out of the general instructions that I didn't snip out up above I can see if I can stepped out. But usually for Omega all the out like lubrication was at the link above and surface treating is in another guide they just do general guides for most the general stuff and they don't really have that much on exact servicing as I said they assume that you're a trained watchmaker. Versus the other companies that can have better stuff. But still it's better than nothing a lot of watch companies have nothing at all.

Omega cousins watermark in the corner.JPG

general instructions Omega 10XX.JPG

• 2 weeks later...